So bizarre !

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
I was glad OH was only in a home 14 weeks. I was quite distressed. And I let him have antibiotics with the first chest infection. To be fair, it was only 3 weeks after he went in. He went in cos he was falling a lot, and had lots of Tia’s. Chest infection didn’t enter into it.
One can only hope that several pharmaceutical firms are working on the problem, but I doubt it. Plus there are many different types, it may be that there is no overall cure.
It makes me mad as well, 2 Jays. If I was diagnosed with it, I really don’t know what I would do.
Back to my first g&t of the day! Kids coming soon, and I can’t do any more! They’re have to deal with being slightly squashed with the normal oilcloth!

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
I was glad OH was only in a home 14 weeks. I was quite distressed. And I let him have antibiotics with the first chest infection. To be fair, it was only 3 weeks after he went in. He went in cos he was falling a lot, and had lots of Tia’s. Chest infection didn’t enter into it.
One can only hope that several pharmaceutical firms are working on the problem, but I doubt it. Plus there are many different types, it may be that there is no overall cure.
It makes me mad as well, 2 Jays. If I was diagnosed with it, I really don’t know what I would do.
Back to my first g&t of the day! Kids coming soon, and I can’t do any more! They’re have to deal with being slightly squashed with the normal oilcloth!
I’m all for squashing a family with a normal oil cloth. I LOVE these old family traditions!!!

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Afternoon all,

Spamar, I hope that your family gathering has gone well.

I do agree with you all about our inability to end suffering. As you know, Mum was 'actively dying' for 19 days. Even when the syringe driver did get set up, it was such a small dose that it did nothing to move the situation on. Of course, everyone is soooo careful in these 'post Shipman' days but there is a huge difference between ending life prematurely and speeding up the natural process :(

Today I heard that the husband of one of my aquagym friends has died. He had vascular dementia and I spoke to his wife just a few weeks ago. She said she envied me because Mum's suffering had ended but hers and her husband's was continuing. I am glad that his is over now but know that won't necessarily make the next few weeks/months/years easier for her :(

It has finally stopped raining here and is cooler than it was but the temperature is not expected to drop below 0C even overnight. I am perfectly content with our lack of snow!

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Post Shipman has a lot to answer for. A great friend of mine had cancer. It was a long time in diagnosis, and it had spread widely. They gave him morphine once every 4 hours to kill the pain. Unfortunately the pain killing effects only lasted 3 hrs. So 25% of his time he was in excruciating pain. He died nearly 4 years ago and his wife can barely conceal her fury about the situation even now.
Would anyone want that?

Yes, party over. I’m afraid stepdau did most of the work, though I’m proud to say I peeled the parsnips! My veg peeler has gone awol, so a good grips one is already on the shopping list. Then one dog was sick just before everybody left! In the haste, stepson left his books behind, so came back to pick them up!
Now dishwasher is on and it’s much quieter! Still got table to tidy and reduce to its normal size, but no hurry! My biggest mistake was forgetting to ask someone to bring my jigsaw board back in, complete with part finished puzzle! It’s smack in the middle of my bed!

Hope you all had a good Thursday, now looking forward to weekend.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Good morning!
Well, if you like rain, it’s good. Just hammering it down at the moment, and scheduled to last all morning. Think I shall stay in! Give me time to clear and tidy up after yesterday! Empty dishwasher, for a start. I have so much milk, I could bathe in it! Always get something wrong!
Hope everybody has had a scintillating Christmas, with lots of nice presents and no teenage meltdowns!
Half the family had incipient colds, so am hoping I will escape! Not what I want just now.
Cheers!

