So bizarre !

carolynp

Mar 4, 2018
Oh @Ann Mac thank you for the gorgeous bird photos! When I work out how to do it, I will try and post some of ours, mostly parrots but the occasional Pacific Black Duck. But meanwhile you've totally made my day. Thanks again.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Oh, Ann, I'd be cross, as well. You just rant away. Sorry you're feeling cross today and hope you can hav a quieter evening. Happy birthday to MIL!

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning all,

You'll be relieved to know I am over being cross today, lol! Dau is being very, very quite and definitely creeping still - I had to have a sneaky laugh to myself yesterday evening when she very obviously made a point of bringing down the towels after her bath. Maybe, just maybe the message is now starting to get through. I think it was the threat of us not paying for her phone - OH is the worlds best haggler, and had got her (and both of us) a great deal with a massive amount of monthly data, for a pretty good price, and for her to get the same deal for herself would cost her an absolute fortune. Like most teens, she lives with her phone glued to her hand, and the loss of having her calls and data paid for would really get to her - wish I'd thought of that one before! It also turns out that she had oredered a birthday present for Mil, it just hasn't arrived yet - which I was glad of, because it was really annoying me that they all seemed to have forgotten.

Spamar, thats good news about your step-granddaughter loving her course - as you say, long may it continue! Dau is swithering about what she wants to do in September and beyond. She has promised me she will go in and chat to an advisor at college, to try and come up with some sort of plan for herself - I do think, as I suspected would happen, and as many of you warned me, that the lure of working full time and the resultant money in her pocket is tempting her not to go back, though :( Your lunch out sounds delish - I especially like the sound of apple and cinnamon B&B pud !

Carolynp - thank you, glad you liked the pics - I would loove to see some of your photographs - nothing as exotic as you describe here, sadly! Where abouts are you that you get parrots visiting? This morning, the pair of wrens that I see a lot at the moment, have been darting about the garden, with courtship obviously in full swing - which means that they don't stop for a moment, and despite seeing them daily I have yet to get a photograph! I also spotted what I think was a fieldfare a couple of times yesterday, but its very skittish, and again, no chance of taking a pic yet.

Hi Amy - You travel back from NY today, don't you? Hope you have had a fabulous time - it certainly sounds like it from your thread :)

OH and I went to visit Mil yesterday, and I do love the effort that the CH make when its one of the residents birthdays. Not OTT, but balloons and 'Happy Birthday' banners in the main lounge, and although we took a cake for her, they had also made her a cake, in the shape of a love heart. Once again, she was in a lovely mood. She greeted us warmly, but she really didn't know who we were - she called OH by one of his cousins names, and at one point asked me had I seen Ann? The flowers were looked at briefly, and then ignored. She identified the nighty from the grandkids (I had bought her presents from them!) as a 'nice scarf', the DVD left her puzzled - not a clue what it was - PJ's were admired for a few seconds, but she adored the fluffy socks and - of course - the large chocolate birthday cake (I always buy a big cake so it can be shared). She couldn't open the cards, and needed guidence to work out how to take the presents from the gift bags, and once again, her speech was really bad - not sure she is actually saying anything, just random mumbles at times, with the odd repetiton very apparent. But, she was very jolly, and we got some clear sentances from her - she clapped with delight when we brought the lit cake in and sang 'Happy Birthday' to her :) She was adamant that it was her 28th or 29th birthday, and no one corrected her. I stayed for about an hour and a half, chatting with her and the staff (OH had to leave after an hour, to head to work) and again, a really nice visit, though at the end she threw me slightly by announcing that she was going home too - pretty easy to persuade her to wait till after lunch, thankfully.

I did manage to have a chat about the cushions. I explained that I didn't like to have to say anything, but that I was concerned that since we had bought them for her, we hadn't seen them being used on even one visit, and that we had seen her twice being given food and trying to eat in the semi prone position. I said I was concerned that she was giving up trying to eat on at least some occasions, because when she is half lying down, she just can't manage to feed herself, and that I wondered if the fact that she might be hungry could contribute to her melt downs. I also said I was worried about her choking, and about the possibility that she could slide right off the chair and injure herself. I spoke to the senior entertainment staff and one of the care staff, and they were so apologetic - they said that Mil using the cushions had been added to her care plan, and yes - that they should be used. They assured me that they would bring it up with the seniors and ask that it was mentioned at every hand over so that it was made clear to staff that they must be used. So, lets see if me saying something makes a difference.

