Advice needed!

jknight

Oct 23, 2015
Hampshire
My lovely auntie has late stage alzheimer's (moved to a nursing home a few weeks ago) She had a stroke on Tuesday. She can't speak. She is totally lost, not recognising anyone. Feeding tube & hydrated by drip. When she is discharged, will a nursing home be adequate for her needs? (the nursing home she was in didn't recognise that she had suffered a stroke, despite the lopsided face and new inability to speak)
She is bedbound and will need more nursing care than someone popping in to give medication!
My lovely mum (her older sister) also has alzheimer's but is still living independently. Such a worry

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Sorry to hear about your aunt's stroke, and current condition.
I suppose there are a number of questions, really. Do the doctors foresee her regaining the ability to eat and drink by mouth, or has her ability to swallow been permanently compromised? Because if she doesn't regain the ability to eat and drink (even puréed food/thickened drinks), coupled with your description of her as not recognising anyone and appearing "lost", then her family may need to talk to the doctors about the best outcome for your aunt.
The other questions are, will she recover enough to be discharged, and if so, would you be happy to have her cared for in a "nursing" home that couldn't recognise stroke symptoms in an elderly person? Is it a nursing home or a residential home (without nursing staff)?
If your aunt gets discharged, I would think you need somewhere that has nursing care and can provide end of life/palliative care. Because if you have to find another home now, you certainly don't want to have to find another one later.
Lots of angles to be considered. Don't be rushed into decisions. Doesn't the home assess her to decide whether they can meet her needs before she is discharged?

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I agree with LadyA, to qualify as a nursing home they should have a registered nurse on site 24/7 and I can't see how someone would miss the obvious symptoms you describe in your post.
You say she is going to get "discharged" so I assume at present she's in hospital?
Whether the previous home is willing (or able) to take her back and meet her needs is up to them to decide and for to agree.
If she is in hospital then it's up to the hospital to have a meeting and decide; when, where and how she is discharged, it may be that a social worker is needed to assist in the process and someone with very high dependency may be better cared for in a hospice rather than a nursing home.
K

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GMK