Status
Not open for further replies.

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
Hi everyone,

Alzheimer's Society will be launching a powerful new advertising campaign on Friday 22nd March aimed at raising awareness of both dementia and Alzheimer’s Society amongst the general public.

There will be an exclusive first look at the advert tomorrow morning, during Good Morning Britain.

One in three of us born in the UK today will develop dementia in our lifetime. It’s the biggest health and social care challenge we face, but we know awareness of and concern about dementia amongst the general public are low.

Research shows that:
  • 22% believe that dementia is likely to affect them or a loved one
  • 20% of people are confident that they understand what dementia is
  • Only 37% believe that urgent action is needed to support people with dementia.
These stats mean that it’s not the priority it deserves or needs to be, which is why it’s so important we run these emotive campaigns that also highlight the help and hope we provide.

This advertising campaign will be aimed at the wider general public who might not know much, if anything, about dementia. It reflects the devastating reality of dementia that we hear about so often at Alzheimer’s Society and on this community. We know that one advert can't represent every single carer's reality, but we hope that you can see your experience reflected somewhere. Really importantly, we hope it also shows how we are there for you again and again and again.

The advert will also run on TV (on ITV, Channel 4 and Sky), radio (including Smooth, Boom Radio and Greatest Hits), cinema (in chains including Odeon, Cineworld, Picturehouse and Empire), podcasts and paid social media, as well as on our Alzheimer’s Society website and social media channels.

Content warning: if you're going through a difficult time at the moment, this film is hard-hitting and it may not be the right time for you to watch it. If this is the case for you, please feel free not to check back.

If you'd like to watch the film, we'll be sharing this as soon as possible once it's live, and we'll then open this thread for you to share your thoughts and opinions.

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
Just to reiterate our content warning: this advert is very emotive and hard-hitting. If you are going through a difficult time at the moment, now may not be the right time for you to watch it. Here at Dementia Support Forum, we want you to prioritise your mental health & wellbeing. If you think this video might be a hard watch, please feel free to close the page.

If you are watching, the forum is here 24/7 to offer support and understanding. You might like to post in this thread about your thoughts and feelings.

If you'd like to speak to someone, please consider giving our Dementia Support Line a call. The line is open 9am - 8pm Monday to Wednesday, 9am - 5pm on Thursday and Friday, 10am - 4pm on Saturday and Sunday. The number is 0333 150 3456 (this is a national rate number and should be part of an inclusive national rate minutes allowance on landline or mobile contracts).

If you'd like to watch the advert, please scroll down.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I'd recommend not watching it, hard hitting maybe to outsiders but not one for carers, sorry. K

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It`s nothing carers do not realise even if they push it to the back of their minds and try to live from day to day as I think I did.

Subconsciously , I think carers understand the situation, even while they are struggling to get a diagnosis

It will be a difficult watch for people with dementia.

I hope this piece heightens awareness in the general public, government and health officials. I don’t think they want to know or believe it could happen to them.

It was needed.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Well I think it sucks, just my opinion and I don't want to post negatively but it sucks big time, I hope you didn't pay some advertising agency mega bucks to come up with this stuff (shall we say).
I will stop contributing if you're giving my money to some some adverting t company to come up with this well say pathos ridden *****.
K

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Yes, pathos. What about
Anger
Aggression
Incontinence
Destruction
Abuse
Wandering
Hell carers suffer

backin

Feb 6, 2024
Perhaps it's about time that people were told dementia kills.
As our nursing skills get better, more and more seem to be reaching end stages.

People donate to things they fear.

And as said, the first time of incontinence, the first time they can't move....
It's still very glib

Some cancer adverts are hard hitting.

MowgliGirl02

Feb 20, 2022
That was powerful to be sure, and so very true and real for me. As I lost my mother to dementia on the 10th March 2024. I don’t think I can keep watching it just yet, it’s all a bit to real and raw at the moment.
When mum was diagnosed I had no idea what to expect, and I had no idea how much it would hurt her, and me. People don’t understand dementia until they are diagnosed with it, or see a loved one with it.
More information is needed to everyone I believe. So no one goes into a dementia diagnosis blind.

Last edited:

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Thought this was a powerful message to people who are not directly involved with dementia. Agree that if you have dementia or are caring for someone with dementia you might want to give it a miss.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I hope this piece heightens awareness in the general public, government and health officials. I don’t think they want to know or believe it could happen to them.

It was needed.
Also agree.

How many of the public only experiencing hostess mode will think the advert is atypical?

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
I have no objection to it but, as a long term carer, personally don't think that it is telling me anything new or (for me) is particularly hard-hitting. My perspective is that it is not my wife who 'dies' over and over but a part of me, each time another bit of our life together has unravelled. But that is something that I have come to expect and accept. It may be hard-hitting for those with less direct exposure or who are only finding out the devastation that dementia causes.

Angelsoul

May 22, 2023
It's sad to watch particularly if you are not experiencing the actual reality of what we have to. Chip chip chipping away each day almost.....the changes are so painful for me to see. Having a hard time at the moment. X

Scarlet Lady

Apr 6, 2021
I agree, @northumbrian_k . But I’m wondering just what it is that @Kevinl dislikes so much? Most of these “adverts” don’t always hit the mark as they should, but this one seemed fairly mild (although accurate) in its content. I understand that people are upset by different things.

Angelsoul

May 22, 2023
Yes, indeed mild.
your loved one gets diagnosed then you are simply left alone....any concerns you have you need to get in touch with GP.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
i dont know if my husband has seen it but he came out with am i terminal today. not had that before so maybe. i just said that he wont get any better but terminal is harsh word and he has a life to live. shocked me so maybe he has seen it.

Status
Not open for further replies.