Step child and decision making

Feb 22, 2024
Hi, I'm a stepchild of someone who has Alzheimer's. He has it over over five years. My mother, his wife died in June with Cancer, he was diagnosed when she was diagnosed with cancer. We dug our heads into the sand over him due to the my mum having stage 4 cancer. He was showing signs for years but we thought it was old age. He's currently living at home alone, has 10 hours in care and my brother is in and out twice a day to give meds and food. I live in a different county and have three children. I also work two jobs. I'm exhausted going up every two weeks. We cannot get any professional to sign the fair deal form, he is a danger to himself at this stage and nobody will help us. Do we need to go to a solicitor? I can't afford more solicitor bills after the 6k my mums will cost!! I'm at a loss, social worker isn't very helpful, GP isn't, nobody can guide us. Any advice welcomed, it seems since they changed the legislation nobody will help!!

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Hello @Thewomanwith3flowers. Firstly I’m sorry for the loss of your mum, it must be so hard dealing this that and your step father’s dementia diagnosis.
I’m not sure what you mean by fair deal form or what you would need a solicitor for. Are you in the UK?

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello from me also @Thewomanwith3flowers. and welcome to this friendly and supportive forum.
I'm sorry to read about your Mum's passing and now trying to support your step father with his dementia diagnosis. That's tough on you.
I , too, am not sure what you mean by a fair deal form.
If you are in the UK, it sounds as though you would be wise to get Social Services involved to do a Care needs assessment for you step father.
Anyway, do please have a good look around the forums. You will always find support and understanding here.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @Thewomanwith3flowers. and welcome to Dementia Support Forum. As others have said, our friendly community welcomes members from any country. Dementia doesn't recognise borders or differ due to geography. Health, care and other systems do, which is why it is helpful for us to know where you are, thus avoiding giving you information that is not relevant. Please do keep posting as I am sure that you'll find support here.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
There’s a helpline number here. I wonder if contacting that would be useful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allyjhilier