Struggle to find meaningful activities

robinbird96

Jun 28, 2021
Hi,

My mum has young onset dementia (age 59) so is still fit and well in lots of ways, but her mental capacity is very heavily limited by her dementia. She can't plan activities for herself anymore, even something as simple as getting a colouring book out. More complex activities like gardening, crocheting and other crafts, even going on the iPad to watch Netflix, are out of the question for mum to manage on her own so she either needs someone with her to control the TV or do the gardening for her while she rakes leaves, for example. This means mum spends a lot of time sitting and staring at the TV (she can't change the channel) or out of the window. It is really heartbreaking to see.

I have been trying to engage her in meaningful activities, like going for walks or doing a craft together but I work full time and as much as I want to, I can't shadow her every second of the day. Is there anything out there that I could pop in front of her for her to get on with on her own accord? It would have to be quite simple.

This post was prompted by trying to get her engaged with a simple koi pond game on the iPad while I worked, which resulted in her storming off upstairs.

Violet Jane

Aug 23, 2021
It’s very difficult when a PWD gets to that stage as s/he needs support with activities. Really, s/he needs someone with him/her all the time to direct, show and encourage him/her. That’s why people with dementia watch a lot of television.

Perhaps you could investigate day care, dementia groups or a befriender.

Serenade

Mar 10, 2023
Children's jigsaws and colouring books have been a godsend for me
Also simple wordsearches with large print(brought a few from Amazon)