TWO REVOLUTIONARY STUDIES SET TO BRING BLOOD TESTS FOR DEMENTIA A STEP CLOSER TO NHS

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I think they said that it can take twenty years for symptoms to appear so as I have this, that and the other on my brain where will I be in twenty years time? I think I better just enjoy and look after myself now!

MaNaAk

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I think they said that it can take twenty years for symptoms to appear so as I have this, that and the other on my brain where will I be in twenty years time? I think I better just enjoy and look after myself now!

MaNaAk
Don't worry, most likely 20 years before routine testing of ~50 year olds becomes standard.

Rayreadynow

Dec 31, 2023
The fact is no matter when its identified:

-they wont be able to say how quickly it will progress

-care will still be difficult and costly to access

-deprivation of assets could be disputed by the authorities

Whisperer

Mar 27, 2017
Southern England
I would not worry about this to much. The process (if it happens) will just be a new part of NHS rationing. Oh your blood test shows early Dementia. Pity as now you can join the waiting list for treatment. Unfortunately it is rather long and the outcomes are somewhat variable.

Sorry to be so negative but in my less than a decade of close up experience with Dementia I have seen several.

1) This is potentially a game changer.
2) Within a few years this will revolutionise……
3) NHS will not be able to fund said game changers.

Truth is any way those caring for their loved ones at present will see no immediate change. I pray for an effective treatment, that is soon and affordable. Todate my prayers go unanswered.