Split personality in someone with dementia

masquereader

Jun 8, 2022
I’d really like to know if any other carers for people with dementia are experiencing this; and if so, how they’re dealing with it. It’s very disorientating, because the two sides of my partner’s personality require different interaction. But it’s even more weird than that: the difference between his morning (bad) self and his late afternoon/evening (good) self is quite marked.

He has FTD, and it’s as if he’s split into two extremes of his pre-dementia personality, and gradually morphs from one into the other during the day. He does manage to pull himself together for other people, so only I see the morning personaility. I really don’t know where I am. I just want to love, protect and care for him in the evenings; come the morning, he’s gone and been replaced by this person that I don’t want to carry on being responsible for any more. He has no children, and his sisters have their own problems, although they are as supportive as they can be; so there’s no-one to share the responsibility with me.

And does anyone have any idea why this strange split between the two halves of the day is happening? I have a feeling there might be a physical cause: low blood sugar perhaps? Something physiological/hormonal? He doesn’t like being encouraged to eat when he gets up, but I do try.

Thank you

Angel55

Oct 23, 2023
I’d really like to know if any other carers for people with dementia are experiencing this; and if so, how they’re dealing with it. It’s very disorientating, because the two sides of my partner’s personality require different interaction. But it’s even more weird than that: the difference between his morning (bad) self and his late afternoon/evening (good) self is quite marked.

He has FTD, and it’s as if he’s split into two extremes of his pre-dementia personality, and gradually morphs from one into the other during the day. He does manage to pull himself together for other people, so only I see the morning personaility. I really don’t know where I am. I just want to love, protect and care for him in the evenings; come the morning, he’s gone and been replaced by this person that I don’t want to carry on being responsible for any more. He has no children, and his sisters have their own problems, although they are as supportive as they can be; so there’s no-one to share the responsibility with me.

And does anyone have any idea why this strange split between the two halves of the day is happening? I have a feeling there might be a physical cause: low blood sugar perhaps? Something physiological/hormonal? He doesn’t like being encouraged to eat when he gets up, but I do try.

Thank you
Hello💗

If it is a really clearly marked split in personality between am and pm it could be hunger, low blood sugar , you could try and see if there is any physical cause like that. Tiredness and sundowning?? later pm is possible. If someone has other health conditions that can contribute as well.

My loved one has alzheimers however there are two people , the Dad and the other Dad. The other Dad is a tricky customer. It is quite clear when the other Dad is turning up now, I first noted Dad's eyes would change in their appearance slightly or his general air was aggitated and he looked uncomfortable in his own skin.

I think dementia illnesses of any description can leave you thinking what is going on here? It seems very individual to me.

We never really found any support to be fair (dad lives in residential care now) but if you haven't already maybe a group would be good in your area for yourself to talk to others ?? even some household help can be a way of getting a little support 💗 I did use the admiral nurse service through this website and they were very nice and supportive.

Sorry I haven't been much help but I am sure others will be along soon to add some other ideas/support.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @masquereader I do not have any experience of FTD so cannot advise you on the behaviours that you describe. However i would suggest that you contact your partner's doctor to rule out any physical cause and also to seek their advice.

masquereader

Jun 8, 2022
Hello💗

If it is a really clearly marked split in personality between am and pm it could be hunger, low blood sugar , you could try and see if there is any physical cause like that. Tiredness and sundowning?? later pm is possible. If someone has other health conditions that can contribute as well.

My loved one has alzheimers however there are two people , the Dad and the other Dad. The other Dad is a tricky customer. It is quite clear when the other Dad is turning up now, I first noted Dad's eyes would change in their appearance slightly or his general air was aggitated and he looked uncomfortable in his own skin.

I think dementia illnesses of any description can leave you thinking what is going on here? It seems very individual to me.

We never really found any support to be fair (dad lives in residential care now) but if you haven't already maybe a group would be good in your area for yourself to talk to others ?? even some household help can be a way of getting a little support 💗 I did use the admiral nurse service through this website and they were very nice and supportive.

Sorry I haven't been much help but I am sure others will be along soon to add some other ideas/support.
Thanks for the reply. I think you’re right: every person’s dementia is different
Hello @masquereader I do not have any experience of FTD so cannot advise you on the behaviours that you describe. However i would suggest that you contact your partner's doctor to rule out any physical cause and also to seek their advice.
Thanks for the reply. I‘ve mentioned it more than once to medical professionals and they’ve never picked up on it: I get the impression it’s not common and they don’t think it’s indicative of anything. I just thought there might be someone else here with similar experience. He was tested pretty exhaustively for any physical cause when he first presented with frailty and mental changes

Angel55

Oct 23, 2023
Thanks for the reply. I think you’re right: every person’s dementia is different

Thanks for the reply. I‘ve mentioned it more than once to medical professionals and they’ve never picked up on it: I get the impression it’s not common and they don’t think it’s indicative of anything. I just thought there might be someone else here with similar experience. He was tested pretty exhaustively for any physical cause when he first presented with frailty and mental changes
💗 There may be someone who has a similar experience who will reply to you soon x

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Well sundowning is a common phenomena on here, maybe sunupping is the opposite, perform worse in the morning than the evening.
Same split in the day but in reverse from the usual one, evening low performance becomes low performance in the morning.
Personally I've always been a night owl person, my wife was the opposite, she got sundowning, maybe sometime I might become a sunupper.
Note to self, get a postlady as a girlfriend next time.
K