So bizarre !

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Hi Canary,
Like the charity shop idea!
Don’t think OH was helping himself. He was only there 15 weeks. A year before he had had vascular surgery on one leg, and he never walked that well after that, but at least it got rid of the pain.
In fact, if I couldn’t have used a wheelchair, we would never have got him from car to home ( or to consultant the previous week). Fortunately I had one of his carers with me on both occasions.
Like Ann, I did hate to see him in the ‘wrong’ clothes.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Canary, that's a fascinating story. It makes perfect sense, too. I know my mother and her best friend, Miss T, must do something similar as I find Miss T's clothes in my mother's wardrobe all the time. She will often go into my mother's wardrobe for a jumper or jacket if she is cold, and she is always cold (they keep the heat on full blast and it's like a sauna in there-so glad I'm not paying the heating bills). She spends so much time in my mother's room it's no wonder she thinks those clothes are hers, and they are about the same size. It startled me at first but it's not worth fussing over.

Having said that, I definitely relate to everything Ann said in her first paragraph. My mother was always so particular about being well dressed and nicely turned out. She never went without makeup-she was scarred on her face as a young woman by burns from an accident and was so self conscious about it, although it's no longer noticeable. And although I don't know why, she was also particular about never wearing nail polish, not ever. And the care home are forever giving manicures. It's so startling to see her with nail polish on. I was going to forbid it, but the staff member who does the manicures is really lovely and affectionate and Miss T gets her nails done, so it seemed cruel to say no. I know we have to meet their needs for who they are and how they are now, not how they were, but it is hard to do sometimes, for me, anyway.

Thanks for all the kind wishes. MIL arrives very late tonight and we will see what happens! It could be a Thanksgiving miracle. I'm open to something positive. OH is having a good time with his family and is very relaxed. Watch this space.

We really are having a nice visit. I'm feeling a bit ashamed that we've not made the effort to visit before, but that sort of thinking gets me nowhere good, and we are here now, so I am doing my best to banish it. Other than missing my own family and missing the absent family members (which I am quite badly st times), I'm having a great time.

We just missed the fall color here but you can still see how beautiful it would have been. I know Ann would love to take photos, lots of photos! My SIL is a photographer and I bet they could talk shop all day.

The kids are mostly delightful and the chaos is manageable. One dog (not the beagle I traveled with last summer, he's a sweetie) has a serious anxiety problem and needs to stop barking, but he is getting used to us.

Last night we were privileged to be invited to attend the festivities for eldest nephew's birthday (17 last week). It was dinner out and one of those escape room things. I don't know if you have them in the UK/Ireland but they are trendy here. It's a locked room with some sort of scenario for background and you have to solve puzzles and crack codes to open the (many) locks on the door. You're not actually locked in, you just pretend, and this one wasn't scary or anything (to my relief). There is a time limit and of course the nephew wanted desperately to win and best the clock. We just managed it and it was good fun and his three friends were nice young men, so a good result all round.

I also had a nice afternoon doing Thanksgiving errands and having lunch out with my SIL and eldest niece yesterday. (The ones I went to New York City with earlier this year). This niece is extra delightful and it was very pleasant.

The weather here is milder than what I would get at home-no coat required at the end of November? Sunshine and deep blue skies? At home it's mostly grey and ugh, so this is great and I'll take it.

Basically, so far it's like a holiday, but we will see what happens tomorrow when MIL is here and we start seriously preparing for the big holiday meal. MIL can be easygoing, or she can turn the simplest of tasks into something hideously unpleasant. As it's not her house, I'm hoping for the best. However, I have a sufficiently ample supply of alcohol just in case. We brought our own.

Fun fact: this was a dry county until only 2 years ago. Do you even have that in the UK/Ireland? I should hope not. "Dry" in this context means that alcohol sales are forbidden by law. (A county is a smaller geographical division of a state in the US, and each larger state has many. Each county can make its own legislation about certain things, like alcohol sales, while still conforming to state and federal law.). No booze of any sort in bars, pubs, restaurants, or shops. Not even liqueur filled chocolate. I'm not joking!

Sorry for all the rambling but I thought you might find it interesting. Apologies to Ann for well and truly sending her thread on a tangent. I'm sitting with the heating pad on my back (which is holding up as long as I'm careful), OH is still asleep, and so I have turned to TP for entertainment. I do need to get moving so more later.

Love to everyone and thanks for listening!

