Travel Insurance

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Also you can no longer claim back the extra cost that locals cover by insurance.
I am aware that the extra cost in Majorca is nil.
I an also aware that emergency treatment is always free, but not after care which may be a spell in ITU.
My son in law was transported 30 miles to change hospitals in France, my daughter claimed back €3000, the transfer was a medical necessity.
If you are relying on EHIC study the country specifics.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
What does One do when the Insurance says not much choice

Medical Screening Results
Policy not suitable

Unfortunately we are unable to offer cover in this case under the standard ********* policy.
However, if you would like an alternative quote with your pre-existing conditions excluded you may wish to visit our ***********website at www.********.com or contact the ************ Customer Services Helpline on 0845 xxxxxxx

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"What does One do when the Insurance says not much choice"

You either accept the increased premium or 'self insure'

In the case of Majorca to 'self insure' for treatment is reasonably OK but for repatriation (dead or alive) you need to be well heeled.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
"What does One do when the Insurance says not much choice"

You either accept the increased premium or 'self insure'

In the case of Majorca to 'self insure' for treatment is reasonably OK but for repatriation (dead or alive) you need to be well heeled.

well thats the downside of getting old with medical conditions I don't want to be brought home if I died told my wife to leave on a seat on sea front remove my I.D and come home at least ill be in the sun !!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
OK, you think corpse on the prom is OK.
That leaves an accident leaving you paraplegic in Majorca giving your wife a decision to make.

Last edited:

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
My uncle died on holiday in Benidorm and his body was returned home. I can't imagine the anguish my aunt would have gone through if she had had to deal with the consequences herself.

And a colleague injured his back whilst on honeymoon in South Africa and had to be airlifted home.

Sadly, these things actually do happen.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
I’m sorry but I do think it’s a personal decision it go with or without Travel Insurance there are risk’s agreed , unlike a Car Insurance which is compulsory , I obviously weight up the advantages against the disadvantages , I’m 72 gone past my threescore and ten years remember if you read my previous threads I tried almost every Insurance company in UK but they all ask exactly the same questions I even paid for a G.P report on my medical condition , but it did make the slightest difference , but it won’t stop me going on Holiday I have holiday booked for Tenerife in October this year and Majorca again next May what I mustn’t do it worry about my health (or death ) stop me

I haven’t given up on trying to get Insured and have an appointment with bank next week so fingers crossed { I was insured with them for 10 years but the cancelled it last September so No guarantees }

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Thank you for that one Just tells us why we shouldn't rely on Travel Insurance

refuse to pay out because he 'forgot to tick a box'

Thing is if the Box was ticked its a possibility the Travel Insurance company wouldn't have given him Insurance

it can go both ways when I ask for a quote and put down my heart attack "yes"
but add the dementia answer No { yet I drive a Hire Car on Holiday no problem from them)

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I suggest you look up uberrima fides.

If he had ticked the box he would have been covered, albeit at an increased premium, or he could have refused the contract, travelled, and taken the consequences.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
I suggest you look up uberrima fides.

If he had ticked the box he would have been covered, albeit at an increased premium, or he could have refused the contract, travelled, and taken the consequences.

Hi nitram nice to have a conversation but I would take the consequences myself I always lived dangerously taking a few chances possible one day I will come to untimely death but after 72 years haven't much to complain about if that happens as I said previously it's the insurance companies that don't want to give me insurance so must be high risk !!! Never mind can't have everything

Optomistic

Jul 24, 2014
Manchester
We both got a cover with Anchor insurance for Malta one week. My husband has early Alzheimers, type 2 diabetes and Glaucoma. For the two of us it cost £110 and they werent that bothered about the Alzheimers didnt want to know what stage he was at.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
We both got a cover with Anchor insurance for Malta one week. My husband has early Alzheimers, type 2 diabetes and Glaucoma. For the two of us it cost £110 and they werent that bothered about the Alzheimers didnt want to know what stage he was at.

Thanks Optomistic that sound a reasonable price, I think I did phone Anchor if I remember they took my details and looked for different companies { I maybe confusing them with another tried so many } I just don’t get it I must be doing something wrong the Insurers will accept my medical conditions and give me insurance for 14 days between £75 to £100 obviously I have to tell them I have Frontal-temporal-dementia { they have No idea what that is } so I have to choose Dementia at that point I get Sorry Unable to Quote , please phone xyz don’t bother phoning any more because it just get so stupid ,