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning everyone,

Amy - so glad you had a nice Christmas, though sorry that the visit to the CH sounds as though it ws difficult. Left over mincemeat here goes into fruit cakes - gives them a lovely rich flavour, and makes them very moist. I substitute some of the fruit in my Christmas cake for mincemeat and orange marmalade every year and although sweet stuff is not my forte when it comes to cooking, the Christmas cake is always, always delicious. Mind you, I also feed it enough brandy that it turns out to be a 'don't eat and drive' cake too :oops:

Slugsta, glad you got through Christmas OK , I was thinking about you. I guess the grief will come when it comes - it's such an individual process for everyone, just remember that everyone is here for you if and when you need us xxxx

Spamar, had to chuckle at the 'squashing a family with the normal oilcloth' too :D Glad your meal went well - yesterday I cooked the 3rd big roast meal of the season (so far) as I had all the kids and both of the oldest's partners here (though sadly not OH - his last shift in a run of 7, yesterday). Just 6 of us round the table, and (with all the meat eaters fed up of turkey) I slow roasted lamb with onions and rosemary, once again faffed about with the 3 times cooked roast veg, and made the tiger bread stuffing that my gang love. It was hard work - but worth it, as every bit vanished and it was clearly enjoyed :) Son and his GF had to go home last night (OH took them when he finished work) along with Patch my granddog and Bert, my grand tortoise - still got oldest dau and her partner here, but the house does feel very quiet now - it was lovely having the whole gang here, even for a short time.

JM - I'm sure you have had a busy Christmas, but hope its been a nice one too x

The weather here has been horrible! On Wednesday we had a day of mixed rain, sleet, hail and snow. I slept very badly that night and at 3a.m., I was sat downstairs listening to the hail simply pound down - I have no idea how the rest of the family slept through it! By 6a.m, a mix of the hail and snow had frozen solid, turning everywhere glistening white - and the roads into ice rinks! Yesterday afternoon, we had heavy snow for about an hour - but then it turned to sleet and rain, and that has continues off and on since - this morning, another brief heavy snow, but then heavy rain again, and currently, heavy sleet. It is bitterly cold - I am very glad that today, I do not have to go anywhere.

2jays - I've joined the jay club - for the first time ever, on Boxing day, a jay visited (very briefly) my bird table! Youngest spotted it first, oldest mistakenly thought it was a woodpecker (heaven knows why) and yelled for me - and I just got enough of a glimpse to identify it before it flew off - no chance of a photo, just hoping it comes back! Such pretty birds.

I make the same comparison in my head as Amethyst, so many times, when I see Mil. We wouldn't let an animal suffer as she is doing. It's just so cruel. I don't mean physical suffering, in her case, but the mental torture that poor woman has and is going through is obscene. To live at least part and sometimes all of everyday in a state of extreme paranoia and anger - and sometimes fear - is horrific. And though common sense tells me that at this stage it doesn't matter to her, I can't help but think about how the pre-dementia Mil would feel about the indignities that dementia has piled on her - it is totally heartbreaking to walk into the CH and see my once capable and smart Mil, with food spilled down her top, eating often with her fingers, dentures missing and the top of her incontinence pants clearly visable at her waistband. She looks pitiful and I know she would have been horrified to think that she would end up like that :(

When I was talking to S, on Boxing day, I asked where would Mil go if - God forbid - they couldn't keep her at the CH? If she did become so aggressive that she was putting the other residents at risk? S shook her head and said that there wasn't anywhere. There are no homes who deal with that level of challenging and aggressive behaviour. In my head, I guessed that would mean a return to the secure dementia ward at the hospital - and the thought of Mil ending her days there (and because sh is physically quite well and fit, despite everything, it could be an awful lot of days) is just too horrible to contemplate.

So, although the GM keeps digging at me, the sensible part of me thinks that as Red said, it is more compassionate to hope for a deterioration that would put paid to the prospect of Mil ending up in a secure ward for whats left of her life. I know it would be heartbreaking to see her perhaps bed bound, perhaps with no speech, and perhaps not eating - but I also know, being honest, that it will bring release from this horrible illness closer for her, because at that stage we will definitely say no to any intervention like antibiotics, which is something that wouldn't even be considered now, whilst she is at her current stage, no matter that perhaps most would feel it would be kinder not to interfere.

Dementia is a terminal illness, and poor Mil has now spent nearly 10 years, since diagnosis, in its grip. Even in the early days, she had the paranoia and was constantly miserable and mentally tortured by it. 10 years of suffering, and possibly another 3 - 5 years before that too, where it impacted negatively on her even before she was diagnosed. The poor woman has been through enough. I just wish our society was compassionate enough to face that.

