Sudden change in eating habits

Emilypen

Jul 14, 2019
My husband is 80 and has LBD. He is a big man and always has had a big appetite. We have recently moved to a new bungalow, in a new area, to be near family. Bryan has adjusted amazingly well and has orientated himself brilliantly. However, 2 weeks before the move and since the move, he has become difficult to feed. Favourite meals are just dumped in the bin. He says they don't taste right. He often eats cake or sweet stuff instead. Although, sometimes, he dumps them, too. He was the same at his day centre. It's a real worry, and not like him at all. He's a strapping and fit man, so should I try and give him nutritional drinks, or just let him eat what he wants, even if sometimes it's very little?

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
This is not unusual, some people with dementia seem to develop a taste for sweet foods. All you can do is to try to get your husband to eat normally but if he refuses there is not much you can do. If he starts to lose weight please get into contact with his GP.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
With dementia taste senses are gradually lost, the last to go is sweetness.

Try adding spices, ground pepper, ginger etc as appropriate even if he didn't normally like them, spicy is not a taste.

Having said that, my wife when given mashed potato with ground pepper could pouch the potato and chew on the pepper!

Emilypen

Jul 14, 2019
This is not unusual, some people with dementia seem to develop a taste for sweet foods. All you can do is to try to get your husband to eat normally but if he refuses there is not much you can do. If he starts to lose weight please get into contact with his GP.
Thank you, SeaSwallow. I'll make sure I keep an eye on his weight.

Emilypen

Jul 14, 2019
With dementia taste senses are gradually lost, the last to go is sweetness.

Try adding spices, ground pepper, ginger etc as appropriate even if he didn't normally like them, spicy is not a taste.

Having said that, my wife when given mashed potato with ground pepper could pouch the potato and chew on the pepper!
Thank you, nitram. I'll try that.

Tonyjoe

May 31, 2022
When my wife went through this it was suggested I keep small snack type foods available for her which she could eat all day. Dinners and lunches just ended up in the bin, and my wife went through phases where she would only eat savouries, or only sweets or cakes. She lost a lot of weight, and our GP sent around a nutritionist who understood about appetite changes and dementia

Emilypen

Jul 14, 2019
When my wife went through this it was suggested I keep small snack type foods available for her which she could eat all day. Dinners and lunches just ended up in the bin, and my wife went through phases where she would only eat savouries, or only sweets or cakes. She lost a lot of weight, and our GP sent around a nutritionist who understood about appetite changes and dementia
Thank you, Tonyjoe. This was something I considered myself. I will give it a try. That's all you can do, isn't it?!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aliableu