The Long Goodbye: our new advertising campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Violet Jane

Aug 23, 2021
I think that this is all tremendously difficult. It's instructive to look at what the cancer charities do in their adverts. They have the stark message that one in three of us will get cancer and refer to loved ones who have died but they are able to offer messages of hope along the lines of (1) we're making breakthroughs in research and treatment, (2) more people are recovering from cancer and (3) there's support for you while you're having treatment.

Contrast this with dementia: (1) there's been very little progress in research terms, (2) there's no hope of recovery from dementia and (3) support is very limited and the costs of paid care (usually necessary) are potentially ruinous.

You can have a upbeat advert showing a happy PWD and a smiling carer having a cup of tea with a friendly-looking nurse but will it raise awareness and funds? Probably not, if dementia is portrayed as a relatively benign illness.

A depressing advert showing the unvarnished truth about dementia, particularly the more challenging aspects, might bring home the message that dementia is more than old people being delightfully 'dotty' but, of course, this type of advert can be upsetting to people with dementia who have some awareness of their condition and their carers.

Another thing that I think is very different with dementia as opposed to other conditions is the strain that it puts on the carers. It's rather harder to advocate for carers in fundraising adverts but most of us would say that carers need much, much more practical, emotional and financial support. The caring role can go on for a decade.

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Another thing that I think is very different with dementia as opposed to other conditions is the strain that it puts on the carers. It's rather harder to advocate for carers in fundraising adverts but most of us would say that carers need much, much more practical, emotional and financial support. The caring role can go on for a decade.
Yes an advert showing someone and their carer being given their diagnosis by a friendly smiley psychiatrist and then shown the door in to a complete void would be more like it. All the carers I have spoken with over the years have been so shocked at the complete lack of support, advice and information they get at the point of diagnosis. Anything in a campaign that gives people a starting point would be something , maybe some of the bigger charities need to get together and create an ad that speaks this truth for the people with the condition and their families.

Angelsoul

May 22, 2023
I agree with everything she said regarding Dementia.
All adverts are welcomed in my opinion as its brings awareness.
Sharing what we witness along the journey
I know would be hard hitting and distressing for many, but it really needs to highlight the actual reality.
Dementia is so so awful...the emotional, physical, mentally, draining....gut wrenchingly feeling is very real and constantly present. To watch my amazing mother change is so distressing to watch.

Neveradullday!

Oct 12, 2022
England
Another , longer, AS advert for comparison
That is an effective one. I wonder if that one could be brought back, it would be new to many. Another thought - I wonder if the TV companies charge the Alzheimer's Society to show these. It would be ideal if they didn't charge them.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Thank you all for your feedback so far. We really appreciate hearing your thoughts and will be passing these along to the team behind the advert.

Just so you know, we will be closing this thread on April 5th so we can get a clear snapshot of everyone's feedback. Please keep comments relevant to the advert if you can. While we know how important it is to have a space to talk or vent about these things, your feedback about the advert specifically (whether positive or negative) will help to inform future campaigns.
Can I ask? Reading the quote from the CEO is suggestive that the advert is about raising awareness rather than fundraising? Is that correct? If so I will think about it from a different perspective.

Thanks.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Can I ask? Reading the quote from the CEO is suggestive that the advert is about raising awareness rather than fundraising? Is that correct? If so I will think about it from a different perspective.
There is not an option to donate.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
I have to say... It doesn't resonate with me at all. I don't think those with the disease feel this way at all (mostly they don't realize the declines) and as carers it may be a 'long goodbye' but this doesn't even touch on the heart-wrenching ups and downs we go through hour to hour, day to day, week to week, month to month and year to year.

I think a more effective approach may be to show those moments when carers struggle one-on-one with exhausting hallucinations, delusions, cleaning, eating and other basic tasks, just to help their loved ones present in public as 'functioning normally' interspersed with the very true flickering moments of trust, love & gratitude that also come along the way.
Something that emphasizes not their death, but the very real, long struggle to remain in the same worlds as each other, and the time, money & energy it takes to just keep going, and see that smile once more, knowing that in our hearts we are doing all we can to make them feel safe & loved until their last breath.
I agree but they never will as in my opinion the adverts are to raise money not to really educate and inform

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
If you have the courage of your convictions then maybe the AZ society, dementia forum could put it to a vote on here topic.
Thumbs up, thumbs down or wavering hand gesture.
Violet Jane said it all for my and thank you.
Put it to the public vote, if you're confident the adverting agency that made the as got it right.
See what we think as carers, family and all others who are doing it every day, 24/7 not a walk in the park.
I hate to post negatively but the ads are not for me as a now former carer, mum and wife. K

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
there has been a big piece in my paper today and the friendly football match between england and belgium were highlighting memory. the team didnt have their names on their shirts.
can we please have other dementias mentioned as well as alzheimers please. until other dementias are highlighted as well in the campaign, no one is going to know about them or the different symptoms that they can show. memory is one sign but there are other signs as well but it is assumed its memory and alzheimers

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
there has been a big piece in my paper today and the friendly football match between england and belgium were highlighting memory. the team didnt have their names on their shirts.
can we please have other dementias mentioned as well as alzheimers please. until other dementias are highlighted as well in the campaign, no one is going to know about them or the different symptoms that they can show. memory is one sign but there are other signs as well but it is assumed its memory and alzheimers
My Mum was diagnosed with a non specific dementia. I'm afraid I got very irate with people who said she had Alzheimer's, but of course it's a lack of understanding of what dementia, or rather dementias actually are. By the same token, reports of new treatments for dementia usually mean treatments for Alzheimer's. It's like saying you've got a wonderful new cancer cure... oh, except actually it's only a cure for kidney cancer. Fantastic news if you have kidney cancer, not so great if you have another type.

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
I like the advert that was done some years ago - might have been 2017 - it was called "Dementia care needs fixing and it needs fixing now"
Amongst other things, it highlights that care for dementia is the only care where a patient is means tested (which, of course, doesn't happen for say going in to hospital for lung disease) and it is unfair.
Worth repeating, in my view.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I like the advert that was done some years ago - might have been 2017 - it was called "Dementia care needs fixing and it needs fixing now"

<incorrect in that it infers that if you go into hospital because of dementia you have a financial assessment>

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.