Looking for advice on home carers and how best to use them

Emski

Feb 29, 2024
My mum is in middle stage dementia, and relies very heavily on me and my brother for all her daily tasks, food prep, laundry, shopping, bills etc.

My brother lives with mum 3-4 days a week and WFH from there. I live much closer so can visit daily when he isn't there. She now needs one of us every day for something, and we've agreed that its more than we can handle between us, and still manage our own lives. Mum is self finding for this so we have been able to go ahead and get something organised.

We've just started with a carers for an hour twice a week, in the evening to prepare the evening meal, clear up, and give mum a little bit of company, maybe take her for a short walk. The idea is that we start light, and then expand into more days / tasks as mum declines, and unfortunatley we fear we aren't that far from needing personal care, so we want mum used to people helping her before they really do need to get personal with her.

Mum is pretty resistant to the whole idea, she's polite to the carers when they are there, but is clear she doesnt want "people poking about in her house" and "she can manage without them"

My question is really about how we can make mum see how the carers can help her, and win her over a bit.
The meal prep we have asked so far is simple so the carers can talk with mum and get to know her, but I'm wondering if there are other helpful tasks we could get them doing so that mum sees them as a benefit not an intrusion.

We dont really want them doing much cleaning as we also have a cleaner who comes in, and they arent there long enough to help with laundry, so any tips on other home help tasks that could help win mum over, and get her used to other people than me and my brother supporting her ?

Toopie28

Jun 7, 2022
Ma is fiercely independent and it was an argument every day as to how she could take care of herself and doesn't need anyone. This did not go away.
I then told her it was for me since I didn't have time to clean the house or cook and these "friends from work" offered to help. She still didn't like it but it had to be done.
I then arranged this lady to take her to church and some appointments - she fought me every step of the way. I told her that this lady was going "in that direction" and wanted to drop her off and might as well stay with her as she had an appointment too.
My point - for my Ma it was and is a non-stop negotiation. But Ma has always been kind. She's changed in a lot of ways, but that kindness for others - always there.
So I started saying - well you are helping THEM - they have it tough, blah, blah.

So I lied - about everything. Soft love I think they call it?
Does she like walks? Then the carers can say they are there to walk with her to get away from the chaos of their family/friends/situation.
Make her feel like she's helping them.
Garden - oh can you show me how to...
Games or fav programmes - Oh I love this, is it ok to watch as I can't at home since (insert story here)

I hope this helps. Basically you make up whichever story you think your Mum will accept and when she doesn't - it won't be forever but you are placating for now. And the carers should be used to this too.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
Hi @Emski welcome to the forum and others will be along soon . However my mother in law had carers, she was self-funding and she managed for about 3 years before going into care. She had a breakfast visit, a lunchtime visit and a late afternoon call. I'm afraid that if you wait for a person with dementia to agree with you or see your point of view you will wait forever. She was resistant to carers, but we just ignored her and eventually she became upset when they arrived sometimes late.

In her care plan the carers were told to heat up a microwave meal and make sure they chatted to her whilst she ate, making it a social event . They also changed her sheets every week and I did her laundry for her . She refused personal care , which is very common, as she could wash herself of sorts, but her hair wasn't washed for 3 years. This was only resolved when she went into a care home . The carers also did light dusting, emptied the rubbish and food waste and brought in the milk delivery. They also prompted medication and made sure there was a bottle of water in the fridge available. I'm sure others will have more ideas

Emski

Feb 29, 2024
Ma is fiercely independent and it was an argument every day as to how she could take care of herself and doesn't need anyone. This did not go away.
I then told her it was for me since I didn't have time to clean the house or cook and these "friends from work" offered to help. She still didn't like it but it had to be done.
I then arranged this lady to take her to church and some appointments - she fought me every step of the way. I told her that this lady was going "in that direction" and wanted to drop her off and might as well stay with her as she had an appointment too.
My point - for my Ma it was and is a non-stop negotiation. But Ma has always been kind. She's changed in a lot of ways, but that kindness for others - always there.
So I started saying - well you are helping THEM - they have it tough, blah, blah.

So I lied - about everything. Soft love I think they call it?
Does she like walks? Then the carers can say they are there to walk with her to get away from the chaos of their family/friends/situation.
Make her feel like she's helping them.
Garden - oh can you show me how to...
Games or fav programmes - Oh I love this, is it ok to watch as I can't at home since (insert story here)

I hope this helps. Basically you make up whichever story you think your Mum will accept and when she doesn't - it won't be forever but you are placating for now. And the carers should be used to this too.
thank you some great tips on ways to "sell" the help

Emski

Feb 29, 2024
Hi @Emski welcome to the forum and others will be along soon . However my mother in law had carers, she was self-funding and she managed for about 3 years before going into care. She had a breakfast visit, a lunchtime visit and a late afternoon call. I'm afraid that if you wait for a person with dementia to agree with you or see your point of view you will wait forever. She was resistant to carers, but we just ignored her and eventually she became upset when they arrived sometimes late.

In her care plan the carers were told to heat up a microwave meal and make sure they chatted to her whilst she ate, making it a social event . They also changed her sheets every week and I did her laundry for her . She refused personal care , which is very common, as she could wash herself of sorts, but her hair wasn't washed for 3 years. This was only resolved when she went into a care home . The carers also did light dusting, emptied the rubbish and food waste and brought in the milk delivery. They also prompted medication and made sure there was a bottle of water in the fridge available. I'm sure others will have more ideas
Thank you, some good tips :)