Things I don't worry about any more

Rishile

Dec 28, 2022
So if we were able to have a dementia carers meet up half of us would be super scruffy and the other half dressed to the nines 🤣🤣 what a bizarre bunch we would be!
I know what table I will be sitting on.

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Well this had give me a laugh this afternoon if nothing else. Because I buy all of mums clothes and I want them to be easy to put on/get off I tend to get joggers and sweatshirts and I look at her and think well if this is what it comes down to why bother. 🤷🏼‍♀️

hillyjay

Jun 14, 2019
Can I be one of the super scruffy ones please but be allowed to wear eye pencil? I’ve found that if I take my specs off for a while before doing my eyes I can focus better. Then I put them back on and double check my efforts in the mirror. Then I try and rub off some bits and redo them. I’ve discovered that with a bit of practice I can just about do my brows wearing specs using the top of them as a guide😁

hillyjay

Jun 14, 2019
PS. If we have a dementia carers meet up in summer it won’t matter because we can all wear sunglasses so don’t need to bother with eye stuff.😊

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I'd be in the former halfnof the grouping, super scruffy. Putting land drainage in and make up just don't coexist, I've given up, dressed up to the 3s let alone the nines is an ambition I'm yet to fulfil. Still it keeps me busy on the bad days. K

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
I'd be in the former halfnof the grouping, super scruffy. Putting land drainage in and make up just don't coexist, I've given up, dressed up to the 3s let alone the nines is an ambition I'm yet to fulfil. Still it keeps me busy on the bad days. K
you need to find out your mood colour make-up and maybe a personal shopper 😂 😂😂😂

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Well I'm colour blind so that first one is out and Mrs nextdoor or her sister take me shopping, unless it's for land drainage system, in which he takes me for that, next job on.
Colour coordination and posh frocks, we have drains to lay. K

Cardinal

Oct 4, 2023
I would definitely be in the scruffy group. The last time I put on makeup was when my daughter got married 17 years ago.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I understand you, I am the same, priorities change. But, the one thing I am trying to do now is when I go out, even to the shops, I try to dress nicely and even wear make up, this is because few months ago a friend told me that I looked more wrinkled and generally owful! so I decided to make an effort. Also, because I don't do a lot of socializing these days, any outing to the shops even is an excuse to try to look better...
I’m with you totally!

I do the garden when I feel like it, housework when I can’t stand the sight of it anymore and try and let the dryer take care of most of the ironing.

However, I get my nails done when they need it, get my haircut regularly and love to update my wardrobe. I do try and look nice if I am out for lunch with my daughter or meeting a friend for lunch.
I love visiting charity shops and half my wardrobe was bought from there.

I can’t control my situation but I am trying very hard to keep me together and this is the only thing I can do. I wear bright clothes and shoes and don’t care if people think I look a bit outrageous. My daughter is taking me to one of those Best of British 60s and 70s pop music concerts soon and I am going to wear my silver boots (bequeathed by my granddaughter ) and a spectacular jacket that has bright electric blue shiny spots.

This is just my way of thumbing my nose at what has happened, a token of pure defiance to say that I can’t let myself be beaten by this.

2ndAlto

Nov 23, 2012
I’m with you totally!

I do the garden when I feel like it, housework when I can’t stand the sight of it anymore and try and let the dryer take care of most of the ironing.

However, I get my nails done when they need it, get my haircut regularly and love to update my wardrobe. I do try and look nice if I am out for lunch with my daughter or meeting a friend for lunch.
I love visiting charity shops and half my wardrobe was bought from there.

I can’t control my situation but I am trying very hard to keep me together and this is the only thing I can do. I wear bright clothes and shoes and don’t care if people think I look a bit outrageous. My daughter is taking me to one of those Best of British 60s and 70s pop music concerts soon and I am going to wear my silver boots (bequeathed by my granddaughter ) and a spectacular jacket that has bright electric blue shiny spots.

This is just my way of thumbing my nose at what has happened, a token of pure defiance to say that I can’t let myself be beaten by this.
You go girl! Hope you have a blast - you'll be singing along with the best of them!

Scarlet Lady

Apr 6, 2021
Good for you, @Lawson58. I’ve loved your photos of your previous purchases. Wear whatever makes you feel good and tells the world how special you are. Enjoy the concert!

Helly19682

Feb 26, 2024
I think there is an inverse law here, that the cleaner my Dad's house is, the worse my flat is.......

I also don't worry about my slight obsession with steam mops. Surely the best thing since sliced bread for cleaning dirty floors.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I think there is an inverse law here, that the cleaner my Dad's house is, the worse my flat is.......

I also don't worry about my slight obsession with steam mops. Surely the best thing since sliced bread for cleaning dirty floors.
I bought one of those, an expensive little gadget that I thought was going to be a blessing. The trouble is that it didn’t like tiled floors, only flat ones that didn’t have grouting.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Good for you, @Lawson58. I’ve loved your photos of your previous purchases. Wear whatever makes you feel good and tells the world how special you are. Enjoy the concert!
Out doing some shopping the other day, wearing a lovely little cotton top, all pinks and oranges Aussie brand and a favourite. A young woman stopped me because she wanted to tell me how exciting it was to see someone wearing a piece that she had designed!

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Out doing some shopping the other day, wearing a lovely little cotton top, all pinks and oranges Aussie brand and a favourite. A young woman stopped me because she wanted to tell me how exciting it was to see someone wearing a piece that she had designed!

Wow That's brilliant!

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
My OH gave up make up etc some while ago when she couldn't co-ordinate her holding stuff, like lipstick, or eyeliner. This was, for her, a huge step, and a great frustration. She felt she was letting herself down.

It's been so long, that I offered daughter and granddaughters (in their 20s) the make up - loads of it accumulated over the years etc - and what they didn't want has been thrown out. Jewellery , mostly kept, but some distributed in the family. Doing that made me feel like I was clearing stuff out, after a death, even though OH still v much here.
Since she has been unable to follow instruction, home visit hairdresser no longer comes. She has to rely on me now for hair washing, drying, cutting, styling etc but I don't do colouring.
Despite what everybody thought of the AS advert, each little step has seemed like a little bit of my OH dying.

As she is bedbound, wearing bed wear day and night, whether in bed or chair, my daughter says I should start going through her clothes. I've done shoes she's never going to wear again, and most of her collection of handbags, I got too sad when looking at her wardrobes and had to stop. There's no hurry.

House work, when necessary. Yes, I change clothes, bedwear, bedcovers regularly, just less often than before. The washing machine is already overworked! In the first lockdown I bought a barber's shaver razor, and I cut my own hair once a month. Yes, I still shave.

When one is a full time carer priorities change.

Just have to KBO

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fi83