Social Workers and your views on their conduct

JackMac

umm, I have not had experience of this but I am sure others have here as I have read things similar here before. I would suggest posting the details on the board and see what can be done too....i.e. where do you stand with the law with these things.
I agree that when someone is not capable of managing their finances, others need to protect them....but legally I don't know what should be happening.
It could help if you had power of attorney I would imagine? We have it with mum so if we were ever worried, we can take over her finances very quickly.

Someone should be advising you about all of this though and if they have not been helpful, then that's a reason in itself to complain.

Have you asked the Alzheimers society? they might point you in the right direction.

If you need to go the MP then do so. Ours was so lovely and supportive. He might be very unimpressed when we contact him again.

jackmac

KAnne

Account Closed
If anyone out there could help me compile your experiences of Social Workers please I would appreciate it. I need to hear from each of you, only once, and just briefly answering the following:

A) Have you experience of dealing with Social Workers, a) for yourself, b) on behalf of other family member/s?

B) Was the experience good, bad, indifferent

C) Was the original reason for involving Social Workers ever resolved

D) If not resolved, how long ago since getting them involved

E) Did you have to officially complain

I want to write to my MP to give him a picture of how satisfied/not satisfied we all are with SW and whether or not they should be qualified for certain criteria, especially conducting mental capacity assessments.

Any other comments you have regarding this is also welcomed.

Thanks for your time

Thanks all

First of all, make sure the people you are talking about actually ARE social workers, Norfolkgirl, because these assessment people are sometimes from Care Connect and they are not real social workers! more filters before you get to see a social worker

I've had quite a bit of experience with SW's. They're not all they're cracked up to be, not particularly articulate, or understanding, or up on the entire system..they're not reachable in the office and are in no rush to ring back, they move on rather quickly and engage in box ticking quite often. They put their 'plan' in action and then leave the scene, expecting the 'system' to put their plan into action which frequently doesn't happen. They load too much info on you, all at once and involve a lot of other agencies and help, most of which I hadn't a clue who they were.
They can be nice and do often have the patients best interest at heart, they are professional in a way and they are trained but they are certainly NOT infallible and you must be on the case yourself, driving every detail

this is my experience:)

Norfolkgirl

Account Closed
umm, I have not had experience of this but I am sure others have here as I have read things similar here before. I would suggest posting the details on the board and see what can be done too....i.e. where do you stand with the law with these things.

Unfortunately, the abusers beat me to it in getting LPA. They know I knew what they are doing.

Norfolkgirl

Account Closed
First of all, make sure the people you are talking about actually ARE social workers, Norfolkgirl, because these assessment people are sometimes from Care Connect and they are not real social workers! more filters before you get to see a social worker

this is my experience:)

My experience too, I know they are SW cos they sent official letters to me with their details. All 3 different SW's I requested to protect my mother tell me something completely different and one discovered I was right only when she saw all evidence I got (ONLY AFTER first seeing CH staff, my mother and her abuser's accomplice + believing their story over mine!).

jenniferpa

Just a word of warning here: this forum is open to everyone. That means if there is a possibility of some kind of legal case it would be wise not to post a lot of detail here. Also, because we are the most obvious dementia forum, if you have family members who you are in conflict with do not be surprised if they end up posting here as well.

You may think you are anonymous but you might not be that anonymous to anyone who knows you intimately. I'm not trying to limit discussion but just want to make everyone aware.

NeverGiveUp

NorfolkGirl

Have you checked their registration on SW register, i can't remember the actual organisation name, someone else should know - I think it may have changed its name.

I have letters from a medical professional copied to a named person and 'social worker' put as the job title, when I checked the register that person wasn't a registered social worker.

Norfolkgirl

Account Closed
NorfolkGirl

Have you checked their registration on SW register, i can't remember the actual organisation name, someone else should know - I think it may have changed its name.

I have letters from a medical professional copied to a named person and 'social worker' put as the job title, when I checked the register that person wasn't a registered social worker.

Have just discovered that most of SW registered will be from 1st Aug 2012 because of changes to registration with HPC since then so this doesn't tell me if they were registered prior to this date. Have checked two of SW who are registered - need to now check other one but guess it'll be the same.

Last edited:

Norfolkgirl

Account Closed
Phone them and ask about prior registration, records must be kept somewhere.

I have but they say they only have details from when they took over on 1st Aug 2012! Given up as I don't think it is an issue of SW/s registration, just their unprofessional opinions.