Unable to get into car

Hilaryy

Jun 11, 2024
Twice now husband is unable to get into the car. He can't seem to understand what to do. He's quite fit and we go for a walk most days. Any ideas?

SkyeD

Oct 3, 2022
I used to help my mum by telling her to put her bottom on the seat first then shuffle back into it (I used one arm to support her getting in and the other to protect her head from getting a bash on the door-top-opening). Then helped her to manoeuvre her legs in. It was always a struggle and she could never remember how to do it, but at least it got her in the car :)
S x

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @Hilaryy and welcome to the Forum. This is not something I have encountered but does seem quite common. I am sure you'll get help from other members.

With my wife, the issue was more to do with the seat belt. She sometimes could not work out how to use it so I would clip her in without making any comment. Of more concern was that she twice decided to release the seat belt and get out of the car while we were moving. That wasn't good for my stress and something else to look out for.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Someone once recommended putting a plastic bag on the seat , asking the person to sit on it and then their legs can be lifted so they can swivel round. It would need some one with a strong back but some people with dementia might be able to work with it

PeaceLily54

Aug 17, 2023
Gosh! @Bunpoots thanks so much for this enlightening video!! I have just spotted this thread and once again I have found a possible solution to one of my mum's problems with everyday life. Getting in an out of a vehicle is always a stressful experience for mum (and me at times) when I don't know how to help her. Mum takes at least 5-8 mins just to get into any vehicle and is very challenging. The video link you provided is quite an insight and makes so much sense! I am learning so much more as I go through this journey with her. I will be sure to try this technique out next time. :). Thank you!!

Knitterknatter

Dec 20, 2022
The one time it happened to us, we needed to get home from A&E after patient transport finished. We ended up getting an Uber for 7 people as he could just step into it.