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
I’m always interested in your chat, Amy. I think we’ve all hijacked Ann’s thread at one time or another!
I’m amazed that a county can be dry! I don’t think there’s anything like it here. I do remember when parts of Wales shut down completely on a Sunday. I was staying in a pub in Bangor at the time and no meals after breakfast! Fortunately I went walking, not much else to do, and found a cafe open in Beaumaris, I think it was. This was about 50 years ago!
Not like that now, I’m told.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Quick comment:

We do have escape rooms here, son has been whilst on Scout camp

I think some areas of Wales were dry until recently, or maybe just on a Sunday. Mr google has informed me only sundays and repealed from 61 onwards, last area was Gwynedd in 1996 so that is why I was aware of it - although I think lots of pubs followed the tradition for longer than the law. When I was at uni one of the halls was dry as it was on land formerly owned by the Cadbury family (near Bournville) and they were Quakers so there was a covenant on it that no alcohol could be sold.

Niece and nephew grew up in San Francisco, and alcohol seems to quite frowned upon in the circles they moved in, his friends weren't allowed to his house as his parents were quite relaxed about it (in moderation). They said it was more acceptable to have weed than alcohol.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
I think it was early 1967. I seem to remember watching Goal, the film of the England victory in the 1966 World Cup. Was more interested in football in those days. So the cinema was open, anyway!

Yes, there’s an area in Plymouth, Freedom Fields I think, that was donated for building houses and a hospital. But no alcohol to be sold. I guess they were quakers as well. Haven’t been there since 1980, still a good while ago.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Afternoon all,

My apologies for not posting for a few days :oops:

Ann, I'm glad you had such a lovely holiday. Hope this week is not as hectic as you feared.

Amy, thanks for the explanation about the area you are visiting, it is always interesting to hear bout different customs. I do hope that things have remained pleasant now that MIL has arrived.

Jm, sorry to hear that you are still having dental problems :(

Spamar, the Gareth Malone concert sounds fun, I didn't even realise he was doing anything like that.

It is interesting to hear what people are doing to help the homeless at Christmas. Hubby and I went to help at the local shelter one year - but got a phone call from my mother summoning us back 'because we were spoiling Christmas for everyone else' (this was typical behaviour from her, long before the dementia :( ). These days I usually assuage my conscience by donating to 'Crisis' but I do buy something like warm socks for one of the young men I chat to in our car park - he cannot get a shelter place because he will not part with his beloved dog.

I'm doing OK here, it almost seems as if the arrangements I am making relate to someone else. Mind you, I have just had a lovely email of sympathy that made me cry!

Hope everyone has had a good 'hump day'.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
How are we all? It nearly sunset! And I have a lovely pink sky in view. The day has been sunny, not too cold. Around here the last few days have seen little rain, certainly no snow! Yesterday morning it was so bright I was squinting trying to see the road!
However, the forecast is colder!
Just before I got to the place where I had intended to lunch when my back started aching like mad. This is the from the twist I gave it the other day. I took some painkillers , but didn’t seem to work! I had a coffee, paid some money I owed them ( evening dinner on the 30th) and came home. Spent the pm trying to find someway that gave minimal pain. Still aching at bedtime! So went to bed, and.....punched the pillow a few times and neck started aching! What have I done to incur the wrath of the pain gods? Eventually got to sleep at 03:30!
However, not too bad today.
Did my Christmas card list ( ie, made a few changes from last years), put it to print, not printing but not telling me why! Oh well, will get some more ink when I go into the nearest town!

I’ve stopped taking the latest ‘ get rid of neuropathic pain’ tablets. They didn’t, but did have other side effects that are slowly getting worse. I must admit my mood seems better, if nothing else.

Hope all are well. Ann looking forward to her weekend, Amy to the end of her holiday, JM rejoicing in being painfree, and Slugsta calm and peaceful! Well, that’s what I hope!
Hope you all have a good weekend. I’m on my weekend, I’ve been thinking all day that it’s Saturday!

Last edited:

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Sorry to hear you are still in so much pain

Afraid my tooth is still sore, but with one thing and another no time to get back to the dentist this week.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Morning all,

Jm and Spamar, I am sorry that you are both in so much pain :(

Spamar, what on earth is 'lupitgle rain'??

I had a very bad night last night so am shattered today - good job there is nothing I must do. Hubby is playing bowls this afternoon so will leave me in peace.

