The Long Goodbye: our new advertising campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christy21

Oct 9, 2016
I’ve seen the tv ad on Sky and I thought it was moving and accurate. The public needs to be educated that there are dozens of different dementias, not simply memory loss.
Well I think it sucks, just my opinion and I don't want to post negatively but it sucks big time, I hope you didn't pay some advertising agency mega bucks to come up with this stuff (shall we say).
I will stop contributing if you're giving my money to some some adverting t company to come up with this well say pathos ridden *****.
K
thats your opinion. Mine is tgat the Agency deserved every penny
Hard to watch. Harder to live with. The disintegration of a person as your loved ones watch helplessly. It is horrible. It is fighteningly costly to the mental and physical health of those affected, their carers and their family. In my opinion honesty is essential to tackle this disease. There was a time when people would not talk about cancer and HIV,it was so scary. But now there is vast research and treatment. We need a cure, of course we do, and in the meantime we need to stand together as PWD, their carers and loved ones hand in hand with the next generation to see the scale of the challenge and tackle it.
agreed. I hope one day there will be assisted dying for those people in pain.

Crouchy

Jun 1, 2023
My wife of 43 years had early onset Alzheimer's at the age of 65. Personally I feel the advert is not portraying a hard enough message - it's not an old age disease - it doesn't spell out your own statistics about the number of people that don't realise it's the biggest killer - you can survive cancer but currently an Alzheimer's diagnosis is a death sentence for the person and their family and friends. It's crueler than you are portraying. I do think however you have captured the fact that as partners/carers we go through bereavement more than once. Please keep up the good work though - you are much appreciated....

Christy21

Oct 9, 2016
My wife of 43 years had early onset Alzheimer's at the age of 65. Personally I feel the advert is not portraying a hard enough message - it's not an old age disease - it doesn't spell out your own statistics about the number of people that don't realise it's the biggest killer - you can survive cancer but currently an Alzheimer's diagnosis is a death sentence for the person and their family and friends. It's crueler than you are portraying. I do think however you have captured the fact that as partners/carers we go through bereavement more than once. Please keep up the good work though - you are much appreciated....
Well said I agree

MaureenB

Oct 17, 2022
I am very concerned that my Husband who has Alzheimers will see this and be really upset by it. If you could publish when this was going to be shown I could make sure he would not see it. He knows nothing of what the future will bring and this could cause a really bad reaction.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
The advert is very emotional and hard hitting. I understand awareness is needed, but I wish there was a warning before the advert as there is on this page. I wad diagnosed in January with Young onset Vascular Dementia, I was 47. I am still coming to terms with my diagnosis whilst trying to support and reassure my son who has complex special needs. It is extremely scary to know what is going to happen to me but not when, the advert had me in tears and hasn't helped my mental health at all. I don't think the sufferers themselves were thought about when making this advert, especially those starting out on this awful journey
hi Clare

This must be awful for you. I agree the ad needs a warning on it. I can’t imagine how it is for you right now. If it is helpful for you to come back to the support forum for advice and help please do. There are a number of folk here who have dementia and many of us supporting people.

sending you strength xxx

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Can there ever be an advert that shows what dementia is like without it causing offence to some who see it?

I think there are parallels here with this forum. I've often thought how harrowing it must be for someone newly diagnosed or in the early stages of dementia to read some of the posts here.

In the end, we either talk about/show dementia or we don't. I'd hate to return to the days of 'Let's not talk about grandma - she's just getting a bit old.'

Watson1

Sep 4, 2023
i have alzheimers we all know where the road leads this is for the millions of others who turn a blind eye to life issues that we all signed onto when we were born . oh it won't be me. well it is me. this is my reality and I'm going to give it hell until i don't know it anymore. it sure isn't the first time in my 70 years that something has tested my life

Lilley Pad

Aug 21, 2023
I’ve watched the advert and believe it is too hard hitting and will cause considerable distress to those who are suffering and are still able to process the information. I raised my concerns with the ASA about an earlier advert (about a fairytale cartoon wedding where the prince ended up being portrayed as a tormented character) and their response was that the priority was to raise awareness and raise funds. I totally understand that but Macmillan for example is able to get its point across in a more subtle way. I certainly will be shielding my husband from the advert and as a carer feel that I don’t need reminding of how difficult life can be and what lies ahead. Maybe the adverts could carry some warning at the start?

