25% council tax reduction not applied to all charges

Alex54

Oct 15, 2018
Newtown, Wales
Looking at the the latest council tax bill I noticed that the reduction for "Severely Mentally Impaired" is only applied to the council tax and not to the local village or policing charge which is now over £400 per year.
This seems to be a bit unfair!

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I assume you post from outside the UK, not a problem but I've never heard of other charges like "local village" or "policing charge" , UK England it all comes under the council tax bill.
UK, England my wife and mum too were a mandatory disregard so I paid 75 per cent as I was treated as someone living alone.
Never heard of village tax policing charges so sorry I can't help. K

My Mum's Daughter

Feb 8, 2020
Looking at the the latest council tax bill I noticed that the reduction for "Severely Mentally Impaired" is only applied to the council tax and not to the local village or policing charge which is now over £400 per year.
This seems to be a bit unfair!
You need to query the bill with your Local Authority however, it's possible that you may also need to contact your Town Council and ask if you're entitled to 25% discount on their precept.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Fair comment, I usually avoid clicking on someone's profile and it doesn't always tell you where the person they care for lives.
I never realised that even within the UK rules like that changed so much
I usually end my posts with "UK, England rules" or similar, but in Wales the local town council and the police don't give a discount to someone with an SMI, new one on me, I'm sure you're right but what even is a village tax? K

My Mum's Daughter

Feb 8, 2020
Fair comment, I usually avoid clicking on someone's profile and it doesn't always tell you where the person they care for lives.
I never realised that even within the UK rules like that changed so much
I usually end my posts with "UK, England rules" or similar, but in Wales the local town council and the police don't give a discount to someone with an SMI, new one on me, I'm sure you're right but what even is a village tax? K
I'm honestly not sure if no discount is given or someone's made an error so @Alex54 will need to check.

Tabitha2

Sep 17, 2022
My Council Tax bill (England) shows how the charge is made up, including Police Commissioner, precept for adult social care and Town Council, etc., but the disregard is applied to the total amount. I would ring and check. Rules may vary from one local authority to another.