Social Workers and your views on their conduct

Norfolkgirl

Account Closed
If anyone out there could help me compile your experiences of Social Workers please I would appreciate it. I need to hear from each of you, only once, and just briefly answering the following:

A) Have you experience of dealing with Social Workers, a) for yourself, b) on behalf of other family member/s?

B) Was the experience good, bad, indifferent

C) Was the original reason for involving Social Workers ever resolved

D) If not resolved, how long ago since getting them involved

E) Did you have to officially complain

I want to write to my MP to give him a picture of how satisfied/not satisfied we all are with SW and whether or not they should be qualified for certain criteria, especially conducting mental capacity assessments.

Any other comments you have regarding this is also welcomed.

Thanks for your time

Thanks all

Saffie

I don't kow what your angle is on this nor why you are writing to your MP but if it's to complain my post won't help you. When my husband was in hospital he had a SW allocated to him from the local office in preparation for him entering a Nursing home.She was great, really helpful, supported me when I refused a place in a particular home, did everything she could to help me.

I had no complaints. I then sold a jointly owned holiday chalet, so my husband became totally self-funded for some time. Then his savings fell below the upper threshold and a diffrent SW was allocated. This lady was even better and, as my husband was of course already in a nusing home by now, she visited and queried his care and care plan and lots of smaller issues and also supported me and fought my corner where finances were concerned as well. I was unhappy when I learnt that due to the location of my husband's nursing home, he would fall under a different SS office and thus would have a different SW. I actually wrote to ask if i could keep her.

I know that some people have a problem with their SW but I have not experienced this and hope that i never will. I hope I haven't jinxed any dealings with future SWs by writing this post!!!!!

Last edited:

Norfolkgirl

Account Closed
I don't kow what your angle is on this nor why you are writing to your MP but if it's to complain my post won't help you. When my husband was in hospital he had a SW allocated to him from the local office in preparation for him entering a Nursing home.She was great, really helpful, supported me when I refused a place in a particular home, did everything she could to help me.

QUOTE]

Saffie, I wanted to gain an insight into whether there are more negative outcomes of SW involvement in the protection of adults who suffer mental illnesses than there should be, especially those who are deemed by SW as vulnerable yet cannot be protected. I then want to pass this on to relevant authorities, if I get enough support from TP posters, to maybe get the lawmakers to amend laws whereby vulnerable people should be helped, particularly those who are unable to help themselves if left to their own devices and are unable to protect themselves from harm, be it financially, medically, physically etc. Would you not agree?

jan1962

Hi there,

my mother in law has has 3 SW i last 3 years, first 1 helped get respit care then went odd sick to be replaced by a temp, she was not much use.

she is now onto her 3 SW who is worth her weight in gold. she is the youngest one she has had and seemed more in tune with what was required.

she was appointed after a crisis over the last bank holiday week end. she came out to see my MIL on the Wednesday the following week and assessed the problem and contacted my MIL consultant at the memory clinic, she was admitted to assessment unit and is still there. she has attended every meeting at the hospital and agreement was made that my MIL needed emi nursing care.

the only meeting she could not attend was the nursing assessment but her boss attended for her, but we were introduced before this. he was great during that assessment and as a result of their input my MIL has been given full CHC..

sorry if you are having problem with your SW and i hope you get sorted

jan1962

Saffie

Would you not agree?
I would indeed. No criticism was intended of your motives. I just didn't want you to be disappointed by my experience. I am aware that there are good and bad SWs as there are good and bad in just about all walks of life. I just hope i don't ever get to meet one!

Which laws exaclty need altering - your post does not make this clear.

Norfolkgirl

Account Closed
I would indeed. No criticism was intended of your motives. I just didn't want you to be disappointed by my experience. I am aware that there are good and bad SWs as there are good and bad in just about all walks of life. I just hope i don't ever get to meet one!

Which laws exaclty need altering - your post does not make this clear.

I haven't looked into which laws particularly, just if my MP could give me some pointers, especially if I find there are more negatives of involvements with SW portrayed by TP posts. So far I've noted equal experiences to my request on this, so not a compelling start. From the posts I've read, there seems to be problems where there are more family members in dispute over the vulnerable adult of concern where the SW tends to vilify those who raise the initial complaints for the safeguarding of their loved ones and the ones in same family who don't complain seem to be listened to/taken more seriously even if this doesn't safeguard the V.A. of concern.

