So bizarre !

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Cloud storage? Move your old files to Dropbox and edit/delete them at your leisure later?

Limited free storage that soon gets used up with the size of my files, Red - though I do have some on DB. I did find that - possibly because of the file size - DB tended to be rather glitchy too, though that might have been down to my general incompetence - I'm Ok with editing programes and the like, but anything else techy and it goes over my head! Photobucket and picasa - I've also used both of them for storage, but find that both tended to compress the size of the files, so affect quality - which shouldn't matter unless they are images from a job, but I am stupidly fussy over things like that :eek:

AnoviceinN1

Feb 27, 2014
:D at the photo. Who else remembers when fax machines were an amazing innovation over telex machines? I can still hear the rat-tat-tat jangle of a telex machine bursting into action when a telex came in.
OK, this is definitely off-topic now and I am supposed to be working....

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
JM, hope tomorrow goes OK and you polish off that paperwork.

:rolleyes: I will be doing well if I am vaguely sorted on paperwork by Easter. Thur is only day I can fit time to do it in and then still have housework and household shopping to do and weekly visit to mum. Need another 'spare' day in the week.

My mum carried her frame quite a bit when she first had it - but her walking speed outside is much faster with it than with a stick. Ann - Maybe a rollator would be worth a try as harder to carry (plus handy compartment for extra sweets tissues etc :D )

computer wise - I'm a bit younger than some on here, we got a ZX81 and then a BBC home computer. At uni we did engineering drawing by hand, and CAD packages came in part way through the course so we had to redo our first year drawing module in year 3. I remember learning to programme in a language called FORTRAN77 at uni.

We have a fax machine at work still - when the last one broke they considered not replacing it BUT HM Revenue & Custom don't do email but do do fax so we kept it.

Last edited:

Grace L

Jun 14, 2014
NW UK
Morning All,

Yesterdays post was here, but then it just vanished... still not sure why.
Thanks Red Lou, I'll try that if it happens again.

Good luck Slugsta xxx

Miraculously SiL went to see her mum, and brought her over to me (only rang me a couple of hours before).
Should of said I was going out/ busy, but it was a wild/ wet day and I was hibernating.

Anyways.... MiL walked into lounge and thought she saw someone hiding behind my lounge curtains....
She was convinced, and when she did not find 'anyone', she went on a search to see where they had gone...
She was in a 'new loop' .... ranting about 'me being up to something'....

SiL looked shell-shocked, did not take this episode very well. I thought at one point she was going to leave.
I'm always thinking 2 steps ahead :)D ), so made sure my gates were locked shut.
Live in a flat, electronic security gates , need a zapper to open....

I could see SiL was ready to bolt, but I sat MiL down with a plate of cakes (thanks Mr K)
Don't usually buy cakes, but ran out to the local shop. MiL loves these little cakes.
That seemed to do 'the trick'.... loop was stopped in its tracks by a mound of cakes.

Old MiL was back , and the 'man?' she saw hiding (she saw his feet) was gone as well.

They only stayed an just over an hour... SiL 'had a call', and she was needed at home (yeah right).
At least she did not just leave MiL with me.

Will post more later xxx

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
Well done Grace, you handled that well. :) :)

Your SIL is still trying to groom you though. :rolleyes: The next time she will try to dash off as soon as she has delivered MIL to 'day care'. You might think "what's the harm, I wasn't busy anyway, and things will have to change once I've had my op". SIL has a different agenda. Next time you must say No.
MIL and her family play on this "you're not busy, are you?" way of thinking. You must tell yourself:

"Anything I choose to do without MIL is more important than letting them into my home." :D

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
Well done Grace, you handled that well. :) :)

Your SIL is still trying to groom you though. :rolleyes: The next time she will try to dash off as soon as she has delivered MIL to 'day care'. You might think "what's the harm, I wasn't busy anyway, and things will have to change once I've had my op". SIL has a different agenda. Next time you must say No.
MIL and her family play on this "you're not busy, are you?" way of thinking. You must tell yourself:

"Anything I choose to do without MIL is more important than letting them into my home." :D

I so agree - SiL will justify it to herself - Grace doesn't mind/Grace can handle her better because Grace doesn't care as much as I do/Grace isn't busy whereas I am rushed off my feet - all sorts of psychological rubbish.
Think you might have to concoct some excuses in advance, Grace. "I'm going to a friend. I'm going to the doctor. I am far too ill for visitors, sorry."
Have you got caller ID? Can you just not pick up when it's them?

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
If you want to back photos up on an external drive i cant recommend clickfree higjly enough. It can do 4 computers and will automatically check for new fikes each time you back up. One button snd super easy.

