Sundowning

1stsparkle

Jun 11, 2014
My mum, who lives in South Africa, was diagnosed about 4 years ago at the age of 75. My dad who is also 79 years old is her main carer with the help of my sister who lives in the house next door to my parents.

My mum will not engage in any activities. My sister tries to involve her in helping in the kitchen, folding washing etc but anything else my mum cannot hold the concentration even looking at photos.

Medically my mum is well. However, she had an accidental fall about 2 years ago and despite her xrays, CT scans and MRI scans showing no fractures, other than osteoarthritis, this accident has had a huge impact on her daily activities.
She spends most of the day in bed complaining of back pain despite pain relief been given to her and as above there is nothing on the scans to indicate that there is a problem.

This has had a huge impact on her activity and that of my dad as my mother will not leave the house as she says her back hurts. No amount of persuasion helps and it only distresses her.

She is prone to 'sundowning' between the hours of 4-7pm. My mum sleeps very well at night. Minimal sleep during the day. My sister is trying to reduce any stimulation during those hours.

Any recommendations on how to manage the sundowning? Would an artifical light to mimic daylight hours in the bedroom help? Any suggestions on how to manage the paranoia?

Kind regards

BR_ANA

Jun 27, 2012
Brazil
Hi and welcome.

Sorry no idea about sundowning (I just walked with mom on streets).

Bumping your post maybe someone has any idea

JayGun

Jun 24, 2013
We can't get my MIL to do anything - so you're not alone.

MIL has a range of stock phrases she uses, "I'm just not myself today" "I don't feel well enough." "I'll go next time." "I'll do it later/tomorrow." "I've already done it." "It doesn't need doing." "I've worn myself out creosoting the fence" (that fence must be like The Forth Bridge, the number of days she's been working on it! ;) ) And if they fail she'll just rage at you.

Is there anything that happens just before sundowning starts that might be linked? My MIL tends to sundown much worse when she's tired out. If she has been having a little nap or a sit down and a cup of tea and a sandwich right before the danger zone she's not so bad.

Another thing to think about is what happens after 7pm when sun downing ends and is anything that happens then linked? MIL perks up when her programmes come on. :)

Last edited:

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloJb