Two years to get this bad. What now?

AL60

Oct 14, 2016
Cheshire
Hi. Yesterday afternoon I started a post. Not long into it I ran out of words. I intended to carry on with it tonight. I hadn't saved it so here I am, once again with not much to say. Empty life, empty mind. You would never know if you met me. Hi Al, how's things? Fine, always fine. On my last visit to see my wife as usual it started well, then half an hour later the mood changed. You can see it, the look in her eyes tells me it's time to leave. As i was walking towards the door my sister in law stayed back a few seconds to try to pacify her, then I felt something hit me on the back of my leg. I looked down to see a meat pie rolling across the floor. She has many problems due to her dementia, obviously it's not affected her aim. Today I went again to visit but she hadn't been well during the morning so had been confined to her room. I'll go tomorrow morning and see how she is. She's lost enough weight, the last thing she needs is a bout of sickness and diarrhoea,, (thank goodness for auto text). Yesterday she was assessed by the care home manager, not had any feedback, not yet anyway. There's a meeting next Tuesday at the hospital. Hope she's better tomorrow. Al.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Oh @AL60 I'm so sorry to read your sad post. It must be heartbreaking for you.

I do indeed wish a better today and tomorrow for both you and your wife. I'm glad you shared here and I hope it helped even a little to do so.

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Oh @AL60 , this is such a sad situation. I am so sorry you are in such torment, it’s dreadful for you. I wish I could do something, but I can only send you hugs.
With love
Lindy xx

Rolypoly

Jan 15, 2018
Oh Al, you sound so down. I hope your visit tomorrow is better. Sending you lots of hugs to see you through.

AL60

Oct 14, 2016
Cheshire
Hi, thanks to all of you. No visit today, sorry Saturday,still confined to her room. I honestly don't know what this will do to her. She's lost enough weight already. Ill just have to call again in the morning and hope there's some improvement. Margarita asked if I went to the Drs. Yes, but it wasn't as I thought. It was a visit to a woman from something called the health improvement team. She works for the local council. Her first check was blood pressure, higher than usual, no wonder, I'd just battled through Friday teatime traffic on the 25 mile trip from the hospital, then she asked me how I could reduce stress levels:mad:. Now, there's a question. Then questions about diet and so on and so on. I was recalled as a result of my last blood test, when she had a look at the results it turned out they were mostly in spec, or just a little over. I somehow think I've other things to worry about at the moment.;). Oh well, I feel better for that:)Well it's getting late now so I'll sign off again, I'll be up early tomorrow morning to call the hospital to see how she is. Al.

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Good to hear from you @AL60 :)
What a nuisance that the 'Dr's' appointment was so low key. She's asking you how you can reduce your stress levels :eek: If it were me I think I might have blown my top......
Anyway I'm sorry to hear that your wife still isn't well. I hope you get better news tomorrow.
All the best
Lindy xx

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Hi Al, I had a similar Dr appointment a few weeks ago...it was no help at all. I think sometimes other people suggest we visit a Dr as they can’t think what else to suggest. Unless the NHS start handing out magic wands to practitioners, there isn’t a lot that can be done.
The only good thing I’ve thought of, while you wife is ill, is that being in a home they will have instant access to those high protein drinks, so as soon as she can keep something inside her, they can start getting calories into her.

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Good to hear from you @AL60 :)
What a nuisance that the 'Dr's' appointment was so low key. She's asking you how you can reduce your stress levels :eek: If it were me I think I might have blown my top......
Anyway I'm sorry to hear that your wife still isn't well. I hope you get better news tomorrow.
All the best
Lindy xx
Ah, Lindy, this is the latest thing, it's so called empowerment whereby you ask the poor sod who is suffering what they are going to do about it ... all sympathy. Gxx

Rolypoly

Jan 15, 2018
Hope your wife is better soon and you can visit her. Try not to worry, let the care home do that instead. Easier said than done I know.

AL60

Oct 14, 2016
Cheshire
Hi. Just returned from an afternoon visit. It's the first time I've seen her since Wednesday. I was shocked to see her today, she's still in her room even though she's been free any sickness and diarrhoea for the last two days. She's still not eating, has appeared to have lost even more weight and on top of that they think she might have a uti. She needs fluids but won't drink, she's been prescribed antibiotics but won't take it, not from me anyway, then why couldn't a nurse get het to take it. Then there's the unexplained bruise just partially hidden under the hairline, right side just above her eye.she needed to go to the toilet, it took three assistants to help her on and off and back into bed. The way things are I think it's going to be a while before any care home Will take her on. Tomorrow morning there will be another best interest meeting, I can't wait to go to that one! Al.

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
Oh Al, what a nightmare! Good luck with that meeting, let's hope something positive happens then x

Rolypoly

Jan 15, 2018
I was hoping your visit would alleviate your worries not add to them :(. Hope you get a more positive outcome from the meeting tomorrow, good luck.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Hopefully you are sound asleep now, but good luck for the meeting later. You can ask about the bruise, Al. If she cannot move alone, then they should have witnessed it and will know how it happened.

AL60

Oct 14, 2016
Cheshire
Hi. Today things were much better. I arrived an hour early so I could see her before the meeting. All our questions were answered, including the bruise. It happened when she fell out of bed. Honestly, I couldn't believe the difference between yesterday and today. What a difference a shower and some clean clothes make. She's now having to use the wheelchair at all times, hard to believe that a few months ago she could manage without. There's still the problem of monitoring what she's eating, or rather not eating. Yesterday I forgot to take her washing home. This morning when I looked in the bag yesterdays evening meal was in it, plates and all. Another meal carefully prepared and monitored;). So, to see her out in the dayroom, washed and dressed drinking tea and eating jam on toast, it made me feel a bit better to see her. I'll visit again tomorrow, Wednesday, that's later today isn't it:), and hope for more of the same. :)Al.:)goodnight.