Update on Lionel

Mameeskye

Aug 9, 2007
NZ
Sorry to hear about your visit today Connie. At least you got kisses and he is calm and comfortable.

Hoping that tomorrow is a better day for you both.

Love

Mameeskye

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Another lovely photo for the memory book, Connie.

Sorry Lionel was having a bad day. John was like that yesterday. Today, bright and alert. I guess they're allowed their duvet days!

Love,

Kate P

Jul 6, 2007
Merseyside
Hi Connie,

Sorry to hear Lionel was having a bad day - I hope he perks up again.

It's always lovely to see pictures of your lovely man and to know how you are both doing.

Thinking of you both as always.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Life isn't all bad. I stole lots and lots of kisses, and he is so calm and comfortable, bless him.

steal loads more :),can only imagine it must be sad hard seeing him like this for you , but its a lovely photo of your love for Lionel .yes he does look calm & comfortable . your both so lucky to have each other xx

Last edited:

fearful fiona

Apr 19, 2007
London
Dear Connie,

I always like to see photos of you and Lionel, what a wonderful couple you are. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Much love

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Friday 2nd May

Lionel had visitors today, one of his old school friends and his wife. Lionel has known C for over 50 years.

He was quiet when I arrived but as I woke him when his friends came in, just for a brief moment you could see the recognition in his eyes - just wonderful.

We sat around talking, and looking through the photographs of the three lovely holidays we had with his group of friends, all after his diagnosis. I have no idea how much he takes in, but at one point he tried to laugh - I think we were discussing a funny incident of long ago. I know visits like this are such a tonic to Lionel.

Speaking with the Senior administrator of the home, and again was heartened. She remembers Lionel walking into the flagship home of the group, some years ago, and pronouncing that "this will do nicely when my time comes". She said they would always try to meet Lionel's needs, as she would feel that they were letting him down if they did not.

Only minor blip came after one of the newer staff, after seeing Lionel guests out, remarking "was that Lionel's son?".........
GRR he has not seen his father in over 4 years, but she would not know that.

I said "No, that was a schoolfriend" and she was so upset. "But he looks so young" she replied............no, just my darling man now looks so old by comparision. I comforted her, after all she meant no harm.

All in all a lovely day.

(2 ducks had made their home in the grounds a where Lionel is, in one of the courtyards. They now have 12 ducklings, so sweet, and such a source of wonderment and pleasure for the residents)

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Dear Connie,

That's a really lovely post..and very reassuring! The warmth from the visit comes over in your words..:)

It's good that you and Lionel have friends to share time with..sounds as though Lionel appreciates it.

The Home sounds lovely..it must help knowing that Lionel is well cared for.

Thankyou!!

Love gigi xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
All credit to Lionel`s friends Connie. They must have been so pleased Lionel still knows them.

Love xx

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Those magical moments of recognition - when you are wondering if he will recognise, and instantly his face lights up - are so, so wonderful indeed. xxTinaT

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Had such a really good visit with Lionel today.

He has been 'asleep' for most of my visit over the past fortnight.
No rhyme or reason, just 'tired and out of it'.

Today - wow - like a different man. Smiling, chuckling, and at one point really trying to converse. Not just the usual one word, but trying so hard to talk.

Actually Lionel was not the only one so affected, a couple of other residents seemed very perky too. Perhaps the sunshine has awakened their spirits....who knows.

The staff were wonderful as usual, and have promised to make an extra fuss of my dear man whilst I am away (I don't know what else they could do, they spoil him so)

We are so very fortunate to have found such a good home. I almost hesitate to write this as I know it is not the same for everyone. But my lovely man deserves nothing less, so I do feel we are blessed.

I can go away tomorrow with a lighter heart:)

(P.s. Some months ago I wrote about the young girl who worked in the laundry being so kind and caring to Lionel. She started her trial training this week, to see if she has got what it takes to be a 'carer'. My money is on her passing her trial :))

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
A lovely post, Connie. I can understand why the carers look after your Lionel.

Have a really good holiday. We look forward to hearing all about it when you return.

Take care Love Jan

helen.tomlinson

Mar 27, 2008
DearConnie

I am so glad you and Lionel had such a lovely day and you have this to hold on to whilst you're away.

I wish you a wonderful adventure as well as peace and strength.

Love from Helen

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
What a lovely post Connie. :)
It`s as if Lionel had some inner inkling you needed reassurance today, so you can go on holiday with an easier heart.
And now you can. :)
Love xx

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Dear Connie,

Happy holidays!!

Have a super break..bring back some memories and pics to share with all of us..

And relax knowing that Lionel is loved and cared for..

Love gigi xx

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Just popping in to see how your both getting on , but I read that your on holiday so wishing you a restful holiday xx

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
connie said:
We are so very fortunate to have found such a good home. I almost hesitate to write this as I know it is not the same for everyone. But my lovely man deserves nothing less,

Dear Connie,
Please don't feel the need to hesitate about posting about the wonderful care Lionel receives as it is very uplifting to hear that such caring places exist. You acknowledge that places are not all like this and that's what counts.

Hope you have a lovely time away it's important to recharge the batteries. Love and best wishes, Taffy.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Wonderful news

Have seen Lionel several times now since my return from holiday.

He seems fine, certainly well cared for. He is however very tearful now, more and more. Nothing to do with my absence, as it can occur any time.

I came home to the news that Continuing Care Funding has now been approved by the panel, and that they agree not to move Lionel.

The home have been commended in handling Lionel' complex needs, and so are feeling happy, and rightly so

For me I am so glad that, apart from the monetary side of things, Lionel has been recognised as having nursing needs, and not just 'social care'. It has been a journey to get to this stage, but I felt I owed it to my lovely man.

Still trying to get my head around such good news, and felt I must share with you all. He, of course, is quite unaware of all that has been happenning.

As for me, I am glad there will be no question of him moving......O*******House has become his home, and he is peaceful and content there.