Turmoil - Long post advice needed

fullmoon

May 22, 2013
My mum is 86, she has been living in an EMI care home for nearly 4.5years.
Her communication skills were poor going there and have been almost non-existent for over 2years and she became doubly incontinent not long after admittance. She lost a great deal of weight through constantly walking the corridors and rooms. A little over a year ago she fell and broke her right hip. She underwent surgery and was in hospital for many weeks later as other issues arose. After this she was transferred to EMI nursing. Amazingly she did learn to walk again but became increasingly frail and was eventually confined to a wheelchair. In April I was told she could no longer transfer and had been assessed for a hoist.
Last Wednesday evening I received a call late at night to say paramedics had been called due to mum having difficulty breathing (earlier in the month she had received antibiotics for a chest infection). When I arrived the paramedics said she was showing all the signs of sepsis and wanted to take her to hospital. After last years experience I was somewhat reluctant. Mum has a DNR in place and I wish her to go peacefully in the care Home. However, after discussion I agreed. The doctor at the hospital assessed her - SATs were 80 and she had a very high heart rate. He said he saw no point in treating my mum and sent her back to the care Home for palliative care. I totally agreed with this decision as my mum has no quality of life left at all. On Friday morning her condition declined further and the Home called the GP he instructed the Home to stop all medication and prescribed Subcutaneous diamorphine injections to be administered upon signs of distress/pain. Friday all through the night her breathing was very laboured and heart rate very erratic. Saturday morning her breathing seemed easier. Between Friday and early hours of this morning she had 5 injections. She still would take small amounts of liquid but not food and was semi-conscious. Today however she has been far more awake, been smiling, drank over a pint of liquid throughout the morning and evening and even ate a pot and a half of yogurt! The doctor who came to review was apparently astonished and so are we! The priest had even been out to give her the sacarament. The nurse in the care Home has told me this evening that the doctor is coming tomorrow and will probably take my mother off diamorphine and prescribe pain patches. Her SATs are now 90 although her heart rate is high.
I feel such a terrible person I just want my mother to finally find peace - she has no quality of life whatsoever.
I am concern that if a sudden relapse occurs that she will have no access to the diamorphine. Is my mother likely to continue to improve or is this just a temporary improvement? As anybody experienced this happening on end of life care?

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
My mum is 86, she has been living in an EMI care home for nearly 4.5years.
Her communication skills were poor going there and have been almost non-existent for over 2years and she became doubly incontinent not long after admittance. She lost a great deal of weight through constantly walking the corridors and rooms. A little over a year ago she fell and broke her right hip. She underwent surgery and was in hospital for many weeks later as other issues arose. After this she was transferred to EMI nursing. Amazingly she did learn to walk again but became increasingly frail and was eventually confined to a wheelchair. In April I was told she could no longer transfer and had been assessed for a hoist.
Last Wednesday evening I received a call late at night to say paramedics had been called due to mum having difficulty breathing (earlier in the month she had received antibiotics for a chest infection). When I arrived the paramedics said she was showing all the signs of sepsis and wanted to take her to hospital. After last years experience I was somewhat reluctant. Mum has a DNR in place and I wish her to go peacefully in the care Home. However, after discussion I agreed. The doctor at the hospital assessed her - SATs were 80 and she had a very high heart rate. He said he saw no point in treating my mum and sent her back to the care Home for palliative care. I totally agreed with this decision as my mum has no quality of life left at all. On Friday morning her condition declined further and the Home called the GP he instructed the Home to stop all medication and prescribed Subcutaneous diamorphine injections to be administered upon signs of distress/pain. Friday all through the night her breathing was very laboured and heart rate very erratic. Saturday morning her breathing seemed easier. Between Friday and early hours of this morning she had 5 injections. She still would take small amounts of liquid but not food and was semi-conscious. Today however she has been far more awake, been smiling, drank over a pint of liquid throughout the morning and evening and even ate a pot and a half of yogurt! The doctor who came to review was apparently astonished and so are we! The priest had even been out to give her the sacarament. The nurse in the care Home has told me this evening that the doctor is coming tomorrow and will probably take my mother off diamorphine and prescribe pain patches. Her SATs are now 90 although her heart rate is high.
I feel such a terrible person I just want my mother to finally find peace - she has no quality of life whatsoever.
I am concern that if a sudden relapse occurs that she will have no access to the diamorphine. Is my mother likely to continue to improve or is this just a temporary improvement? As anybody experienced this happening on end of life care?
It was a different illness, but a similar thing happened at the end of my dad’s life. He was slipping away, had an amazing, astonishing day, but then he passed. It happened to a lesser extent with my husband, and I think it is not uncommon. As far as the access to the diamorphine is concerned ...it sounds as though the GP and care home act quickly, and I am sure it could be put in place again, if needed. End of life care is horrible and can be confusing. I think we have set ideas of how the end will be...but can never be fully prepared for the reality of the rollercoaster it actually is.
I wish you well at this very difficult time.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
When DNR is in place or Palliative care advised, the priority , as I see it, is to keep the patient as comfortable as possible, to allow them to die in peace.