Hubby and I played cribbage on Wednesday evening (at the bowls club). I hadn't played for years so was very nervous but everyone was friendly and we got on OK. My one ambition was to get through without making a fool of myself. As it happened we came 6th out of 10 and won back our entry money :) They play on Wednesday alternate weeks, so I have said I will try and go regularly. Since we stopped running we have few interests in common so this will be good for us.

I think I have done all I can for the funeral at the moment. Must remember to make sure I have tights though and decide which shoes I will wear (and clean them!).

Hope everyone is snug and warm. No snow here but I know some peeps have had it.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
‘little’ it was meant to be, no idea how it changed. The curse of iPad! I’ve changed it now if anybody else reads it! I usually read them through, but was in a hurry when I was writing that!

I wore my usual black trousers to OHs funeral - and it was mid summer! At least I didn’t have to find tights!
Hope it all goes well for you.
I was reading all the cards and emails yesterday. Very subduing! Not sure that’s a word, but I guess you know what I mean!

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Sorry to hear that pain and fatigue continue for so many here.

Slugsta, hope you can get an outfit sorted. I dislike trying to figure out what to wear and it can cause a lot of anxiety. The cribbage sounds promising.

We are on our way home and overall it was quite good. I commented to OH that it was the first holiday/visit with his family that felt like a proper holiday/vacation/fun, rather than an exercise in endurance. It was more challenging once my MIL arrived, I'm sorry to say. But overall still quite good. I'm tired and seem to have gotten some sort of lurgy from one of the children. OH is kindly doing the driving so I can doze. I'm going to see if I can drop off again as home will arrive sooner that way! He is being entertained by an audiobook of Treasure Island so don't feel too badly for him. More later.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Popping in to say we just arrived home safely and I'm about to fall into bed. We elected to drive home all in one go and we had good weather and no roadworks or traffic delays this time. OH gets a medal for doing the entire 12 hour drive himself, to spare me!

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Popping in to say we just arrived home safely and I'm about to fall into bed. We elected to drive home all in one go and we had good weather and no roadworks or traffic delays this time. OH gets a medal for doing the entire 12 hour drive himself, to spare me!

Gold star for Mr Amy :)

Glad you did manage to get a holiday feeling time away.

Little people are so generous with sharing their bugs. We almost always get to keep one of those bugs after a grandchild visit.... whilst they seem to bounce through their bugs, we tend to struggle in dealing with them :(

Let’s hope this bug doesn’t like the change of town and disappears quickly xxx

Love to all xx

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Hi everyone,

So sorry I haven't been around - had a completely manic week in work, barely chance to breath and I am so shattered - Fuerteventuara seems a long, long time ago!

Canary, There is absolutely no doubt that if Mil could get into the other bedrooms, or if other residents could get into hers, the issue over clothes would be completely understandable. But, in the CH, rooms are locked - once inside the residents can of course get out - but to get in from the outside, a key is needed. So its definitely not a case of residents wandering and helping themselves or moving things round. Of course, if cardigans, for example, or glasses or other similar things are left around in the lounge, that would account for some items turning up in Mils room (3 pairs of glasses, none of them hers, at the last count) - but not things like trousers, I wouldn't think. I do make regular trips to Mil's room and remove things that are not hers - though I have to say that often its the same items of clothing that turn back up there on my next visit.

JM, I'm so sorry that the tooth is not sorted for you yet - I could say that you MUST make time to see the dentist, but it would be pot calling kettle black, because I know that fitting in stuff like that when you lead a busy life is not always as easy as you might think. So I'll settle for saying that I hope you are able to find the time to get it seen to very soon, instead xxx

Spamar - sorry to read about the aching back - I can sympathize! Youngest (with her first months wages) bought OH and I gifts (bless her!) and mine was a 'long' hot water bottle - its possibly one of the best things I have to help ease my back when its aching! Its about 2 feet long and thin, and it wraps ever so comfortably around me when I'm sitting - can highly recommend it for sore backs! We had our first taste of snow on Friday night, though it was replaced by rain quite quickly so very little of it left when I got up yesterday morning - but sooooo cold yesterday, about 4 degree's - and on my way back to the car as I left the supermarket, I got pelted with first snow, then sleet, then hailstones, all in the space of 3 or 4 minutes and it was horrible!

Amy, so glad you had a lovely holiday and a safe journey home. The escape room sounds like a lot of fun - never heard of them before! And I like it when this thread goes off on a tangent :D I don't remember a 'dry Wales', but I do remember very restricted drinking hours on a Sunday, going back to my early 20's. I think pubs/bars opened for 2 hours on a Sunday lunchtime, and from 7 till 10.30 in the evening - now of course, its all day opening!

Slugsta, sorry you had a bad night, hun - hope you managed to make up for it with an easy day and a good nights sleep last night. And I hope you are coping OK with all the arrangements - the emotions at a time like this are exhausting enough to deal with, let alone throwing in poor sleep xxxx Thinking of you, hun x

2jays - very near your holiday now - hope you have a wonderful time :) And Red - hope all is OK with your daughter and baby xxxxx

My week started with a pain of a day on Monday. I'm required to change passwords and so on every 90 days, and my laptop password was due for renewal on Monday - so, I logged on, tried to change, only to find that once again the new(ish) security systen had decided I was some sort of a threat and not 'authorised' to carry out that task! Not having time to spend an hour or two waiting for IT to phone me back to sort it, I fired off an email, then headed out to a new project - and got stuck behind not one, not two, but 3 tractors in total on the way, meaning I arrived a couple of minutes late - then couldn't find the class I was working with. So that session started nearly 20 minutes later then it should have done. Heading home just after 12, I had to stop at a cash machine to get some money for my work trip to Cardiff Bay the next day - put card in machine, entered my pin, asked to see balance - machine started flashng up an error message - and ate my card. Contacted machine engineers, told that they couldn't just get my card out, that I would have to cancel it - then go into the branch to order new and draw cash. So that took up a good bit of Monday afternoon, and the rest was taken up packing and sorting the stuff I needed for the Cardiff Bay overnight trip. Tuesday morning, another project then a quick dash home to grab a sandwich, my case and jump in a taxi to the train station. The journey (which took just over 3 and a half hours) was enlivened by the chap manning the refreshment trolley on the train - a little rotund chap who, with a poker face and in a droll monotone, went up and down the carriages offering "Ants in aspic, Vipers tongues, newts gizzards and albatross', amongst other equally strange food items, and kept me highly amused for the whole journey to Cardiff central, where I had the first of two train changes to get me to my final location.

Arriving there, I discovered that the '5 minute walk' to the hotel was in reality more like 20 minutes and arrived at the hotel frozen and shattered, at about 6.30. VERY nice hotel - the workmate who was also staying there had discovered a special offer which just (only just) put it in the budget we are allowed for overnights, so both of us had jumped at it. My room had a balcony that overlooked Cardiff Bay - absolutely stunning, spent a lot of time with camera, taking pics, waiting for workmate to arrive.

We were both starving, but one glance at the hotel menu told us that eating there definitely was not in the budget (just having a starter would pretty much take every penny we are allowed!) so out into the cold again, to find a more resonably priced dinner. Back to the hotel for 9.30, we both headed to bed - though I admit to another 30 minutes spent photographing the wonderful nightime view from my balcony before I had a bath, then fell into bed.

5a.m - wide awake! Showered, dressed and packed, and downstairs and out to wander round the hotel grounds as day broke - more photo's (of course!)

By 8.30 we had both checked out (forget breakfast - that was outside of the budget too), grabbed a coffee and pastry from a local shop on our way and by 8.45 we were at the Senedd (the seat of Welsh Government) where we were spending the day hosting the opening of a photographic exhibition, called 'The Spirit of Wales', which featured images taken by young disabled people across the country. We spent the first couple of hours hanging the images, then guests started arriving, including Welsh ministers and one of our funders, then speeches, I was asked to take photographs, we spent time chatting with the photographers who were featured in the exhibition and overseeing a buffet lunch. Left the Senedd at about 4.15pm, shared a taxi to Cardiff Central - where I discovered I'd just missed a train, waited about an hour for the next one (that included the train being 15 minutes late! ) and finally got home at about 8.30 that night.

Thursday, spent the day editing the photo's for work and basically catching up on housework, washing, ironing and shopping.

Friday, another project to start the day - my environmental group, so outside, freezing but good fun. From there, home then to station and off to Chester to meet my boss for our monthly catch up. She - bless her - told me that once again, the Welsh team was smashing every target, streets ahead of all the other UK teams - and as a thank you, she treated me to a very posh afternoon tea - which was lovely. She also fired off a rather stern email regarding the IT issues - I am wasting so much time with being logged out, being told I am 'unauthorised' to carry out tasks I need to do - hopefully, that will help get it all sorted.

Aside from going to daughters end of term show at the theatre group, I spent most of yesterday collapsed on the sofa!

