The continuing healthcare con

Flooz

Sep 8, 2009
UK
Just wanted to remind those that are supporting this e-petition, of my gratitude.

Thank you!!

Flooz

Sep 8, 2009
UK
Thanks Steviep.

Mum was supposed to have a new assessment tomorrow, 4 months after I requested it. Guess what? They phoned today and cancelled! Grrrr

Kate01

Jul 9, 2012
Healthcare

I've signed your petition.
One thing i realised speaking to people from my local Alz cafe was that our council would take half of say my husband pension towards the care home if he needs one. As his & usually a man's pension is higher than a women's I would be worse off trying to manage the home on my own with only half his pension. Where as a male carer would still have his full pension & good luck to him but, I'm not retirement age yet but will soon have to give up work to look after him, then I guess go back to work to pay top up care home fees, and work on, to pay the bills on our home, that's if I can get work at 60 something!

steviep

Dec 11, 2012
Lancashire
Thanks Steviep.

Mum was supposed to have a new assessment tomorrow, 4 months after I requested it. Guess what? They phoned today and cancelled! Grrrr

Typical. I think my mum needs another, she's getting really bad. She only had her last one when she was in hospital at the beginning of December. If I arrange it now she might get one by Easter!

Flooz

Sep 8, 2009
UK
Assuming all PCT's are as difficult as mine, make sure you mention the words 'care needs have changed' (I didn't, just said she had deteriorated, and now they're saying they won't backdate any award to the date of my request because of that), but also, they won't reassess on your say-so (again, despite telling me I could request a new assessment at any time), they need 'evidence' of a change in needs.

steviep

Dec 11, 2012
Lancashire
Thanks Flooz I'll bear that in mind. I'm new to this, do I organise a reassessment through the doctor?

Is it any wonder they get so much flak? Always back-peddling and so much prevarication, I'm sure it costs them more in the end.

I'm at the point of not being able to cope for much longer, I'll be a jibbering wreck if they don't reassess her soon.

Flooz

Sep 8, 2009
UK
I had to request directly to the PCT, but mum was already in a home. If you have social services involved, I think they would be a good starting point.

Good luck!

benjie

Apr 14, 2009
north staffs
Chc

Have clicked and signed too.

Am in the process of applying for CHC again, and I think this time I will try to fight it more. Hubby not only has vasdem but ahd bowel cancer, underwent op, followed by chemo, had pulmonary embolism, had meleana and hospitalised for 5 mths to find cause and was tested for all infections. Now in wheelchair unable to walk. Complex care needs but still may not reach criteria.

This act - 1946? is surely outdated by now.

benjie

Apr 14, 2009
north staffs
PS Unfortunately our CHC assessment is being delayed because the DISTRICT NURSE hasn't bothered to fill in her part (not that she knows much about OH). She was asked to do this at the end of November

Flooz

Sep 8, 2009
UK
Hi Benjie. Sorry to hear that you too are having to jump through hoops, it certainly sounds like your husband is entitled to CHC, but remember, it's the same as DLA/AA, it's not paid on 'diagnosis' of any condition, but on the needs that follow on from that, which will vary from one person to another.

The Act still very much stands. There have been amendments etc, but the basis of the Act still stands.

You will find delays inevitable; I'm been told by a friend of a friend, they are supposed to use every excuse they can to delay things (which is pointless, as an award can be backdated.

My mum was due for her 2nd assessment last week, some 5 months after requesting it. Guess what? They cancelled it 24 hours before, due to 'staff sickness'. I'm still waiting to hear the new date!

benjie

Apr 14, 2009
north staffs
jumping through hoops

Hi Flooz, thanks for that - this time I'll just ask them "How many?" and keep jumping till I get somewhere.:cool:

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
How sad that the petition only has 270 signatories. Maybe a change of title may help to encourage more people to look at it. Only a thought.

CK-GL

Feb 14, 2013
I've signed your e-petition

My mother has just been turned down for CHC and I really can't understand how someone who has deteriorated so much she a silent body in a wheelchair is not eligible for CHC.
I'm worn out by fighting to get the assessment done and getting it to the PCT panel for a decision.
I've just added my name to your petition.

CK

Eunoia

Feb 15, 2013
Bournemouth
Petition

hi
I have signed your petition and agree 100%
I am entering the process and about to complain about how my mother is being treated.............I am NOT going to give in and give up and will take it as far as it needs to go....
:)

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I had a notification that there was a new reply to this thread. I followed the link and found no reply. I then managed somehow briefly to bring up a long and interesting post that I'd read last night. But the response that I'd been told about has not appeared at all.

Very odd things do happen here.:)

Can someone explain what's going on?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cahuskies