Right - off my soapbox! A quick tidy round, a shower and then a chilled day. Oldest is taking over hte kitchen tonight, to make a Thai curry ( a lovely change from roasts!), and I have several new books that I want to get stuck into - a day of the sofa, chilling beckons :)

Much love to all, as always xxxx

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Ooh, a day on the sofa? With new books? Can I sneak in the other end. I won’t talk, if you don’t. I (pity party coming up) cannot imagine a time in the near future when I will ever be able to plan having a day on a sofa reading books. Not one that doesn’t start with a ‘guide to shaving’ or end with ‘pants off, then pyjama trousers on. Oh, no! Hush my mouth. When our new lady starts I WILL have Thursday! I will wake up all alone, and go to bed all alone!!!
Meanwhile, sorry for the post hijack...and enjoy your day x

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Evening all,

Amethyst, I am sorry that you are not able to get any time to yourself. Having to constantly be 'on duty' must so so exhausting, mentally and physically (((hugs)))

Spamar, I do hope the family did not leave any of their nasty germs behind!

Ann, it must be heart-breaking to see MIL in such a state and to witness her distress :( I join you in hoping that her dementia progresses in such a way that she is spared the anger, paranoia etc and can live out her days where she is now.

I do hope you managed to get that time with your book (((hugs)))

I drove hubby to Tesco this morning, popped off to run an errand and then returned to Tesco to await hubby in the coffee shop. I decided to treat myself to a 'luxury' hot chocolate and was shedding a few tears when hubby found me. He was completely baffled about why I might be crying . . .

We had a lot of very heavy rain here this morning and also a very heavy hail storm. No snow and no below 0 temperatures, thankfully.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
@Slugsta, we know why you might have been shedding a few tears into your hot chocolate at the cafe at Tesco. (((((hugs)))))

Weather here has been grey and gray and bleahhhhh all day. A few snowflakes but only because it's too cold for rain. Not uplifting weather!

Ann, I'm glad someone else did the cooking last night and hope the curry was lovely, and that there was time for the sofa, the books, and relaxing.

DollyBird16

Sep 5, 2017
Greater London
Thank you Amy and Amethyst. My hubby has the emotional IQ of a backward gnat, so I didn't really expect anything else from him.

Aw @Slugsta i can only imagine how you are feeling, gentle hugs for you, hope it helps.
Yep got one of those gnats too. I love that description.
My gnat asked for a hanger for his shirt as the ambulance was leaving to take Mum to the hospital!!!! Really.
Then tells me a day later he is too tired and traumatised to do anything. Maybe I am superwoman after all, cos I had to get on with it all 3 hours sleep in 48 hours, and look after Mum and the other gnat Dad. X

Take care of you, my book clearly says it’s ok to be sad, it shows we care and love. X

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
I think you are all being jolly unfair to gnats. They are loving, and faithful. How many times have you tried to swat one away, but it keeps coming back? How many times have you had one gently nibbling your ear at night and just not taking ‘no’ for an answer? It does annoy me when people misinterpret the genuine emotions felt by these little creatures.

DollyBird16

Sep 5, 2017
Greater London
I think you are all being jolly unfair to gnats. They are loving, and faithful. How many times have you tried to swat one away, but it keeps coming back? How many times have you had one gently nibbling your ear at night and just not taking ‘no’ for an answer? It does annoy me when people misinterpret the genuine emotions felt by these little creatures.

