So bizarre !

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Hugs to skycat, then. Hopes the vet can Improve things for her.

I get high for both. Fortunately already had a reasonable car, so. not a problem. Don’t do much driving now, anyway. Not sure I’m ever going to make the southwest again! Maybe, in stages! Though I already stop on the way down to see my elderly friend. And you, maybe! Twice last year I took a local bus, who run holidays down that way. But a very uncomfortable bus!

I’ve just been reading an article on fatigue, it put me to sleep! Better go and have lunch, I think.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
So - a little attempt at an update - @Ann Mac hope you had a good holiday and the landing back in the cold UK isn't too much of a shock to the system.

@Spamar - glad you've got your PIP sorted - one less worry. Would a different car be comfier to drive and make things easier?

@2jays - sorry to hear you are in retreat - those 'professional' builders need naming and shaming on your local social media, home you have reported to trading standards, and perhaps a small claims court is the route to go - they rarely bother to defend but often use the bankruptcy route to slide out of things

@Slugsta - glad you had a good holiday, not good news to come home to.

Mum had an annual SS review a few weeks ago. Having been reported to safeguarding once before (because she had no food when stupid carer looked in wrong cupboards!!! as mum forgot which cupboards) I was quite stressed in the run up to it. Anyway it turns out the council were reviewing everyone because they have changed their policy on what is included in care, so what they call domiciliary (cleaning and clothes washing) is no longer included in care charges. This means that my mum's 1.5 hours per week of cleaning and clothes washing, can no longer be included in her care charges. As the care is banded in 5 hour chunks and mum is currently in the 10 hour band, she is paying the same for care, but then having to pay privately for the other bit now, so £24 a week extra (£1,248 a year). I am very annoyed about this, but save writing to the local paper a bit unsure what I can do about it. Mum now has 7.5 hours of care out of 10 paid for, and doesn't need anymore at the moment. When she got to the top of the 5 hours she paid privately for the cleaning, but this just seems a money making exercise to me for the council as presumably they only pay the care co for the hours they do (mum pays the council for the care element and the care co for the cleaning element now). In the grand scheme of things compared to carehome costs not a lot - at most 2 weeks(I know early stage dementia at the end of my road would be 2 weeks), but as mum is likely to be self funding forever it feels like it is money out of my pocket, although half goes to my brother, I know it is mum's money, and I don't mind her paying for this or a care home in due course but I just feel I am getting ripped off. In due course it means there are more hours to play with so won't last forever as an issue.

I'll try and update more later.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Councils, all skint, though I guess some are skinter than others!
Such a difference from 10 years ago when OH was getting daycare and 3 hours extra care! I always gave the carer money for coffee and cake for them both, cos OH would do most things if there was c&c at the end of it, and if I took him out, I would buy for us both, so why not?

JM, I use the nearby garage cos they will always take me home, pick me up if it’s something like a service. I chose the best car for me last time I changed cars. I really need to change again, but am putting it off! Car goes for a service in a couple of weeks, maybe I’d better look around!

It’s just nice to know the money is ‘safe’, rather than being withdrawn suddenly. Think I shall have to give cleaner and gardener a pay rise!

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Evening all,

Thanks for the update Jm, I agree it is hard to know what to do, especially as - as Spamar said - the councils are trying to make too little go too far :(

We once took a local tradesman to small claims court. He didn't bother to turn up to defend but we never got the money owed either (the letter from the bailiffs pretty much said we would be wasting our time and money trying to collect :(

Spamar, I hope you are able to find a suitable car.

Skycat is very much better today and clearly trying to make up for lost food :)

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Meant to add @Lindy50 please do pop in here from time to time, I can't promise that all posts will contain the falling off bike levels on entertainment. Maybe drop the saddle a bit on your static bike to make it easier to get on? but once confident raise it again.

So other news, some of you will recall my friend who had a stroke in Jan, the day after returning from our weekend away, he died earlier this month. He was 73. With holidays etc overlapping with another friend, I hadn't been aware of his deterioration, but he had had repeated infections, hospital admissions for IV ABs, which were no longer really working so the inevitable decision was taken for no more hospital. When I visited him in late May early June, he knew us, and laughed at our conversation, but never regained any speech. And a slow deterioration started in July, I'm guessing TIAs. Funeral will be in a couple of weeks, immediate family for committal and then at a hotel for the eulogies and wake. We are taking the children, it will be their first funeral, so potentially quite traumatic. He was part of a group of 10 or so who were regulars at our annual parties.

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Thanks @jugglingmum, I may well pop in from time to time if it's okay :)
Since I closed my 'Mum's Journey' thread I don't have a real home base. I will probably start a new thread but honestly haven't had time in the last couple of weeks.
Re the static bike - the saddle is already as low as it will go :oops: Not sure how to go about it now, may use a little step - I'm very tiny lol :D
I'm sorry to hear about your friend, it sounds as though your whole family and a lot of friends will be mourning his passing at the funeral. 73 is, as they say, no age these days, is it? Take care xx
Lindy xx

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Now realised parent's night for dau is same day as funeral. Funeral starts at 2.30 at hotel and not sure what time it will finish, had to book parent's night appts for 6, but I know there are 5 speakers, so I'm guessing that will take until 3.30 at least and then food etc, easily takes until 5.30. OH will do parent's night whilst I do fencing. More juggling.