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
Grace, I feel that by continuing to allow them into your home you are, in your own mind, building up 'Carer credits'. Then, when you really have to say No, because you will be recovering from the op, you think it will be easier because you will then feel fully justified in refusing (which you don't at the moment).

I just think you have to ask yourself WHY am I still receiving them? You have said you have zapper door control, so they cannot get in without you allowing it, e.g. by getting a neighbour to let them into the block, or through a door accidentally open. However, you do still answer the phone to them, which IS still letting them in. Why?

I think you are appeasing these people, to disguise your plan to withdraw totally by means of a secret flit. This presumes that you will achieve a smooth escape without them finding out about it. Won't that be very stressful in itself? Surely it is better to stamp on SIL's plans from now onwards. If you don't, then you are going to spend much of this year fighting off the escalating pressure to look after MIL, which is SIL's agenda. Do you really need that, when your own health is your main priority?

Your SIL has already noticed your softly softly withdrawal from MIL care. That was the purpose of her "we must work as a team" phone call. She is now aiming to get you back on track. Each visit is therefore not a one-off, it is, in SIL's mind, aimed at re-establishing a regular commitment on your part. :eek:

I realise that you hate confrontation. It's your life, and you know best how to handle your in-laws. We only challenge you to take best care of yourself. Katrine xx

Last edited:

Grace L

Jun 14, 2014
NW UK
I have been withdrawing my MiL support.... it still feels wrong, but I need to do this.
I've been doing a lot less since New Year.

I think the penny has dropped with SiL, she needs to start helping her mum.
Her daughter has told her mum she cannot keep looking out for Granny, has 2 kids of her own to look after.
Niece has told her mum what she thinks about her not helping her own mum.
Niece will be visiting her Ex (unless he moves) as he lives in the same town as Granny ....
so I'm guessing she will be popping in on Granny for some time.

They might not be together, but he still shares (a bit) of the childcare.
SiL will have to help her mum, and learn to do this on her own. No daughter or me to help her.
and she needs to get her brothers on board, and they need to do their bit.....

Yes I have caller ID.... and I glanced at the number .... thought it was someone else, not SiL.
First few numbers near identical.... or I would not have answered.
SiL rang me . I think she was already at her mums, and needed an escape, so decided to take her mum for a run in the car. OOOOhhhh lets to xxxxx

I'm not sure if she planned to dump MiL with me, but it woud not surprise me.

IF the gates are shut, no one can get in, you have to ring , and be let in remotely.
You could climb over the wall, or walk in the side gate...
Told neighbours to not let anyone in, should they arrive in a car, and knock on their door, pretending they are visiting me....
I have my own front door .... so does the other downstairs flat. 2 flats upstairs share a front door.

They (in laws) used to do these pop in visits, and I thought they had all but disappeared.
Looks like I need to be on the ball again,, and tell them NO. No you are not coming in.
I'm fully aware of SiL and her little schemes to involve me ....

Seeing my Doc (GP) next week to find out why I'm still waiting, where I am on the list?

Looks like MiL has stopped driving (at least distances/ over to me) ... car on drive though.
I'm not saying anything, as I don't want to open wounds...
Not sure if she has even had a driving assessment letter....

Thanks everyone for your comments. x

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Grace- hope you can work out a strategy that you feel comfy with for next time SIL phones you - guess as you wouldn't meet her at MILs she may have planned this to see you with MIL (has neice moved - thought she was near to MIL)

Hope the GP can provide some light on your op date - it is holding everything else up

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
(((Grace))) I'm glad you are wise to SIL's tricks and are working on strategies to combat them. You really don't have reason to feel guilty, you have done for more for an in-law than many peeps do for their own rellies! I'm hoping the GP news is good.

(((Spamar))) sorry that you have been through a rough patch, hope your improvement continues.

Ann, have you ever been able to use Red as you had planned? I remember your excitement when you got her - and how much time OH spent doing her up.

(((Jm))) I' glad you are making progress, try not to become overwhelmed by what you have to do, the elephant can be eaten, one bite at a time, like everything else.

In May of last year a man in a truck reversed into my car and did a fair amount of damage. I was stationary at the time but he made a big thing that my offside wheels were over the central line (because he was in the left hand lane of the short access road to a locked underground carpark) saying that I was entering via the exit road. He denied responsibility and my insurers said that they would pay up unless I went to court.'Bring it on' I said although I really don't want to ave to argue this in court. Today I got a letter from my insurers to say that the 3rd party has finally accepted liability, so we do not have to go to court :)

Less good news is that my DLA award (which should have lasted til Oct 2018) is being switched to the new PIP, my lengthy claim form was posted back to DWP at the weekend. Today the forms dropped through the letterbox to renew my ESA claim. I must try to get it done before my op :(