Brilliant X

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning all,

Ooh, a day on the sofa? With new books? Can I sneak in the other end. I won’t talk, if you don’t. I (pity party coming up) cannot imagine a time in the near future when I will ever be able to plan having a day on a sofa reading books. Not one that doesn’t start with a ‘guide to shaving’ or end with ‘pants off, then pyjama trousers on. Oh, no! Hush my mouth. When our new lady starts I WILL have Thursday! I will wake up all alone, and go to bed all alone!!!
Meanwhile, sorry for the post hijack...and enjoy your day x

Oh, Amethyst - I do feel for you! Reading is one of my greatest pleasures and your post brought back memories of when Mil lived here and it was just impossible to have 2 minutes peace to read even a line or two, never mind devour a whole chapter. Roll on the new lady and the Thursdays, when I hope you will be able to curl up on the sofa and escape into a good read xxx

{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}} Slugsta xxx I too get the reason for the tears. Love the gnat description, I have one of those too, so I feel for you and Dollybird. Sometimes, they just don't get it, do they?

Amy, I did curl up on the sofa, with coffee and chocolate biscuits close by, new book loaded on my new kindle - and fell asleep within 5 minutes, not waking till OH and rest of family came back from their shopping expedition! However, I did manage an hour with my book, after tea (which was really delicious, btw) and it was lovely :) We also have horrible weather here, with yesterday being full of rain, hail, sleet and snow showers. This morning, it seems to be just heavy rain - which on the bright side, will at least hopefully make the roads a lot less slippery to drive on!

We had a phone call from the home to tell us that Mil has a nasty skin tear, though no one is quite sure how she got it - and Mil's explanation of course, changes with every telling of the tale. She could have caught herself on something, she could have done it to herself in frustration, or she could have had a little altercation with one of the other residents - her skin is so fragile that it happens very easily, though it must be a fairly bad one for them to ring. Oldest's other half is heading back home later today, and I think we are spending this morning at The Grosvenor Garden centre, so I won't get chance to visit Mil and check it out for myself till tomorrow - no point going this afternoon, when sundowning usually kicks in and our presence inevitably winds her up even more, sadly.

@2jays - our jay came back yesterday - again, a very, very brief visit, but I spotted him (or her) swoop onto the table and then shoot off again. I had a bit of a brain wiggle, about setting up some sort of hide at the end of the decking outside my patio door - a lot of the birds (though not the robin and definitely not the starlings ) are obviously really skitty when I am out there, and making any movement (like lifting my camera) sends a lot of them flying off . I tend to sit just outside the doors, with my camera - and I could do with being a bit closer. A hide/screen of some sort, with a peep hole for the lens, at the end of the decking will hopefully get around those problems, bringing me nearer to the birds, hiding any camera movement and let me get some better shots. I also had a hunt for a longer zoom lens - hoping for a Christmas miracle that would let me find a bargain - but no such luck. I will have to do some serious savings if I want a decent 400mm-600mm lens, as the cheapest I can find (second hand!) is around £1000 - which is more than a little out of my reach at the moment!

We are heading for a very quiet New Year, I think, with son back in Preston, and oldest probably out with some of her friends. I plan to do a nice meal on New Years day, though, when I'll have both girls and OH here, so it's not so bad :)

Hope you all have a peaceful and happy New Year - take care everyone xxxx

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Well, just had a good giggle at the gnat. Unfortunately my gnat tuned into a gnat with dementia. Leave you to work out the implications!
Just had a really early night, I was so tired. I slept, then woke up in the middle of a nightmare, covered in sweat. Finally settled down and slept the rest of the night. I can understand being tired on Thursday night, but last night? Hope it’s not a forerunner of the kids cold!
Today will finally get out and hit the supermarket, though I don’t want an awful lot. My stepdau was very scathing about my veg peeler ( it’s only about 30 + years old) it’s been thrown away! Told her I haven’t peeled veg for ages, though I did do the parsnips on Thursday. Took me ages and hand was aching. So good grips, here I come.
Hope mil is a little better when you manage to see her, Ann.
I had one of those chocolate plus everything the other day. The following one of the other customers asked if I was going to have another one, I said no, it was because I was feeling bad ( missing my gnat, I think). She said she could hardly bear to see me drink/eat it! There’s a large number of regulars at that cafe, and we all know another now!
Must go and dress, hope everybody else is OK, will try and look in later.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
It’s been such a busy time @Spamar, let’s hope it is just that making you tired...and not a cold coming. Did you know she was throwing the peeler away? That would annoy me intensely, but as it seems you need a new one anyway ....