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
i have alzheimers we all know where the road leads this is for the millions of others who turn a blind eye to life issues that we all signed onto when we were born . oh it won't be me. well it is me. this is my reality and I'm going to give it hell until i don't know it anymore. it sure isn't the first time in my 70 years that something has tested my life
Hello @Watson1 thank you for sharing this, your posts are always so positive and life affirming.

windyhill

Dec 9, 2023
The advert is hard hitting as it should be. In my experience most of the general public think that dementia is only something to do with memory loss, and that included me until my wife started suffering from it 3 years ago. The many negative downsides of dementia including total loss of cognitive abilities, mood swings, delusions, hallucinations, aggression, incontinence etc., etc. are mostly unknown except to carers and close family. There is nothing wrong with educating the general public as to what actually happens with any particular disease. Burying your head in the sand never solved any problem.

Watson1

Sep 4, 2023
windyhill well said nice to have someone on the same page. hope you are getting the support you need!!!!!!

luggy

Jan 25, 2023
I've just watched the advert. It is a hard watch, but I think it needs to be. There are many health conditions depicted in adverts and campaigns on TV which are just as hard hitting, if not more so. In my circle of friends and acquaintances, I am the only one who has a close relative with dementia. Without exception, they have looked at me askance when I have described to them the symptoms of my mother's advanced dementia. It's probably one of the reasons why I joined this Forum - because I didn't know anybody who could relate to what our family is going through.

In order to win the battle, it helps to know your adversary and this can only be achieved by educating the wider population with the truth.

GillWife

Mar 28, 2024
I have got around to registering… prompted into action by being unhappy with the latest TV campaign. I fear this could be unnecessarily frightening to people living with dementia, and carers at the start of their journey. The message is undoubtedly true..( my husband was diagnosed with Alzheimers four years ago) but I feel the overwhelming negativity would frighten people off rather than prompt a wish for greater understanding…🤷‍♀️

Starfish21

Oct 6, 2023
This advert is a disgrace! Absolutely horrific for somebody with dementia to see. I hope it gets removed. I just hope my mum doesn't see it as she is struggling as it is, wanting to commit suicide and not be here anymore. Seriously! I dont know who came up with it?

There is a petition on google if you search, to have it removed.

I will not donate another penny to Alzeimers UK while this advert is live.

SimonC

Mar 28, 2024
Nottingham
I have got around to registering… prompted into action by being unhappy with the latest TV campaign. I fear this could be unnecessarily frightening to people living with dementia, and carers at the start of their journey. The message is undoubtedly true..( my husband was diagnosed with Alzheimers four years ago) but I feel the overwhelming negativity would frighten people off rather than prompt a wish for greater understanding…🤷‍♀️
I have just registered too, prompted by the upset the advert has caused my wife, who has Alzheimers, and still enjoys a bit of telly after lunch.
Seems the Alzheimers Society has decided that the cash, attention and even notoriety they will generate from their “hard hitting” ad outweighs the damage to those PWD “hit hard” by their advert.
Not sure how you are meant to avoid the advert other than by banning my wife from watching any commercial tv channels or streaming services. Perhaps an expert can enlighten me……

evenchris

May 7, 2020
West Midlands
I'd recommend not watching it, hard hitting maybe to outsiders but not one for carers, sorry. K
I’m very conscious of hearing or watching the advert when I’m with my wife. I know she doesn’t understand but I dod and it does make me very sad. I protect her from adverts but it’s also very important to protect myself.

Juniper

Aug 15, 2010
Leicestershire
This is very difficult to watch with my husband who has Alzheimer’s. He finds it very scary and upsetting to be told he is going to die time and time again!

Fugs

Feb 16, 2023
I’m curious …..so I have posted the advert on my FB and see what it comes back with from my FB friends.

I have added a dementia trigger warning which I think the advert does need
@sdmhred what kind of response have you had from the FB post?

ged626red

Jun 10, 2022
Chadderton near Oldham
I am caring for my wife - this is very hard hitting and I am aware there has been strong criticism of this by the society - the only issue I really have is it may have been better if there was consultation with other institutions of note in terms of this dreadful disease eg Great Minds/AZ research/Tide/Deep etc etc just so everyone is singing from the same hymn sheet. I agree totally that the public need to be aware and advertisement is essential it just seems that we should all be joined together in one consensus rather than what we have now.

Status
Not open for further replies.