It was also quite a sad visit in that we learnt that another one of the residents had passed away. The gentleman that I think I've mentioned, who wandered about thinking he was gardening, planting imaginary seedfs and sometimes mowing a lawn, using a wheeled zimmer, bless him. In the last 6 weeks, 11 have died, including sweet little D, who passed away just days before her 101st birthday. We have become so familiar with them all, and we often chat with the other residents, as well as MIl, so it's hard not to be sad when they die. The staff who told me was quite tearful - it's good to know that they care so much.

Right - two projects today, an art project with a group who have profound and multiple disabilities, and a photo project with a pre-college group who have learning disabilities - I'm taking the latter out around the town, to take images for an exhibition - going to be fun :D

have a good day, everyone xxxx

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Good morning! Yes, Ann, I know about unwrapping presents.
I always used to buy a Christmas present for the dog and wrap it loosely, so it was easy for him to open. He, well, both the dogs, loved it! However, never did I think there would come a time when I had to do the same for OH! One small piece of sellotape defeated him on his last Christmas!
Glad dau is co operating - for the moment!

My intention is to go into the big town in a moment, couple of things to sort before my few days off! Weather forecast is rain, every day! Still, that is only a forecast!
Very relieved that my cousin didn’t go anywhere playing that night the roads blocked - but only because he had a chest infection. Stuck in a snow jam is not something he would appreciate!
Cheers!

carolynp

Mar 4, 2018
With our beloved dog, who adored people food, when we had Kentucky Fried Chicken I would debone some and put it back in the box with the grease proof and some French fries for good measure. Then as she was a yard dog I would take it out and present it to her. Goodness she adored it even though OH always annoyed as he had to go round garden finding all the chewed cardboard bits!

carolynp

Mar 4, 2018
H
Morning all,

You'll be relieved to know I am over being cross today, lol! Dau is being very, very quite and definitely creeping still - I had to have a sneaky laugh to myself yesterday evening when she very obviously made a point of bringing down the towels after her bath. Maybe, just maybe the message is now starting to get through. I think it was the threat of us not paying for her phone - OH is the worlds best haggler, and had got her (and both of us) a great deal with a massive amount of monthly data, for a pretty good price, and for her to get the same deal for herself would cost her an absolute fortune. Like most teens, she lives with her phone glued to her hand, and the loss of having her calls and data paid for would really get to her - wish I'd thought of that one before! It also turns out that she had oredered a birthday present for Mil, it just hasn't arrived yet - which I was glad of, because it was really annoying me that they all seemed to have forgotten.

Spamar, thats good news about your step-granddaughter loving her course - as you say, long may it continue! Dau is swithering about what she wants to do in September and beyond. She has promised me she will go in and chat to an advisor at college, to try and come up with some sort of plan for herself - I do think, as I suspected would happen, and as many of you warned me, that the lure of working full time and the resultant money in her pocket is tempting her not to go back, though :( Your lunch out sounds delish - I especially like the sound of apple and cinnamon B&B pud !

Carolynp - thank you, glad you liked the pics - I would loove to see some of your photographs - nothing as exotic as you describe here, sadly! Where abouts are you that you get parrots visiting? This morning, the pair of wrens that I see a lot at the moment, have been darting about the garden, with courtship obviously in full swing - which means that they don't stop for a moment, and despite seeing them daily I have yet to get a photograph! I also spotted what I think was a fieldfare a couple of times yesterday, but its very skittish, and again, no chance of taking a pic yet.

Hi Amy - You travel back from NY today, don't you? Hope you have had a fabulous time - it certainly sounds like it from your thread :)

OH and I went to visit Mil yesterday, and I do love the effort that the CH make when its one of the residents birthdays. Not OTT, but balloons and 'Happy Birthday' banners in the main lounge, and although we took a cake for her, they had also made her a cake, in the shape of a love heart. Once again, she was in a lovely mood. She greeted us warmly, but she really didn't know who we were - she called OH by one of his cousins names, and at one point asked me had I seen Ann? The flowers were looked at briefly, and then ignored. She identified the nighty from the grandkids (I had bought her presents from them!) as a 'nice scarf', the DVD left her puzzled - not a clue what it was - PJ's were admired for a few seconds, but she adored the fluffy socks and - of course - the large chocolate birthday cake (I always buy a big cake so it can be shared). She couldn't open the cards, and needed guidence to work out how to take the presents from the gift bags, and once again, her speech was really bad - not sure she is actually saying anything, just random mumbles at times, with the odd repetiton very apparent. But, she was very jolly, and we got some clear sentances from her - she clapped with delight when we brought the lit cake in and sang 'Happy Birthday' to her :) She was adamant that it was her 28th or 29th birthday, and no one corrected her. I stayed for about an hour and a half, chatting with her and the staff (OH had to leave after an hour, to head to work) and again, a really nice visit, though at the end she threw me slightly by announcing that she was going home too - pretty easy to persuade her to wait till after lunch, thankfully.

