Stair gate?

Pilgrim

Jun 22, 2023
I woke this morning to find our back door wide open. I know I shut and locked it before going to bed last night. It is a very secure door.
The only explanation I can think of was that my husband went down the stairs and opened the door last night. He will always look for me in the garden if he cant find me.
I’m wondering if I should have a stair gate installed. But wondering if that would make it more dangerous?
any advice?

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Welcome to Dementia Support Forum @Pilgrim. It might be a good idea to put any keys in a safe place that only you know every evening. Tricky as obviously you want to be able to get out quickly if there was a fire or other crisis. The trouble with a stair gate is that your husband might try to climb over it which would be very dangerous. I guess you could try to find a tall one, and I'm sure people who have done that will be along shortly with their suggestions

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Agree with potential problem of husband trying to climb over gate.

You could fit a battery alarm to the door, there are many to choose from this one has two alarm modes, chime or siren.

Pilgrim

Jun 22, 2023
Thank you, unfortunately this door opens from the inside without a key! I’d did think a stair gate might be more dangerous.

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
Think battery alarm your best option, other than having door changed, but that obviously a lot more expensive. I too have thought about a stair gate as my OH fell down the stairs after stepping straight out as if they weren’t there, I didn’t get one as I thought he would either try and ‘barge’ his way through it or try and climb over. I firmly shut our bedroom door at night now, and as we still share a bed I always wake up if he gets out off bed. You could also put a ‘chain’ across the bedroom door, or outside door to stop him opening.?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PhilH