Next week, I have 4 projects (including another new one), one meeting and so much admin that the thought of it is enough to reduce me to tears - especially if the IT gremlins keep playing me up. The week after, Monday sees me off for a 4 night residential trip - all of the Welsh team (including my boss) have been booked onto a 'Welsh crash course' - apparently, we are not allowed to speak anything but Welsh for the whole time we are there - now "Gallaf siarad ychydig o'r Gymraeg" (I can speak a little bit of Welsh)
but not enough to abandon English completely, and I believe that my 3 workmates have even less Welsh than me - I can't say I am looking forward to it all!

In addition, OH started his new job 'properly' and has had a frantic week too, now on his 5th of 7 consecutive shifts, and finding out that as intensive as the training was, being 'live' in his job is a whole other ball game. He is enjoying it, he is doing well - but he is exhausted, with shifts lasting from 6 hours to 12 hours every day.

All the above explains why I haven't had time to even peep at TP all week - one of the busiest weeks I've had, about 14 hours 'overtime', which I have no chance of claiming back next week, and heaven knows how many extra hours to be clocked up the week after! So myself and the rest of the team are taking a week off at Christmas, in lieu of all the extra hours - and I think we have earned them!

OH currently in work, due to finish about 2.10, so he will either visit Mil on his way home, or (more likely) we will both visit later this afternoon.

Hopefully, I'll have more chance to pop in during the upcomming week - and you never know - I might also actually grab some time to do some prep for Christmas (not one thing have I bought yet!), edit my holiday pictures, catch up on the family tree research and spend some time with my family!

Take care, much love to all xxxx

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Evening all,

Ann, what a hectic week! And more to come :( The IT issues sound like the last straw when you are tired and stressed (((hugs)))

Amy, I'm very glad that you had a good Thanksgiving and that you got home safely. A big gold start to Mr Amy for doing the driving so that you could rest.

Mum had stipulated that no-one should wear black to her funeral. I considered black trousers with a bright top but decided it was the perfect excuse for a new dress. Not easy at, this time of year, to find something that is not black and/or sparkly etc. I eventually found a very nice knee-length dress in Monsoon. Admittedly, the background is black. However, it has a pattern of green and gold, so I think it would pass muster and I will be able to get more wear out of it (I have been looking for another 'winter' dress). An added bonus was that, as it was 'black Friday week' I got £15 off :) which brought it down to a more reasonable price.

I want to sort out some photos for a small montage but, other than that, I am pretty well sorted for the funeral.

We didn't get any snow here, I don't think the temperatures dropped as low as forecast. I see that it is expected to be mild and wet tomorrow and then get colder as the week progresses. Hope everyone is keeping snug and warm.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
That sounds like a nice dress! I only wear trousers these days, swollen legs not very pretty! But I did wear a bright green/blue top. I didn’t want all black either! OH had a thing for coloured socks, mainly black with stripes, or block colour on heels and toes. I gave all the men in the immediate family a pair of them to wear at the cremation!
I managed to get some photos of OH in his college group, in the cricket team, the rugby team etc. Photocopied them all and put them up at home ( where the wake was held). The problem was for everyone to find OH! In the photos he was early 20s and clean shaven. But nearly everybody knew him as 50 plus with a full beard!
I had a load of more recent photos of him as well, quite a lot still up!

Got interrupted!
No snow here, though the temp got down to 0 C one night. Warmer and raining this morning, but rain now cleared. Colder for the rest of the week, I think.
Hair cut and odds and ends of shopping this afternoon. I did a bits and pieces Amazon shop at the weekend, first thing should be arriving today. Had to include Advent Candles, the place I usually get them didn’t have any!

Have a good day, one and all!

Last edited:

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Talking of clothes....

Got 20kg allowance for holiday. Need that because I buy so much stuff to bring back when away....

First pack done

Hmmmmm 19.98kg

Perchance, maybe, I think I may have overloaded in the knicker Department.... or it couldn’t be the clothes could it??

:D

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Blimey 2jays, what are you packing, I did a ski trip with the limit at 15kgs once, which included my ski boots!

Another dentist visit, another temporary filling, more ABs - had a temperature as well this afternoon. Dentist said to take one AB when I got home, one mid evening and one at bed to kick start, and then space evenly tomorrow, so I've had 2 in 3 hours and due another now - so maybe they are kicking in already.