I did manage to have a chat about the cushions. I explained that I didn't like to have to say anything, but that I was concerned that since we had bought them for her, we hadn't seen them being used on even one visit, and that we had seen her twice being given food and trying to eat in the semi prone position. I said I was concerned that she was giving up trying to eat on at least some occasions, because when she is half lying down, she just can't manage to feed herself, and that I wondered if the fact that she might be hungry could contribute to her melt downs. I also said I was worried about her choking, and about the possibility that she could slide right off the chair and injure herself. I spoke to the senior entertainment staff and one of the care staff, and they were so apologetic - they said that Mil using the cushions had been added to her care plan, and yes - that they should be used. They assured me that they would bring it up with the seniors and ask that it was mentioned at every hand over so that it was made clear to staff that they must be used. So, lets see if me saying something makes a difference.

It was also quite a sad visit in that we learnt that another one of the residents had passed away. The gentleman that I think I've mentioned, who wandered about thinking he was gardening, planting imaginary seedfs and sometimes mowing a lawn, using a wheeled zimmer, bless him. In the last 6 weeks, 11 have died, including sweet little D, who passed away just days before her 101st birthday. We have become so familiar with them all, and we often chat with the other residents, as well as MIl, so it's hard not to be sad when they die. The staff who told me was quite tearful - it's good to know that they care so much.

Right - two projects today, an art project with a group who have profound and multiple disabilities, and a photo project with a pre-college group who have learning disabilities - I'm taking the latter out around the town, to take images for an exhibition - going to be fun :D

have a good day, everyone xxxx
Hi @Ann Mac I loved the robin best of all! And so much snow making such a beautiful contrast, especially when it’s nearly 100 deg here today. I am in Western Australia with wonderful parrots. I tried last night to upload some photos but couldn’t quite work it out. Will have another go when we get back from Sydney. We are going so OH can see our son’s new house in good time, while still able to take it in. We hope. Anyway: Leaving 8 am tomorrow. Have read up on flying with someone who has dementia. Well we’ll see! Expect a bulletin or two though not I fear of @Amy in the US’s standard!

carolynp

Mar 4, 2018
Forest Red Tailed Black Cockatoos..jpg Kookaburra on our clothesline..jpg Rainbow Lorikeet baby being fed by mother..jpg Rainbow Lorikeets eating Robinia flowers..jpg Ring neck parrot eating pomegranate..jpg Hi @AnnMac I've tried again, these are thumbnails because I couldn't get the full images to load. Can you enlarge them? If not I'll do them again after return from Sydney. Not all in our garden at once, though! These were taken over the last two years and the black parrots are a steal from our neighbour's tree. Hope you like them. Carolyn in WA.

carolynp

Mar 4, 2018
I'm not sure the captions have come through though. So in the above post, from left to right, we have: (1) Forest Red Tailed Black Cockatoos (2) Kookaburra on our clothesline (probably a juvenile) (3) Rainbow Lorikeet baby being fed by mother (4) Rainbow Lorikeets eating Robinia tree flowers (5) Ring Necked Parrot eating pomegranate. Phew. Hope they've come through. Back to packing with recalcitrant OH!!!

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Lovely photographs, Carolyn!
Got just under half way to my first intended destination and stopped. Just couldn’t do it!
There was a handy cafe, two in fact, though one I don’t like, and the other I like a lot! So had a slice of traybake, pistachio, courgette and lemon flavour. Just simply gorgeous!
Came home, made a couple of phone calls and am sitting with iPad. Going to see a friend this afternoon, hoping she will talk sense to me.
Still itching a bit. I’ve found normal paracetamol and a codeine in the morning and one no more than an hour before bed seems to work at the moment. Still shoving sudocreme on spots, thought they looked worse this morning ☹️☹️. But the ones I can reach are better than the ones I can’t reach! It’s 5 weeks today that the rib ache started, five weeks next Sunday since the rash appeared. Time it was gone!
Cheers