If fluids are offered and accepted , it seems unfair to withhold them even if they prolong life and improve the condition of the patient.

It is a rollercoaster ride for the family but the best is being done for your mother @fullmoon . I hope the doctor does not withdraw pain relief. It is the least anyone can do for her.

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
I've replied on the other thread, but yes in my experience there can be many 'mini-recoveries' and in fact at the end my mother didn't need access to the syringe-driver, but all was very peaceful.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Of course you feel that and it certainly doesnt make you a bad person.
The last year of mums life was a roller coaster too with pneumonia, a stroke, countless UTIs, further chest infections and oral thrush. Twice during that time I had been told that she would not survive, but she did.
It makes you feel terrible - you want it over, you want her to have peace, yet you do not want to lose them. All your emotions muddled up.
(((((hugs)))))

fullmoon

May 22, 2013
Thank you for all your replies.
When I went in this morning mum had taken a downturn. She had a diamorphine injection at 5.30am and has had another at 11am. Her feet are now cold and her breathing was more laboured before the injection. I am awaiting the GP who is due to review her. I pray that she will find peace soon from this horrendous disease.

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
When I went in this morning mum had taken a downturn. She had a diamorphine injection at 5.30am and has had another at 11am. Her feet are now cold and her breathing was more laboured before the injection. I am awaiting the GP who is due to review her. I pray that she will find peace soon from this horrendous disease.
Thinking of you at this very trying and emotional time

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Dad had a day before slipping into unconsciousness and end of life where he seemed to rally...I think it can be quite common. After becoming uncommunicative he lasted 6 days and as you are describing coldness in his feet that may travel up the legs plus difference in breathing which may be cheyne stokes..the end of life period may be happening. I hope that she will continue to be painfree and comfortable and send you a big hug and strength at this difficult time

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Yes, in her final 48 hours mum limbs became cold and her breathing changed so that there were long gaps and I wondered whether she had died, but then she took another deep breath and it started again. Her eyes became opaque too.

I think this is probably the start of the last long vigil
((((hugs)))))

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
You are in our thoughts...you and your lovely mum, bless her.

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands

Big hugs go out to you & your mum xx

fullmoon

May 22, 2013
GP called earlier and is arranging for the district nurse to administer a syringe pump driver. I believe mum is now nearing the end of her long journey. Thank you all for your kind words and advice xx

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
GP called earlier and is arranging for the district nurse to administer a syringe pump driver. I believe mum is now nearing the end of her long journey. Thank you all for your kind words and advice xx

Bless you @fullmoon let your mum know that it is ok for her to let go & be at peace & sending you lots of strength xx

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Keep talking to her..stroke and hold her hand...she will know you are there...most importantly for you though...try and take breaks eat and rest...you are a loving and caring daughter ...I know from being with my dad at his side how hard these last few days can be filled with mixed emotions that your mum is nearing release from this horrible illness.

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
Keep talking to her..stroke and hold her hand...she will know you are there...most importantly for you though...try and take breaks eat and rest...you are a loving and caring daughter ...I know from being with my dad at his side how hard these last few days can be filled with mixed emotions that your mum is nearing release from this horrible illness.
Very wise advice this.