PS - I've posted a pic of cake son made for Scouts on weekly chat thread (yes I helped a little)

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning all,

Glad you managed to get to the dentists, JM and I hope the AB's make a difference and help you to feel better quickly hun xxx

Lol, 2jays - we managed with 1 x 20kg between 3 of us for the week we were there - mind you, OH and dau had cabin cases, and I carried my camera rucksack as hand luggage - and thankfully, they were not weighed - the limit was supposed to be 6kg each, and I know my camera's and the rest of the kit weigh a good bit more than that!

We've had 'flurries' of snow here, Spamar - and a lot of sleet, rain and hail - but not enough snow for it to stick. We are forecast some for tomorrow morning, but only 'light' snow. Actually, its naughty of me, but any sticking snow here always results in colleges/day centres closing - and a bit of me is thinking that if that happened, I'd have extra time to catch up with the dreaded admin . . .

Slugsta, glad you found a dress that you are happy with for the funeral. At a lot of funerals I've been to over the last few years, there have been requests not to wear black - I like that sentiment, but I have found myself struggling to find an appropriate outfit a couple of times, as there is also that feeling of wanting to show respect, and I suppose the notion of wearing black to reflect that is quite deep seated in a lot of us. I hope you get the montage sorted with no trouble, hun xxx

The password chaos with admin found me locked out of even my phone's access to emails and so on yesterday morning - arriving at my project early, I rang IT and for once got hold of someone who didn't want me to wait for two hours plus for a call back - he actually sorted the problem within 2 minutes, simply by overiding the system and getting it accelt my current password for another 60 days - a bit of a sticking plaster approach, because in 60 days I am going to have exactly the same issue, but for now, it will do!

The project session that followed was lovely, though - I had brought in a local artists, who delivered a workshop on christmas card and gift tag making and the group will sell the end results at their Christmas fair, to raise funds for the NSPCC. We had ink pads and stickers and sequins - oh, and LOTS of glitter - I left there absoutely sparkling (Note to self - don't wear a fluffy dark jumper when working with glitter in future - and also look out for the joker in the class who repeatedly sneaks up behind you and sprinkles it in your hair :D ). The teacher played Christmas songs, and there was a really lovely atmosphere. I left there smiling like a Cheshire cat, and with a bag full of gift tags, which I couldn't resist buying in advance!

Yesterdays admin consisted of printing stuff for a couple of upcomming sessions, and also printing and compiling workbooks for some new projects, both jobs are time consuming and tedious, but only real glitch was running out of ink before I finished, so a mad dash to shops to get more, and then I just ploughed on and finished about 5.45 last night - so another long day.

OH went to visit his Mum yesterday, on his way home from work. He says she was in a great mood, but was completely oblivious to the Christmas songs that were playing and all the Christmas prep going on around her - when he said how nice the decorations were, she gazed at them in amazement, asking how long they had been there? The 40 minutes or so he spent with her, he described as being 'really chilled' - which was nice to hear, because he finds it so hard when she is upset and agitated. He is on his first full day off today, and I suspect he won't be getting up anytime soon!

Right - time to get moving! Red and Amy and everyone else - hope all is OK, and much love to you all xxxx

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Afternoon all,

Jm, I really hope this lot of antib's do the trick and that you will soon be pain0free (((hugs)))

Blimey 2Js, you must have really heavy knickers! :p

Ann, your current project sounds great fun! I have always been totally inept when it comes to handicrafts - I will be the one with my finger stuck to my nose :D I suspect that I would be labelled 'dyspraxic' if I were at school now, in my day I was just called 'cack-handed'!

I'm glad that Mr Mac's visit to OH went well. I must be a huge relief to see her nicely chilled after all the anxiety and nastiness :)

I had a nice call from my cousin this morning. They are actually going away for a long weekend by coach on Thursday but are going to get a train partway over to us and then her brother will collect them (cousin and her hubby) and bring them the rest of the way. She also suggested that she and OH come down to Bournemouth after Christmas so that we can spend a bit of time together. She is 12 years older than me but we were quite close when I was young (she trained as a nursery nurse, has always loved children and enjoyed looking after her young cousin), although we lost touch somewhat once I moved down to Bournemouth.

I have tempered Mum's 'No black' rule somewhat. Many people, especially men, will find it difficult to avoid black completely. I would rather they came wearing black than stayed away because they don't have anything else to wear! I reassured BFF that her hubby's sports jacket ensemble will be fine as my OH is going to wear his green jacket rather than a suit. I suspect son's outfit will also be either black or dark grey, he can borrow one of OH's ties to brighten things up a bit. After all, what people wear is actually the least important part of the day.

It was very wet here yesterday but, as forecast, the temperature dropped overnight.