Update on David

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Dear Jan, I hope that things improved for you and for David today.

A colleague at work came in yesterday and said her partner had gone down with a mystery illness at the weekend. Hot and cold and retching a lot, unable to eat. She insisted that he visited a doctor in the morning and the doctor told him to go home and go to bed because he had flu!

I'm just mentioning this because there do seem to be some odd unseasonal things flying around. I hope that David is looking brighter today and that you are not getting too stressed.
Love x

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Thanks again folk.

Well it seems David has an infection somewhere and a high fever! The first lot of antibiotics have not helped.

I sat with David today - the Nursing Home are extremely concerned, hardly any food and minimal drink. I did manage to get 1/4 teacake and 2 teasp. jelly down him plus 50 ml. of tea.

The GP was called in this morning 'cos he had vomited again (bile) and there were signs of cyanosis. We needed to speak to each other!! I waited until 6.30 pm and no phone call (at the NH) so I took myself off down to the medical centre.

Wonderful – at the end of ‘surgery’ we had a long chat. He had put David onto a more aggressive antibiotic but wanted to clarify my thoughts about admittance to hospital – I have said ‘no’ to that.

So it’s a waiting game - the Doctor did warn me there could be a sudden deterioration if the antibiotics do not control the fever.

Bookworm

Jan 30, 2009
Co. Derry
Love & hugs Jan

As you say Jan, - a waiting game - will David respond to the new antibiotic - or is he just too tired - he is certainly very dry which does not help. You are a marvel and you have done all you can do - it is especially commendable that you have made it clear you do not want him to go to hospital (you have made it clear to the GP - are the staff who come on tonight in need of being so very clear? - if so a wee phone call might be good)- then everyone knows where they stand and David can stay comfortable in his bed, comforted by people who know him best.

Thinking of you tonight Jan, (((Jan))), Sue xx

Bronwen

Jan 8, 2010
Bristol
I am so sorry to hear about David... and I can imagine how hard it is for you seeing him looking so unwell..Also what is hard though is the feeling of utter helplessness..I watch my husband disappear more each day and its heart breaking.
take care of yourself

Love
Bronwen

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hello Jan,

Sorry to hear that David is no better..and that once again you are on the rollercoaster.

It's good to have such an understanding GP on board.

Thinking of you both.

Love xx

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear Jan,

I can imagine what you must be going through and I send much love to you and David.

With regard to fluid intake, the Hospice at Home nurse suggested to me to get an oral syringe from the chemist which I did immediately. Alan was able to take fluid easily from this when every other means failed.

Also when Alan was ill a friend came round with a jelly type dessert. It was lime jelly and when nearly set two tablespoons of natural yoghurt had been stirred in and then refrigerated. When she gave Alan a teaspoon of this concoction, I witnessed his relief. She told me it was very refreshing and I could see that it certainly was to Alan. This was a relief when all his usual favourites were no longer pleasing to him.

Much love xx

maryw

Nov 16, 2008
Surrey
Dear Jan, so very sorry to hear of David's illness. It must be really difficult for you... do hope you can get him to take som fluids xx

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Easy for me to say but please try not to worry.

David is in very good hands and you can do no more.

I always say 'no hospital' where Lionel is concerned, too much trauma I feel for them to manage.

Thinking of you both, and praying for better news for you. xx

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Dear Jan, thinking of you and David today and hoping those antibiotics get their skates on. Love from Deborah x

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
It is like having extended family. Somehow I feel less alone when I have TP members keeping an 'eye' on me!! :) So thank you all for your thoughts.

I am planning to go in at lunchtime to help feed David, if he wants any. Then I will have a break and go back at tea time. Obviously I have to see how things are. I have slept lightly with lots of thoughts flowing but I feel reasonably well rested.

Love

Status
Not open for further replies.