Hello i am lyn

Lynchapman

Apr 30, 2024
Hi I am new and need support with my freinds dad who will not drink,but does eat. He gets dehydrated.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @Lynchapman and welcome to the forum. Your friend is lucky to have you trying to help them. It can be hard to get a person with dementia to drink. sometimes they just forget and need constant reminding. But it is important to keep them hydrated as it lessens the risks of UTIs etc.

It might be an idea for your friend to ask if his father can be referred to the speech and language therapy (SALT) team so check if there is any physical reason why their father is not drinking. In the meantime they could offer foods with a high water content, jellies, fruits etc to help with the fluid intake.

Hima

Apr 30, 2024
My Uncle faced a similar satiation.

It's good that he's still eating, but dehydration can be serious. Encourage him to drink fluids regularly. You could try offering different types of drinks to see if there's something he prefers, like flavored water or herbal teas. If he's still struggling, it might be best to consult a healthcare professional for advice on managing his hydration needs.