Meaningful Activities in a Care Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bettusboo

Aug 30, 2020
It depends on your mum, what she is able do to and what she enjoys. I’d suggest you come come up with a list based on your knowledge of your mum to incorporate into the care plan. I can see that folding linen could be meaningful for some people. I’m delighted when my dad is able to get up and vacuum, do some washing up and fold the towels. All ordinary things which get him up and moving and from which he gains a sense of purpose and satisfaction. It doesn’t happen often enough and I do find some care staff are happy for him to sit in front of TV programmes he isn’t following because it’s easier.

Angel55

Oct 23, 2023
They say she has 1 on 1 on a Sunday afternoon, but that could just be 10 minutes. the Care home has a mnibus ( 5 seater ) for a max of 60 residents. I live hundreds of miles away so I cant just call in. Shes on the upper 'secure floor' , she is entirely in the hands of the carers to take her in the lift to the ground floor and then through the lower floor residents corridors to the outside garden.
Hi

They must keep notes though ? I know where my D is they have phones to update their records. You have to ask though no-one gives you any information when you visit. Does it say anything in your mum's care plan?

My D just refuses to join in and prefers his TV programs. He was just the same at home in his own home to be fair. A friend takes him out. I too live a distance away so you can feel like you don't really know what is going on sometimes and it can be frustrating.

💗

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
I can only speak from the experience of my wife's care home, where she has been a resident since May 2019. Two factors are paramount in how the home provides what is needed by the individual resident. The first of these is promoting and maintaining independence so far as that is possible. The second is providing personalised care that adapts to the progression of dementia and is different for every resident. On admission my wife would wander the corridors, go in the garden or go out with staff, me or her sister. The activities co-ordinator took her to church, we went to a local cafe and she enjoyed an organised trip to a farm. She wasn't keen on all activities but liked games and quizzes. She enjoyed watching old black and white films and more recent animated movies.

Over time her ability to do things waned as did her interest and ability to concentrate. Shortly before the Covid pandemic the most she would do was a very short walk to the local shop. Even that became too much of a challenge. Now she doesn't have sufficient concentration to do any kind of organised activity. She still enjoys events such as the pantomime but can't always stay awake. The staff know her moods and recognise what is needed to keep her content and comfortable. She has lost most of her independence but staff do encourage her to do simple things.

My point is that a competent home gets to know what a resident needs. This could be activities tailored to the person's interests and changing abilities. It could also be not trying to engage the person in activities that are no longer suitable.

My wife's dementia is now well advanced. She seems content in her environment, is very well cared for, and staff seem to love her. Those things are more precious, in my view, than enumerating activities or trips out.

It is hard when someone goes into care and must be much more difficult if they are a great distance away @Rayreadynow. My care home experience has been largely positive. Perhaps if you take on board the good advice from our members you might see your mum's care home in a more positive light. If not, and you remain unsatisfied, then perhaps moving your mum somewhere else would be a better solution.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
When my mother in law went into a care home, fully self funding, it was very much focused on entertainment for residents. I was impressed on the variety available, although there didn't seem to be many outdoor trips. But my mother in law refused initially to leave her room and my husband was concerned about the lack of interaction with staff. As she had had private carers in her own home uptil that point, we continued to use the care agency to come to the care home and visit her twice a week as sitting companions. The care home were fully on board with this. Obviously she was paying for this as well as the care home fees. This continued for about 4 weeks while she settled in and then we ended the agency contract.

When we visited my mother in law would tell us how awful the place was, she was ignored it was a living hell. The home had a Facebook page and there she was on the uploaded photos smiling and taking part in the activities. After that we just ignored the complaints

Scarlet Lady

Apr 6, 2021
@Rayreadynow , you seem to have a great many pre-conceived ideas about the care of people with dementia. That‘s your prerogative, of course, but may not reflect the reality of the situation, or that of others. As an aside, I thought your last reply to @canary was very rude and completely undeserved.
You have suggested that your mother is self-funding. If that’s the case and you are unhappy with the level of care she’s receiving, why don’t you find somewhere for her that you consider more suitable?

Bettusboo

Aug 30, 2020
I saw her 8 weeks ago for 6 days. I know exactly what her possibilities are. Maybe you are in denial that keeping your OH at home may be the reason he has withdrawn. Do the right thing and put him in a Care Home.
@Rayreadynow , you seem to have a great many pre-conceived ideas about the care of people with dementia. That‘s your prerogative, of course, but may not reflect the reality of the situation, or that of others. As an aside, I thought your last reply to @canary was very rude and completely undeserved.
You have suggested that your mother is self-funding. If that’s the case and you are unhappy with the level of care she’s receiving, why don’t you find somewhere for her that you consider more suitable?
Agree, it was rude and completely unacceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.