Update on Lionel

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
You are a very strong woman Connie. Your first thoughts are always for Lionel.
I do hope the chair will be repaired quickly, and then perhaps you will be able to insert more pages into the front of your book.
Love xx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
View attachment 2483

Am trying to think of my visits as blank pages. When I have a 'good' visit I mentally store the page at the front of my imaginary loose leaf folder.
Not so good visits go to the back, after all I won't want to remember them too often.

My own personal 'memory' book.

What a good idea, Connie.:)

Hope you can get the chair fixed soon. John too would have to be in bed if he didn't have his chair, they make such a difference.

Love,

CYN

Jan 4, 2008
east sussex
cot sides

Connie, when my husband was bed bound with cot sides I always took one side down so i could have a cuddle and put cream on his hands and generaly be close. I always had to remember to secure them before i left of course.

Love Cynthia.
hope you soon get the chair fixed.

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Hi Connie,

You do look after Lionel, he looks so comfortable in the picture. Pictures speak 1000s of words :)

You can tell from all the pictures that the takes care.

lerv
Craig

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Thanks to you Connie I stored a good memory to day :). thank you for sharing this time with Lionel with all of us xxx

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Chair O.K. again

Ten days after I first reported that Lionel chair was not fully operable it was returned, repaired, at 5.0oclock this evening.

They picked it up from the home this morning. No word of explanation to myself or the home. The last they told me on Tuesday was that the new part was 'in the post'. This was after calling in to the mobility shop . I called in again at 4.15 today to be smugly told ' it's been delivered back to the home'

After I explained that I had left the home only 15 minutes earlier, it was more of 'well it left here at 2.30 so it should have been there!!'

I have not found them at all helpful this time. They did not see what I was making a fuss about. Just because he is in end stage of dementia does not mean he should not have the best of care and attention. We have got years of this condition ahead of us still.

Ah well, all seems better this evening, after I phoned the home to make sure that all was well.

Maybe it's me, but it has not been easy knowing that Lionel has had to lie in a bed, alone in his room, when he could have been sitting in his chair, and in the day room with company.

By the way......I proposed to him today......as it is Leap Year.
He just looked blankly at me......and then puckered up his mouth for a kiss.

Who said 'romance is dead'

Grommit

Apr 26, 2006
Doncaster
Well done Connie. You have my sincere admiration for hanging on in there.

I hope you don't mind but I use your posts as inspiration and guidance for the future.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Well done Connie! So glad Lionel has his chair back, I know what a disaster it would be if John's broke down.

So are we having a TP wedding? I seem to remember Lionel proposed to you last year some time.:)

Love,

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
By the way......I proposed to him today......as it is Leap Year

Dear Connie...

I can only echo the others...love and good wishes to both you and Lionel...

Love Gigi xx..

ps...I'm off to buy a hat...:D

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
......I proposed to him today......as it is Leap Year.

Oh I wish I had proposed to my lovely hubby, BUT he did say I was the best girlfriend he had ever had. (My head is too big for comfort!!;)).

Love to you all Jan

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Dear Jan......
BUT he did say I was the best girlfriend he had ever had

That is the only thing that matters. Bless you.

It is a delicate path we tread. We cannot assume, but sometimes we just know.

Take care now, Con x

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Connie,
Your post about proposing and getting a 'puckered mouth' response reminded me of Mother's day last week.

My mother gave me a mother's day card and Ken was very upset as he always used to send me one. Mum told him to put his name on her card. He wrote on the card and passed it back to me. His writing is now very spidery, often undecipherable and muddled but there, plain as day, was the message...."Best wishes at Christmas".......!!

We all had a good laugh together.

xxTinaT

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Tina love, you have no idea how I needed a laugh tonight.......
...."Best wishes at Christmas".......!!

We all had a good laugh together.

xxTinaT
Brilliant. I looked at Lionels last Valentines card to me today. Last year. Enebriated spider witing.....have no idea what he was trying to say.....but at least he tried to say it.

This year.......best forgotten.

Take care now. Remember...."Life never came with a guarantee"

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
My dear Lionel,

We have shared a good day today. You ate a really nice lunch, and then we went into the main lounge for the Easter Service. It was the minister from the local church, good service and sang four hymns.

Lovely buffet tea afterwards, where you ate sauage rolls, and chocolate cake. Do you know any of this?, did you sense that something different was going on.?

These days I have no way of telling. Yes, I know, (at least I think and hope so) that you recognise my voice and touch, but its heartbreaking not to be able to fully communicate with you.

The grandsons came to see you on Friday, and Dougie was very upset afterwards. He thought you looked so thin. I told him how well you were eating and we chuckled together at you having two helpings of banoffee pie.

Family were all at home last evening for dinner, all 10 of us.
We drank the last of your very good wine, and toasted you, and reminissed about the good times.

I so much want to share all of this with you, and I told you all this today, but no idication from you as to whether you had even any inkling of what I was saying.

This letter will be a page in my memory book, and I will tuck a copy under your pillow. I am so glad the snow did not stop me from visiting today. I just love our time together.

My love, as always. Connie
!cid_007901c88b40$dc717510$91eb6858@personal2ofqm1.gif

BeverleyY

Jan 29, 2008
Ashford, Kent
Dear Connie

Thank you for sharing your letter to Lionel today.

I have to admit, it brought tears to my eyes - your love for him is so evident and it's heartbreaking to read at the same time as being beautiful.

Love to you both.

Beverley x

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barbrost13