Funeral states not black - not sure what you then wear.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Hello all - the wanderer returns!

Haven't had chance for a proper catch up, but after a brief skim, Slugsta - I hope Skycat is OK, JM - I'm so sorry about your friend, Spamar - good luck with finding a new car, Amy - glad you had a good holiday, and 2jays - so sorry you have the stress of the building woes xxx

The holiday was fantastic - we did a little exploring and a lot of chilling. I had a fine old time photographing chipmunks, fabulous scenery, and beach shots (trying to avoid the nudists - not always successfully, which at least gives me something to laugh at!). I also fed giraffes and rode a camel! Hotel was fab, only downside was that they were not very good at catering for veggies - but it was clean, comfy, not over crowded, lovely staff and we had a gorgeous view over the pool and across to the mountains from our balcony. Fibro was a pain - literally - had a few bad nights, so we took things very easy throughout. Most mornings we would nip out and spend a couple of hours exploring, we had a full day in the zoo and another driving through Betancuria to Corellejo, and the rest of the time it was chilling round the pool. Two days we before we came home, I had a bit of a sore throat - nothing major, I thought . We got home early hours of Thursday morning, visited Mil in the afternoon (and found her fast asleep and not for waking), were told she had been a 'right madam' for the previous two days - that word 'fiesty' was used an awful lot! Went back home and woke the following morning feeling like I had golf balls wedged in my throat, all bunged up and coughing - and felt lousy. And that was me pole axed for the next 3 days, which is why I haven't been on here. Back to work yesterday - not quite fit and well, but needs must - straight into a non working laptop, a morning spent running round getting it sorted, and an afternoon spent in meetings - a 10 hour day. I have the catch up admin to do this morning, a trip to a National Trust property, with one of my groups from the gardening project this afternoon (the staff at the NT place are helping with the garden), then a meeting with a council official about the two large horse chestnut trees that need 'reducing' at the garden site - they have some sort of conservation order on them, so although there shouldn't be a problem bringing them under control, we have to do everything by the book - and its taken two weeks for the college staff to get hold of the council chappy and set up this meeting! Heaven knows how long it will take for him to then give us the 'report' that we need before we can get any work actually done!

OH started his new role as an instructor yesterday - so far, so good. Youngest has been working hard at getting her level 2 swim coaching certificate, and has already been given set hours as an instructor at two of the companies leisure centre's. There was a bit of a fall out on our return at the state of the house - but, I felt so ill, that I honestly wasn't able to take her to task as I should have done! Oldest is back into the swing of a new term and seems to love teaching as much as ever, and son has a start date for his new job as an OSG at a prison near him. He is also full of tales of my new Granddog, Oscar (already known as Oz) - who is proving to be a bit of a handfull - son tell's me that so far, he has distroyed a rug, 3 remote controls and numerous other items! They say he is getting better - lol, he better had before he visits me and teaches my pups bad habits!

Hopefully, this cold will be fully gone by the weekend and I'll be able to (a) visit Mil and (b) finish off going through my pics from the holiday. Its really nice to know that now, both OH and I will have weekends free together - that will be such a novelty for us! We may go and visit oldest - we'll see how it goes :)

Sending much love and {{{{{{{hugs}}}}}} to you all xxxxxx

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Welcome home Ann!

I'm sorry you were poleaxed by a bug as soon as you got back, also that non-working IT made your working day longer than it should have been (((hugs))).

It's good to hear that MIL has been feisty - I prefer that to her being too poorly to care! When is the next meeting with the HBM?

It's great that you and OH will get some weekends off together, the new job sounds better on all fronts.

The new Grand-dog does sound a handful! It's hardly surprising considering what some rescue dogs have been through, you have been very lucky with yours to date, but most of them respond well to consistent boundaries.

I'm afraid I have forgotten what your youngest decided regarding returning to her studies :oops: I know that, as suspected, she was reluctant to return to the academic world.

Skycat is 100% back to normal now :) It is a worry as she has had a couple of these episodes recently, and we really don't know what was wrong with her last year or what the prognosis might be (the head vet didn't expect her to last 3 months), but it does help teach me to live in the moment - as she does, of course.

Choir for me this evening, quiet day until then.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Hi, Ann, glad to hear the holiday has been (mostly) good. I await photos with bated breath!

Slugsta, so glad Skycat is better.

Have been out for usual coffee this morning, but although I had planned lunch as well, have now got to the stage of can’t be bothered! Today would have been our 36th anniversary. Where has the time gone?

Had flu jab, or rather, anti flu jab yesterday. Let’s hope it works! No shingles jab, as I’ve had shingles in the past 12 months. Will have to phone them when the years is up (Mid February).