From my experience my mother has had 3 different SWs. First one denied mum had any medical issues to make her vulnerable (which is rubbish as the GP has relevant evidence). The second one agreed mum was vulnerable and after listening to the "others" and deemed there was nothing wrong, she saw my evidence and changed her mind! She couldn't do anything cos mum didn't give consent (of course she didn't, she has no clue what's going on!). The third SW now says that she is only going by what my mum says/thinks (which gives you impression they haven't taken into consideration the second SW's views!). Never got anywhere since. You get where I'm coming from?

Last edited:

Norfolkgirl

Account Closed
Norfolkgirl

Have a look around the CarersUK Facebook page, you may see something interesting.

Hi, I'm not a Facebook user. I closed my account as soon as knew the abuser decided to be on it. Not sure I can view Carers UK page on FB if not got an account? If not, could you let me know what it says please?

Charlyparly

I guess much depends on individual cases. I’ve had experiences of cases where families had concerns about a relative and felt them vulnerable so were requesting that social services have them taken into care or away from their current accommodation.

One lady (amongst many other things) insisted on using the stairs despite frequent falls and continued to smoke cigarettes in her bedroom at night despite almost setting the place on fire twice. Her behaviour was bizarre to say the least and she was assessed at length by social workers, OT’s, the Older People’s Mental Health Team etc to ascertain her level of mental capacity.

Despite everyone having the same worries, little could be done because she had full mental capacity, the ability to make her own decisions and understood the level of risk at which she put herself. Granted the level of risk was considerable and a concern to most but nevertheless, she had sufficient mental capacity to understand this and make her own choices – even though they were very poor ones.

Her family couldn’t understand why their relative couldn’t be made to move into care because of a fear they might get injured / ill / be otherwise at risk and considered social workers to be negligent in failing to have her detained.

On the other hand, I’ve recently had experience of a vulnerable lady with dementia who came into our residential home via social services emergency duty team and the local police following the discovery of her at home alone and without electricity, food, money and very confused - not knowing where she was or where her son (main carer) had gone.

We had numerous problems with this lady’s son over the course of the next few months whom it was discovered had drained out all her bank accounts and still had her bank books and cards etc. Long story short – Social Services assumed responsibility for all her finances and a safeguarding alert was raised into his suitability to care for her.

He took issue with his Mum being with us from day one and started demanding that she either go home with him or be moved elsewhere because he didn’t feel we were looking after her. She’d settled, was eating well and had gained some of the weight she’d lost and was generally much better physically and mentally. When her son wasn’t around, she said she wanted to stay with us and even told her social worker the same in private one afternoon. When asked what she wanted to do when he was there, she sheepishly said she was happy to do whatever her son wanted.

With the son putting the damage on and really kicking up a stink, social services agreed to her transferring to another home which I was extremely annoyed about.

The social workers seemed unwilling to take on board our concerns that the situation about him being unhappy with her being in care would continue wherever she went and that it was not in her best interests to continue moving her from one place to another.

In my opinion, moving her to another home at the request of her son (who was the subject of an ongoing safeguarding investigation) was totally inappropriate.

They failed her completely. :mad:

2jays

My experience of social workers

In the 1980's the social work team were spilt into different areas. If I can remember rightly they were

Childrens
Elderly
Mental health
Adult

Then it was all reorganised and there was not a specific department for the elderly and they were merged into the new department children and families.

I don't think that a social worker who has an interest in children would be as good a social worker as a social worker with an interest in the elderly. That's where I think the problem lies. But bugets are small.

Charlyparly

The worst social workers I’ve met are those straight out of university with no hands on experience of the area in which they’re going to be based and just think they can rely on what they learned in a lecture theatre and happily bumble along seeing the world in black and white. :mad:

The best social work manager I ever worked for came to us from child protection based in South London and had seen it all by the time she came up North and took over as manager of our older people’s team. She was second to none when it came to giving consideration to every single possibility and was a dab hand at using the “Ways and Means Act” to make sure people were given the right level of care and support.

Whether this was because she’d been faced with such hellish conditions to work with in her previous job and had to find solutions out of thin air or whether it was just due to her nature – I don’t know for sure. Possibly both. Either way she was outstanding. :)

Saffie

don't think that a social worker who has an interest in children would be as good a social worker as a social worker with an interest in the elderly. That's where I think the problem lies. But bugets are small.

Social Services in this county are separated into Childrens Servces and Adult Care so SWs wouldn't be working in both areas.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Yes. My mum had a hospital social worker when she was due to be discharged from hospital. She was excellent. After this period I phoned the SW department and asked for a needs assessment for my mum. Since then we have had the same SW fir my mum and then for my husband. Again he is excellent. When my mum died a year ago he made sure that he remained as my husband's SW. I was very pleased about this. He guided me through the Direct Payments process and ensured that he put forward a case which would be accepted. I am eternally grateful to him for that.