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
Grace if your SIL rings and you answer tell her you can't do it today but probably see her next week or the week after sometime. Tell her you will call her when you have your diary to hand. Set fire to diary. :D. After a couple of those conversations she may get the message.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning all,

Grace, I think you need to practice saying 'No' on the phone, hun, hard as it is. I'm inclined to agree that your Sil is trying to make sure that you are tied into her Mum's care, to make you responsible for at least a good size portion of it - she is being quite crafty about it, so I think you have to be on the ball and have excuses lined up in advnce for when she rings next. Hope you are right about your Mil now not driving, and have my fingers crossed that the op date isn't far away xxxx

Slugsta - yep, we got away for weekends twice at the end of last Summer (once Old Red was at the stage where we could have nights away in her) and we use her now for odd days out while MIl is in DC - much better for transporting the doggies and us if we want a wander round somewhere that isn't that close. Hoping that, even with the potential for OH's job situation changing, that we can get away a few more times this coming Summer :) Good news on the insurance company and the DLA/PIP being sorted - fingers crossed the ESA is plain sailing to deal with too!

No coat loop yesterday morning with Mil, but yet again, one of her amazingly plausible confabulations kept her chatting for about 25 minutes before the mini bus driver arrived. She always has confabulated - along with the delusions, they are a pretty much daily occurance - but at the moment, a lot don't feature the usual impossiilities (like the stories about her going to the cinema with her brothers the night before) but rather are about mundane and very plausible events. Her tone and expressions are appropriate to what she is saying, she isn't back-tracking and changing the story mid sentence and she is able to sustain talking about whatever it is for 20 minutes or more without there being any 'off notes' - I thought all of those abilities were long gone. Usually, even if the content could be believable to anyone who doesn't know her, its pretty clear quite quickly that she has 'problems', because of the way she tells the tales - her body language, expressions and the tone of voice don't gel with what she is saying, IYKWIM. But, as with the tale about a lady passing away at DC last week, and the tale I got about how the mini bus had broken down a few days ago, yesterday's tale of how the usual driver was going to a funeral, so - with a 'new' driver taking his place - she had been told that the bus could be 'quite late' picking her up, all sounded completely believable, even while I was telling myself that it was almost certainly another invention. And, of course, it was all fantasy - the usual driver turned up at around the usual time. I asked - again to be sure - about this 'funeral' and he confirmed that nope, nothing like that had been mentioned - but he also told me that staff at DC had also been treated to some of these convincing tales and that only the day before, 2 different staff had come to him to check on something Mil had told them about, that involved him, that also turned out to be completely invented. He said that the staff had both said that even given Mil's known issues with delusions and confabulations, that she had more than half convinced them that what she was saying was accurate and true. I've suggested that they keep a close eye on the door when any residents have visitors - even occasional visitors are likely to know the code for the door (it was printed out and pinned above the door for ages - up until Mil managed her great escape!) and given Mils current skill in presenting a very convincing front, I woudn't be surprised if she was able to persuade someone to open it for her!

Last night she was a pain over asking or trying to get into the kitchen - everything from needing to do the dishes to an insistance that I'd asked her to put away the laundry that I'd told her I'd left there for her, as well as her having to check various things cooking or how she had left various items in there. Bed no problems, but the last hour before she went up, the cold - which I thought seemed 100% better yesterday morning - seemed to get a lot worse. She was going through even bigger mountains of tissues than usual and then during the night, I heard her coughing. Will see how she is this morning, but strongly suspect that I'm going to have to get her to the GP and there will be no DC today :( Will make for a long weekend, as OH is on 12 hours today and Sunday, but it can't be helped if she is poorly - just have to brace myself and get on with it!

Hope you all have a good day xxx

candymad

Dec 8, 2015
Derby
I started to read the first few post about how bizarre things in their mind can get.

I hope I'm not jumping in on anyones conversation but would like to tell you about my 91 year old mother's thoughts which are also bizarre.

She doesn't see things, but she does think that all her insides have been taken out and that she cannot take anything by mouth and that she cannot wee or poo because she has nothing to do it with, she says everything is automatic.

This loop has been going on for about 6 months now and it's not getting any better, she is now incontinent, but I'm not sure if this is because she thinks she shouldn't be going, it's very hard to get her to eat anything, you have to catch her off guard, I'll make a cuppa and get the cakes out, if she sees me eating them she will do the same.

It's really quite difficult with her meds also as she sometimes refuses to take them say she hasn't got the equipement to take them with.

The only thing I can think of is that when she was in hospital she was on a drip and had a catheter and that's where she gets the idea it's all automatic.

Has anyone else come across something like this?

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
I started to read the first few post about how bizarre things in their mind can get.

I hope I'm not jumping in on anyones conversation but would like to tell you about my 91 year old mother's thoughts which are also bizarre.