carolynp

Mar 4, 2018
Lovely photographs, Carolyn!
Got just under half way to my first intended destination and stopped. Just couldn’t do it!
There was a handy cafe, two in fact, though one I don’t like, and the other I like a lot! So had a slice of traybake, pistachio, courgette and lemon flavour. Just simply gorgeous!
Came home, made a couple of phone calls and am sitting with iPad. Going to see a friend this afternoon, hoping she will talk sense to me.
Still itching a bit. I’ve found normal paracetamol and a codeine in the morning and one no more than an hour before bed seems to work at the moment. Still shoving sudocreme on spots, thought they looked worse this morning ☹️☹️. But the ones I can reach are better than the ones I can’t reach! It’s 5 weeks today that the rib ache started, five weeks next Sunday since the rash appeared. Time it was gone!
Cheers
Hello @Spamar glad you like photos! I’m pleased you didn’t keep on when you didn’t feel up to it and were rewarded by deliciousness in cafe! My OH had same and got about halfway better but second half of recovery was slower than first. So be patient if you possibly can. It sounds as if you are Resigned, more or less! And being Sensible about it all. I just want to apologise for not having responded in detail to your long post at my request. I’ve been so caught up with getting ready for trip and not strangling OH has taken real effort. Hope to catch up properly on my return. Meanwhile keep on pacing yourself, you are sounding better actually. C. xxx

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Don’t worry about it, Carolyn. I do tend to go on a bit on occasion!
Resigned to it, it’s time for symptoms to cease. I have enough with arthritis!
Have a good trip!

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
Hi all. Just back from hols and haven't managed to catch up but just wanted to check you're all okay. Two photos to show in a nutshell what I've been doing:
Blue whale:
DSC05045.jpg

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning all,

Lucky you with those gorgeous birds, Carol - especially love the Kookaburra, even though I now have the song "Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree" now buzzing round my head :D Thank you for sharing them - wish I had such a gorgeous selection to photograph !

Red, sat here green with envy - how fabulous! I was lucky enough to see and photograph pilot Wales, a few weeks back - but blue and grey whales - WOW! And being able to touch that baby - I would be on such a high for weeks after an experience like that! Fabulous photo's too x

5 weeks must feel like an eternity, Spamar, especially when you are still so drained and still having discomfort from the itching, but from everything I know about shingles, it does seem to take an awful long time to get over it. Crossing everything that your recovery speeds up for you, and in the meantime, good for you, opting for cake over pushing yourself too hard x Hope you manages to make the visit to your friend in the afternoon though x

To make a nice change from my usual moans about work, I had such a lovely day yesterday, with my two groups. In my first group, one of the young people who is very severely disabled and who, though lovely, takes their time to interact with new people, suddenly decided that I am OK, and spent the whole session touching my hand, and even grabbing at me to pull me in for hugs, and giving me the most amazing smiles. It doesn't sound much, I know, but it was a real breakthough, and I was so pleased :D In the afternoon session I have a lovely group, but a few have problems which mean that I have to work really hard to get them to join in and take part. One young person, who is electively mute with most people, is especially difficult. Yesterday I somehow stumbled on saying the right thing whilst trying to get him to just turn on the camera (we are doing a photography project), and all of a sudden he was taking loads of pictures, getting involved and enjoying it - and actually talking to me. At the same time, a young person with autism, who also isolates themself and won't join in, also for the first time started to get involved, was taking pics and they were clearly enjoying it too. On top of that, another young person who tends to spend a lot of time telling me that they are 'useless and no good' at 'doing things', shyly came up to me and told me that they had been 'practising taking pictures', with their phone - they were so proud of themselves, and actually admitted that they thought they were 'quite good' at photography, with a big smile on their face. So I got home yesterday and felt 10 feet tall :) Its so good to have such a positive day to remind me why I really do love my job, a lot of the time!

Had a really bad night with pain, unfortunately - gave up trying to sleep upstairs, and as OH has a long shift today, with an early start, rather than disturb him, I headed downstairs, where I eventually dozed off for 3 hours on the sofa. At the moment, the pain sems to be worst in my back, right hip and left shoulder - which makes finding a comfortable position to sleep in pretty much impossible. I took an extra two painkillers (not over my maximum dosage though) used green lipped mussel gel (which if the most effective pain relief cream I've found), lush 'sleepy' body cream, hot water bottle and I had also had a sauna before bed, but last night was just one of those times when the pain flared and nothing worked. Shoulder and back still achey now, and my intention is to try and keep busy today, no catch up naps, in the hope of sleeping better tonight.