I know lots of people have bad experiences with SW but as you can see I'm not one.

2jays

Saffie - Ahhhhh since I was involved, I guess they have had a new reorganisation then.
Not been part of social service world for a long time - only when the kids were young.
And avoided them when they started treating the kids as disabled kids, not a person with a disability.

Still if you have such a large remit, adult services, I wouldnt have thought you could expect them to be an expert on every subject. But I do understand hard as it is - budget cuts.

Norfolkgirl

Account Closed
I guess much depends on individual cases. I’ve had experiences of cases where families had concerns about a relative and felt them vulnerable so were requesting that social services have them taken into care or away from their current accommodation.

QUOTE]

Thanks Charlyparly, this is the sort of thing I need to hear about, to backup also what I have experienced. Although in my experience my mum's abuser is too clever to drain mum of ALL her money so that it doesn't seem TOO obvious!

Charlyparly

Thanks Charlyparly, this is the sort of thing I need to hear about, to backup also what I have experienced. Although in my experience my mum's abuser is too clever to drain mum of ALL her money so that it doesn't seem TOO obvious!
Hi again. I don't quite understand what you mean when you say this is what you need to hear more about - which bit do you want more info on exactly?

It’d be helpful if you could give a bit more background so I have more of an idea as to what you want to know. :)

JackMac

I get where you are going with this because I am totally at a loss with ours too and would like to do something about it. I think you have to focus in your area though....according to the letter I got from Andrew Landsleys office ;) yes thats how mad I was.

A) Have you experience of dealing with Social Workers, a) for yourself, b) on behalf of other family member/s?
on behalf of my mum who has dementia.

B) Was the experience good, bad, indifferent
The experience was shocking. Unreturned calls. Ignoring our pleas for help for dad who was close to collapsing from exhaustion (he's 76). Started a nursing agency in May which social services are supposed to be paying for but dad has not received any money yet.....we are still waiting. This is following the complaint being 'resolved'

C) Was the original reason for involving Social Workers ever resolved
We resolved it, not them by hiring an agency. They are supposed be paying direct payments but we are still waiting.
Also, they talked dad into putting mum into daycare for an extra day but they have not paid for it yet...dad is still paying.

D) If not resolved, how long ago since getting them involved
Made an official complaint I think it was end of April or May. It's now 10th August and things are still not resolved. This is following a meeting with the head of department and the local MP......might have to contact that MP again.

E) Did you have to officially complain
Yes and had a meeting with an MP. Social services admitted all wrong doings, apologised, said things would be changed, said dad would get backpay.........and that was May. Nothing has changed. Dad is doing better because we arranged an agency to go in but he's going to struggle to pay for it soon.

I literally lost it one day when I looked at my poor dad looking like he would collapse. He said to me "I can't describe it, it just really gets to you in the end"
I lost the plot then and complained to social services and the NHS (the CPN's were even worse!). I copied the local MP in to the whole thing and he was the first person to pick up the phone and say what could he do to help. He arranged a meeting which went really well we thought but here we are and nothing has improved really. I'm not sure what to do now but I'm thinking I will go back to the MP.

The bloke dealing with our complaint actually sees why we are mad and understands our frustration as they have ignored him too at times!

I just can't sit back and let it go. I keep thinking one day someone is going to die from ill health caused by being a carer because social services ignored them.

It's not just us. I keep hearing other stories in our area too.

good luck....don't give up. Somebody has to be the one to change things.......why not us? :)

jackmac

Norfolkgirl

Account Closed
I get where you are going with this because I am totally at a loss with ours too and would like to do something about it. I think you have to focus in your area though....according to the letter I got from Andrew Landsleys office ;) yes thats how mad I was.

jackmac

Oh thank you jackmac, you're the only one so far with very similar experiences to me and sees where I'm coming from. Interesting to hear of your experiences with MP who I have not tried yet. Yours is mainly to do with funding for your dad which obviously has an impact on his care that he desperately needs. Shocking that they all agree you are right but yet not done anything to help. My situation is more to do with getting someone to look at my evidence of financial abuse of my mum but because she won't consent to investigations (she's oblivious) then I believe, due to the nature of her illnesses, this should be overridden. She cannot protect herself if she's oblivious what's going on and suffering memory loss on top of this! Just not right!