The Long Goodbye: our new advertising campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Is there an elephant in the room here? Perhaps the word 'dementia' is the problem.

If anyone asks what happened to my mum I say she lost her mind. Because it's true. I get shocked/alarmed reactions until I explain, then people say, 'I never knew that's what dementia was like.'

Sorry for any offence.

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Is there an elephant in the room here? Perhaps the word 'dementia' is the problem.

If anyone asks what happened to my mum I say she lost her mind. Because it's true. I get shocked/alarmed reactions until I explain, then people say, 'I never knew that's what dementia was like.'

Sorry for any offence.
Thank you Jaded. I always appreciate your posts. And the term dementia means without a mind.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Thank you Jaded. I always appreciate your posts. And the term dementia means without a mind.
Nah, it just means a sweet little old Nanna who has lost her glasses.

Your definition is correct but we say 'Nanna has dementia,' not 'Nanna is demented.'

Yes, it's an offensive word but it more accurately describes what happened to my mum.

The stats show clearly that more people are getting dementia and as time goes on there are (far) more of us in the 'at risk' age group. We all need to face the truth about what it really is.

When will they stop all the pretence and euphemisms about this disease?

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Yes it was, having to move from a four million home to a one million home.
And ...? Pauper or king if you have paid to our system and are sick then you should be entitled to the same basic free care. Let's be honest,the king will have paid more than the pauper.
If you want ,or can afford better then you top up or buy a health care policy,
Surely it's not fair that that when illness strikes you have to sell your home to pay for .

Fugs

Feb 16, 2023
This is an article about the cost of the late Derek Draper's care. He didn't have dementia, but mentions how difficult it is to get NHS funded care, so it may be interesting to some here.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-68656222
Perhaps someone from the Alzheimer's Society should approach her and propose a documentary on this topic, with a Dementia bent? She does mention that she doesn't know how people less well off than her cope with these costs. I am sure that people from this forum can provide her with a large number of case studies.

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
And ...? Pauper or king if you have paid to our system and are sick then you should be entitled to the same basic free care. Let's be honest,the king will have paid more than the pauper.
If you want ,or can afford better then you top up or buy a health care policy,
Surely it's not fair that that when illness strikes you have to sell your home to pay for .
I was simply saying what has been reported..
It wasn’t a comment onto fairness or entitlement

Dave63

Apr 13, 2022
This is an article about the cost of the late Derek Draper's care. He didn't have dementia, but mentions how difficult it is to get NHS funded care, so it may be interesting to some here.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-68656222
There's a lot within that article which will resonate with a lot of carers, irrespective of whether they're funded or not. One of the points which really resonated with me was:

"Why is it that people who get sick and it's no longer considered the right thing for them to be in hospital... why does coming home feel like falling off a cliff?"

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
Unfortunately, the sad truth is that UK can no longer afford to give free care at the point of need to all.

Firstly, those not entitled, should pay - eg foreign "health" tourists - which would help. It's v easy to set up; not embarrassing, not offensive - the patient either has a UK passport + Nat Ins no., or they do not.

It's not hard to organise. My experience when my OH had an epileptic seizure (two days after being at high altitude) when we were in Ecuador - my wife and I were taken by blue light ambulance to a not far away modern hospital. My wife was taken straight in to be examined by an urgent care dept med team, and at the same time I was taken straight to the main reception desk. I had to give our details etc for registration, and as I nor my wife are Ecuadorian nationals, I had to give my credit card impression. Thus after the tests etc, when my wife was declared OK and medically fit to be discharged, I was handed the receipted invoice taken from my credit card. It was all v simple and efficient. Why can't we do this in UK? I wasn't offended, nor did I feel "excluded".

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Unfortunately, the sad truth is that UK can no longer afford to give free care at the point of need to all.

Firstly, those not entitled, should pay - eg foreign "health" tourists - which would help. It's v easy to set up; not embarrassing, not offensive - the patient either has a UK passport + Nat Ins no., or they do not.

It's not hard to organise. My experience when my OH had an epileptic seizure (two days after being at high altitude) when we were in Ecuador - my wife and I were taken by blue light ambulance to a not far away modern hospital. My wife was taken straight in to be examined by an urgent care dept med team, and at the same time I was taken straight to the main reception desk. I had to give our details etc for registration, and as I nor my wife are Ecuadorian nationals, I had to give my credit card impression. Thus after the tests etc, when my wife was declared OK and medically fit to be discharged, I was handed the receipted invoice taken from my credit card. It was all v simple and efficient. Why can't we do this in UK? I wasn't offended, nor did I feel "excluded".
Same when we were in France. We paid . I think we could have claimed it back as it was tests for warfarin dose but the sum was less than £10 so didn't bother. Cost more to process 🙂

Lostinthisdesert

Apr 21, 2023
Last edited by a moderator:

Pebblepebble

May 29, 2022
i dont know if my husband has seen it but he came out with am i terminal today. not had that before so maybe. i just said that he wont get any better but terminal is harsh word and he has a life to live. shocked me so maybe he has seen it.
My mum has finally had a scan and an appointment to see someone in June. I really don't like this advert, she has picked up on it and it is really worrying her. I don't know if she will actually attend her appointment as she doesn't want to know - that advert really hasn't helped one little bit.

Alzheimer's Society

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 6, 2009
www.alzheimers.org.uk
Thank you all for your feedback so far. We really appreciate hearing your thoughts and will be passing these along to the team behind the advert.

Just so you know, we will be closing this thread on April 5th so we can get a clear snapshot of everyone's feedback. Please keep comments relevant to the advert if you can. While we know how important it is to have a space to talk or vent about these things, your feedback about the advert specifically (whether positive or negative) will help to inform future campaigns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jayne Oswald