Day off today, so catch up on the domestic front, and maybe out this afternoon with dogs and camera for an hour or so.

Hope you all have a good day xxxxx

Last edited:

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Morfernoon all (depends how long it takes me to type this :D ),

Ann, I'm so glad that MIL had a good birthday and has been on top form when you have visited :) I really hope your quiet word about the cushions bears fruit.

It seems that you might have found a way of 'encouraging' your youngest to keep her room reasonable. How are you going to enforce the 'no more than 4 towels' rule - does she just go and help herself when she needs one?

I didn't realise that you have your very own sauna! What a shame that it doesn't seem to help your pain much.

It sounds perfectly reasonable to be upset because OH wouldn't let you offload about your work, even though you had just listened to him! :( I know that many male brains want to try and 'fix' things and don't recognise the value of simply talking about what is bothering us. Hence they don't want to hear if they cannot offer a 'solution' - or if you don't take the action they think you should. Hence many conversations, world-wide, that go along the lines of ' Either leave or stop 'going on' about it'! BFF and I both have the tendency to want to 'fix' things, we have learned to ask each other 'Do you want me to try and offer suggestions, or just listen?'.

Some of you got hit with a lot of snow again, it seems. We had quite a heavy snowfall on Saturday but it didn't start sticking until the temp fell, late in the day. So we had a bit on Sunday morning but not enough to cause disruption - thank goodness! Amy is currently stuck in New York as there are no flights out.

Sam has said that there is a third 'Beast from the East' on its way soon :(

Spamar, I'm glad you stopped when you were tired. Please try to be patient with yourself, it will take you some time to really recover from this (((hugs))).

Red, I am dead jealous! How wonderful to touch a wild whale like that :)

Hope everyone else is as well as possible.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
I’m jealous, too, Red!

Just come home and there’s a gaggle of police at the bottom of the road. Why? Perhaps they’re going to nab all those badly parked parents picking up kids, who neither know how to drive, how to park, nor the rules of the road!

New system at the gps to be introduced next month. If you want to see a gp, you have to phone and go through triage. It’s bad enough at 08:00 already. You cannot pre- book an appt - hows that going to work?.
Dont know why they don’t go back to the old ways, just sit and wait! But the waiting room isn’t big enough for that......
Progress?

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Lovely to read that you got such positive feedback from the kids you work with Ann. Hopefully you will also get positive feedback from darlink daughter xx

Getting it off my chest/feeling sorry for me,dau2,granddaughter moment.....

granddaughter woke Monday am with eye that looked like she had done 15 rounds of boxing..... and lost

Dau2 took her to gp. Gp prescribed cream stuff for a stye. Granddaughter goes to nursery Tuesday.... dau gets phone call to say granddaughter keeps falling over and is very sleepy and has a headache.... cue another gp visit.... cue hospital admission.

Granddaughter has been diagnosed with periorbital cellulitis in her left eye. Stay over for one night for IV anti bios turned into 2 nights as other eye flares up

I rushed from here to there making a 1.5hr journey take 1hr to take charge of 18mnth grandson as dad was in Spain for work.... or rather for grandson to take charge of me. Dau2 very stressed so not easy to have general chats with.....

Trying to make this long story short/shorter..... I left the hospital with dau2 n granddaughter at 12 noon today. Eyes not fully recovered but well on the way..... They went home, I came home

The usual 1.5hr journey home met with slow 40mph lorry on single road for 40+ min and then joy of joys...... 2+ hrs stuck on M6 due to a lorry fire....

I got home at 5pm

1J did the “whilst cats away, I play” in the attic eaves.... not done himself any favours, he’s banned from attic eaves due to his weak lungs and the dust up there.... he’s suffering now....

There. Feel better. Pity party over

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Oh - 2Jays, what a busy! few days.

Hope everyone is OK now with no lasting effects on granddau hope you enjoyed grandson a little bit, and sorry about slow lorry, I guess dau2 being stressed was back to the land of teenagers, and no offence to anyone but the general comment in work about 1J would be MEN!

I will try and do an update, but having teenage problems, different ones to Ann's although end result is stropping and speaking to us in a horrid way.