I can’t say or do anything right.

hillyjay

Jun 14, 2019
A vent coming so be prepared. It’s a long ‘un.
I am sick and bloody tired of being shouted at and sworn at for what, to me, was the most innocuous of remarks. Take yesterday for example. We struggled together to get a no longer needed propagator back into its box to store in the shed. OH started to carry it out the back door and I followed him and said, ‘come on, let me carry that down there’. The effing and blinding that ensued was amazing. Ended up with him shouting at me that if I wanted to effing do it then I could effing well get on with it. You always bloody do what you want anyway. In he stalked slamming every door he passed through. He spent the rest of the afternoon in his room with the door shut.

Today, I asked him to drain some water out of the overflowing water butt at the end of the garden. Drain it into a plastic muck bucket. He asked where to put the water. I told him I normally tip it out under the back gate (into a rarely used grassy alley). He said the water wouldn’t go under the gate. Like a fool I said ‘yes, it does, that’s what I do to drain it.’. I know, I contradicted him, shouldn’t have done that etc etc. A repeat performance of yesterday with swearing and cursing me.

Yes, I’ve read about compassionate communication. Yes, he probably feels I’m criticising but I CAN‘T Help it!!! I make what is to me a normal reply and it lights the blue touch paper.

Even my evenings aren’t my own as he sits there waiting, fidgeting and glancing at the clock until I ‘find some thing to watch’ for us both. If he starts to go up to bed before me (bliss, some time to myself even if only for 15-20 mins) I’m given warnings about not being too late, how he saw my light on late last night. (i was reading and trying to switch off). Sometimes he even comes back down again just to see if I’ve fallen asleep on the sofa. I haven’t, I just want a bit of time without second guessing him and treading on eggshells.

Thanks if you’ve got through this, I just needed to vent to people who’ll understand..

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
I understand. One of our worst was over jet washing and then sealing the patio and paths. My OH also always wants me to be in bed when he is - with light out. Oh the hours I’ve spent playing solitaire and mahjong under the blanket, quickly turning phone over everytime he moves.

hillyjay

Jun 14, 2019
Thank you @Blissy and @Knitandpurl. Yes, the slightest thing can be a trigger. Other times he can be almost as he was when he’d do anything for me.
i can only imagine jet washing and sealing the patio and paths. I even avoid getting him to help me change the bed (as he used to do) as it inevitably ends in a row and him stalking off in temper.

As for going to bed - we don’t even share the same room but still he likes to know I’m upstairs. There’s a pane of glass over the bedroom door and so he can see if I’ve still got the light on. Like you I resort to switching off the light and playing games on my iPad before reading on it, hoping that he won’t notice the dim glow coming from around the door and the glass above it. (He insists on sleeping with his door wide open).
Do you ever feel like a kid trying to sneakily do things like that without ‘mum/dad/teacher/whoever is in charge’ catching you?
I‘m turned 70 and I’ve reverted back to sneakily trying to listen to or play games under the duvet with the backlight of the screen dimmed and the bedside light off. They make us feel like kids again and not in a nice way!

Makethebestofit

Mar 29, 2022
@Hilly I was just about to post something almost exactly the same as you! My OH is constantly verbally attacking me for completely innocuous remarks. I've just been sworn at, told I'm an 'Old goat' and told I need to go and live somewhere else. It's all because I dared to put a wash on! He can't explain why he's cross, or what I have done because he doesn't remember but he's angry and I am the recipient of his wrath. It makes me very sad, is this what my life has become? It's so good to know others are in the same boat. I know I need to get better at communicating but it's so difficult to get it right! I never know when I'm going to trigger him but it always happens when I'm tired and his abuse hits me harder.

hillyjay

Jun 14, 2019
Would he notice if you stuck paper over the glass?
I’ve already got that sticky frosted stuff on the glass but if I block it completely it’ll cut out light onto the stairs. I used to also drape a scarf (Très casual!) over the light. To answer your question, yes he’d notice and then I’d get complaints about making the stairs dark!

hillyjay

Jun 14, 2019
@Hilly I was just about to post something almost exactly the same as you! My OH is constantly verbally attacking me for completely innocuous remarks. I've just been sworn at, told I'm an 'Old goat' and told I need to go and live somewhere else. It's all because I dared to put a wash on! He can't explain why he's cross, or what I have done because he doesn't remember but he's angry and I am the recipient of his wrath. It makes me very sad, is this what my life has become? It's so good to know others are in the same boat. I know I need to get better at communicating but it's so difficult to get it right! I never know when I'm going to trigger him but it always happens when I'm tired and his abuse hits me harder.
Oh, @Makethebestofit I do understand! You’re left sort of stunned, what did I do? what did I say? My OH can’t explain either and no point in asking him what I’ve done/said because it would give him a reason to get even more angry.
The abuse does hit hard and though we’re supposed to remember that it’s not really HIM saying these things, they hurt all the same. I keep remembering them too. When he’s not being angry he can be kind and easy going and he’d never have behaved like this before.

How was your OH before dementia struck?

