Support for carers

Scott1970

Feb 29, 2024
Hi
My mum has recently been diagnosed with Alzheimers even though we have known for 18 months since she had a stroke that she may have Alzheimers or Dementia this has come as a slight shock. Most of the time I'm really patient and I think I have been dealing with the situation well but there are moments where I feel I cannot cope and can't see the wood for the trees. I get impatient and everything gets on top of me. I have arrange for carers to come three times a day to ensure that mum is eating as she was forgetting to do this. I see mum at least 3 times a week (I work full time).
I'm not sure if there are any support groups for carers that I could go to to unload/ask for advice or should I pay for therapy as I need to be as string as I can for mum but at times, I do not feel that I can be. I live in London, NW6. Any advice would be really appreciated.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
admiral nurses are for the carers. have you got a carers group in your area? on the site, there is a link to support in your area which you just put your postcode in and it brings up all support in your area. im sure someone will come along and give you a link to it. im not good at links

SherwoodSue

Jun 18, 2022
You can find a list of registered counsellors on line. If you have the funds I would do it.
I found it’s getting your head around the anticipatory grief as the person you know as mum alters bit by bit.
Carers groups can give good information about attendance allowance, power of attorney, council tax disregard etc but the emotional support early days I found helpful

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JFrazer