So the nurse said, it’s not on the NHS web site!

Have a good day, everybody!

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Hi all,
Maybe I should have had the flu jab too, Slugsta and Spamar, because I am still sniffling and coughing, over a week on from our return! I haven't dared go near Mil, but OH went yesterday - and guess what? - 'Fiesty' again! (and yes - that is so much better than her being half comatosed, or unresponsive, Slugsta - you're right!). She objected to the lunch she had chosen yesterday, using choice language to explain why she wasn't going to eat it, according to OH - then when she was offrered an alternative, she kicked up stink saying it was cold. Then, when it was reheated, she refused to believe it was hot, at one point firing a chip (with fork attached!) at one of the carers. She also suddenly started running the flat of her hand up and down OH's arm, making 'zooooooom' noises - when he asked what she was doing, she told him to shut up - she was busy 'mowing' his arm! Bizarre as ever!

I'm so glad to read that Skycat is better, Slugsta and doing well again. So worrying for you though, that no one really know what is wrong with her. Got everything crossed that she continues to be OK for a long time to come.

We don't really know what the background is for son's new pup, Oz - he was rescued from Spain, found as a stray, obviously in a bit of a mess when found - but that's about all we know. Son insists that the chewing and destructive tendancies are lessening - we go to meet him, next weekend (cold permitting!).

My IT issues with the laptop (she types with fingers crossed and hoping no gremlins are listening!) seem to be resolved. No idea how or why. The IT department couldn't help, kept insisting that it was down to my internet providers - internet providers don't answer the damn phone! Last night, OH said he would look at it, switched it on - and suddenly it connected to the internet, no problems. Lets hope it does the same when I need to use it next week.

Hugely busy week ahead, with 4 projects (3 new) starting, and another 2 new projects the week after. I also have a day in London (on my so called rest day) where a whole bunch of us are going to discus the issues with workloads, insufficient time allowed for the role, etc. Whether or not we are listened to remains to be seen. We have all raised these issues repeatedly with senior management - and the response has been for them to increase targets and add more work! Suspect thats going to be a very stressful day.

Fuerteventura seems a long way away already! I have managed to go through most of the pics and sort them, so I'll leave you with a few - Much love to everyone, as always xxxx

Beach near where we stayed (I want extra credit for avoiding getting any nudist's in the shot!)

0G8A1328.jpg

Typical view encountered on our explorations - such a beautiful place

0G8A1356.jpg

Oasis Park
0G8A1785.jpg

0G8A1905.jpg

0G8A2297.jpg

0G8A2355.jpg

View from the back of a camel!
0G8A2519.jpg

Betancuria
0G8A2734.jpg

0G8A2742.jpg

On Coralejo Beach
0G8A2917.jpg

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
In Gran Tarajal, a circus had set up on the beach, giving me the chance at a bit of street photography :)

0G8A2635.jpg

0G8A2638.jpg

I love that there is so much art work on the sides of buildings, especially in Gran Tarajal

0G8A3115.jpg

And - to finish - some chipmunks from our last day, which we spent in Caleta de Fuste

0G8A3403.jpg

0G8A3415.jpg

0G8A3493.jpg

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Morning all,

Ann, I'm sorry you are unwell again :( OH is also coughing and spluttering again (and wants the whole world to know ;)). I hope you are able to cope with the workload - the meeting sounds as if it could be 'interesting'! It could come down to you all getting together and refusing to take on the added workload (with a message to manager saying you have prioritised as you cannot possibly do everything asked of you in the hours you work).The problem is that, with so many people unemployed, employers take the attitude 'someone else will do it if you won't' :mad:

I'm very gad that MIL is still feisty, although it clearly makes things difficult for the staff at times!

Poor little grand-dog is still getting to know his new home - we don't even know whether he has ever lived in a house before - and it sounds as if he is responding well to consistent boundaries. Most dogs want to please us, after all.

More lovely photos, thank you! I particularly love the giraffe :D

I hope everyone else is well and has an enjoyable day.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Thanks, Slugsta and Ann.

I find it ‘interesting’ that you have to go to London to discuss workloads etc. I think that just shows they’re not taking any of you seriously. Dragging several of you to London! Your day off gone, will you ever get that back? Let alone the cost of several of you going that way. If the bosses came to you it would be a step forward in their understanding. What has changed since the last time several of you complained about exactly the same thing?

However, love the photos, especially, like Slugsta, the giraffe!

I’m out to have coffee with a friend in a bit, finding out all about her latest travels!

Have a good day, everyone!

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Spamar makes a good point. There was a previous meeting and managers took on board the fact that too much was being asked of people. Why are you in the same situation again? And why, as my esteemed colleague asks, are you having to travel in your own time for this meeting? Is anything actually going to change this time?

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Not as good photo as Ann can take, but the sun room and kitchen are climbing their final hurdle.

Only floor to sort for sun room

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grandaughtercare