JaxG

May 15, 2021
Rant away, I feel the same as you @hillyjay . This sort of abuse is so hard to deal with. It is domestic abuse, and personally I am rather sick of being told to just get on with it. Why should we? I've been physically attacked, shouted at, and threatened for having an opinion or asking a question. One of the richest countries in the world and there is no help, no meaningful support and as carers we are pushed beyond our limits. A year ago I reached breaking point, I contacted SS but every time I am told to sell my home (all that is left after paying off husband's debts) and make myself homeless and penniless. Fortunately my OH has been prescribed anti psychotic medication and he is calmer. His disease has progressed and he has very limited functioning now, he is no longer angry but he can do almost nothing without support. He sleeps a lot so it is easier in one way, but I've been living like this for about 7 years and I'm exhausted. You are not alone, it's not much of a life.

leny connery

Nov 13, 2022
oh, dear, hugs all around, fellow carers! head and heart , I was told by the kind admiral nurse. the head understands but the heart hurts nevertheless. rant and offload. It is in a small way letting off the steam. Tonight I am thinking of all of you out there looking after that persons we used to love. difficult to say the love is still there, but it must be, alongside pity, and tears for both of us and the OH with this disease.
10 years? I am appalled. How can I do this for that long? Only have done 5 and of that only this last year has been hard

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
I’ve already got that sticky frosted stuff on the glass but if I block it completely it’ll cut out light onto the stairs. I used to also drape a scarf (Très casual!) over the light. To answer your question, yes he’d notice and then I’d get complaints about making the stairs dark!
Could you use motion sensor lights on the landing so it lights up automatically if he goes onto the landing? Or a low light/ dimmer bulb in the ceiling light instead and cover your glass panel. If you have a plug maybe a children's night light

sunshine chrissy

Apr 1, 2022
Cheshire
Thank you @Blissy and @Knitandpurl. Yes, the slightest thing can be a trigger. Other times he can be almost as he was when he’d do anything for me.
i can only imagine jet washing and sealing the patio and paths. I even avoid getting him to help me change the bed (as he used to do) as it inevitably ends in a row and him stalking off in temper.

As for going to bed - we don’t even share the same room but still he likes to know I’m upstairs. There’s a pane of glass over the bedroom door and so he can see if I’ve still got the light on. Like you I resort to switching off the light and playing games on my iPad before reading on it, hoping that he won’t notice the dim glow coming from around the door and the glass above it. (He insists on sleeping with his door wide open).
Do you ever feel like a kid trying to sneakily do things like that without ‘mum/dad/teacher/whoever is in charge’ catching you?
I‘m turned 70 and I’ve reverted back to sneakily trying to listen to or play games under the duvet with the backlight of the screen dimmed and the bedside light off. They make us feel like kids again and not in a nice way!

sunshine chrissy

Apr 1, 2022
Cheshire
Oh you've just described exactly the life I lived until my OH went into residential care last December!!! I tried for so long,over 2 years,to keep him at home and look after him but I finally gave in,it was taken out of my hands by social services after an assessment,I was heartbroken at the time but it was the right decision,it took 2 months for him to settle in but he's content and I'm living a calm peaceful life now.I still cry when I come home after visiting but that's for the life we should have had in the future together,he's so well looked after in there but he's only 62🥲

Shirleyblue

Dec 17, 2023
A vent coming so be prepared. It’s a long ‘un.
I am sick and bloody tired of being shouted at and sworn at for what, to me, was the most innocuous of remarks. Take yesterday for example. We struggled together to get a no longer needed propagator back into its box to store in the shed. OH started to carry it out the back door and I followed him and said, ‘come on, let me carry that down there’. The effing and blinding that ensued was amazing. Ended up with him shouting at me that if I wanted to effing do it then I could effing well get on with it. You always bloody do what you want anyway. In he stalked slamming every door he passed through. He spent the rest of the afternoon in his room with the door shut.

Today, I asked him to drain some water out of the overflowing water butt at the end of the garden. Drain it into a plastic muck bucket. He asked where to put the water. I told him I normally tip it out under the back gate (into a rarely used grassy alley). He said the water wouldn’t go under the gate. Like a fool I said ‘yes, it does, that’s what I do to drain it.’. I know, I contradicted him, shouldn’t have done that etc etc. A repeat performance of yesterday with swearing and cursing me.

Yes, I’ve read about compassionate communication. Yes, he probably feels I’m criticising but I CAN‘T Help it!!! I make what is to me a normal reply and it lights the blue touch paper.

Even my evenings aren’t my own as he sits there waiting, fidgeting and glancing at the clock until I ‘find some thing to watch’ for us both. If he starts to go up to bed before me (bliss, some time to myself even if only for 15-20 mins) I’m given warnings about not being too late, how he saw my light on late last night. (i was reading and trying to switch off). Sometimes he even comes back down again just to see if I’ve fallen asleep on the sofa. I haven’t, I just want a bit of time without second guessing him and treading on eggshells.

Thanks if you’ve got through this, I just needed to vent to people who’ll understand.. rant I read makes ME feel less alone. It reassures me that others are suffering as well and our feelings are entirely normal.

Shirleyblue

Dec 17, 2023
Every rant I read makes me feel less alone and reassures me that these feelings are normal and valid. Thank you for rant sharing. 🙂

christielola

Apr 5, 2024
HI. I have only just found this forum. My husband has only recently been diagnosed with alzheimers and is already having mood swings and everything is MY fault. I'm finding this quite hard to deal with and don't always know how to handle it. It is comforting to see that others are going through the same thing and that's its not actually my fault. X

Springfield

Dec 18, 2021
I so identify with you!
My other half NEVER swore when our children were young and rarely if ever used really bad language ever. Now he uses bad language all the time. It is SO hard to not take it personally when I'm told how effing stupid I am. He questions EVERYTHING I do. I get told what to do, how to do it and when to do it. Whilst driving he sounds just like Hyacinth Bouquet = mind that gate. there are cows in that field, there are trees hanging over the road! I do have an outsize sense of humour but on a bad day it is unbearable.

On the other hand HE will not be told or advised about ANYTHING. Today he scraped the car with his mobility scooter because he would not wait for me to move other obstacles or be advised that the gap was not wide enough.

Stay strong - sharing the hard times helps. we all have so much experience to share.

Best wishes.