She doesn't see things, but she does think that all her insides have been taken out and that she cannot take anything by mouth and that she cannot wee or poo because she has nothing to do it with, she says everything is automatic.

This loop has been going on for about 6 months now and it's not getting any better, she is now incontinent, but I'm not sure if this is because she thinks she shouldn't be going, it's very hard to get her to eat anything, you have to catch her off guard, I'll make a cuppa and get the cakes out, if she sees me eating them she will do the same.

It's really quite difficult with her meds also as she sometimes refuses to take them say she hasn't got the equipement to take them with.

The only thing I can think of is that when she was in hospital she was on a drip and had a catheter and that's where she gets the idea it's all automatic.

Has anyone else come across something like this?

Oh my goodness - that is bizarre! Reading through the forums, I've come across posts from carers about strange repeated delusions - MrsTerryN, who posts on here has told of a strange belief her Mother has about her Father importing Asian babies - but nothing that quite matches what you describe. However, the ability to take a seemingly normal event/memory and weave it into a distorted reality can be a feature, and perhaps, as you say, that's what your Mum has done with her hospital experience. I'm just sorry that it makes dealing with your Mum so difficult - must be a worry to see her refuse food and meds because of this delusion :( I hope that this 'loop' fades quickly for both your sakes xxxx

Mil has got up, quite chirpy, chest sounds clear, though she is bunged up and still going through even more tissues than usual. In a complete about face to the usual demands to stay at home, she has told me - when I asked her if she felt OK for 'work' - that she is fine, its just a 'cold' - and anyway, she can't afford to stay off and lose wages ! Its so hard to make a call on this. There is no temp, she is eating like a horse, drinking well, no extreme behaviours - and wants to go. If she doesn't, well or ill, I know the change to routine will almost certainly prompt agitation . . . but on the other hand, her chest can be affected so quickly!

I think I'll let her go, but call DC and explain th situation. I don't need to go anywhere today, so will just stay by the phone - in case.

Last edited:

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
Not the insides, Candy, but my father did become convinced that the three plastic visitors' chairs opposite his hospital bed had to be aligned just so, with their legs touching, because they 'communicated with the lavatories' - and while he didn't say how this related to him - it was 'too complicated to explain' - it was to do with his incontinence.
On the food issue - is she forgetting how to swallow? Around that time, my father started going off his food before he had obvious problems swallowing - or that's how it seemed/seems in retrospect. A month or so later, it was clear he had swallowing problems and was put on pureed food.

Slugsta - well done on the car! Hope the PiP etc goes smoothly.
Ann - do so hope you get a DC day… x

Grace L

Jun 14, 2014
NW UK
Morning Everyone,

Jugglingmum... No, niece lives closer to me than MiL. Its nieces ex (father of 2 kids) that lives near MiL.
And MiL 2 sons live in same town ..... and their families of course.
At one point neice was looking at moving. She lives in a flat too, and was having problems with neighbours/ noise.... kids sleeping .... but the troublemakers got moved.
She is much happier with the old neighbours gone. Has a few people in the building she can call on if she needed help in an emergency. and a small network of other mums....
One of the kids will be going to school locally, so from September she cannot be available caring for Granny.
The other kid might ? go to nursery (part time) but only to give her a break.

MiL/Granny seems to ring us 2 first when she needs help.
We are working on getting us removed from the speed dial...
SiL/ Nieces mum knows that she will have to start helping her mum, and does not like it.
SiL cant cope with her mum (for very long) on her own.

Slugsta... I hope you manage to get the DLA/PiP crossover done without any problems.
Good luck with the ESA. I hope that is a simple renewal too.

AnnM.... when my husband went in for an assessment, I handed in a huge list of instructions, delusions, confabulations... gave staff a lot of information on what they might expect...
A a day or so in, I was visiting, Nurse in charge asked me 'was I sure about the VaD diagnosis?....
Chatting to my husband he was very believable/ convincing... 'lucid'.
The next day she realised, I got a panicked call to come , they did not know how to handle him.
To say the staff were shocked was an understatement.

Have a good day xxx

candymad

Dec 8, 2015
Derby
Not the insides, Candy, but my father did become convinced that the three plastic visitors' chairs opposite his hospital bed had to be aligned just so, with their legs touching, because they 'communicated with the lavatories' - and while he didn't say how this related to him - it was 'too complicated to explain' - it was to do with his incontinence.
On the food issue - is she forgetting how to swallow? Around that time, my father started going off his food before he had obvious problems swallowing - or that's how it seemed/seems in retrospect. A month or so later, it was clear he had swallowing problems and was put on pureed food.

Slugsta - well done on the car! Hope the PiP etc goes smoothly.
Ann - do so hope you get a DC day… x

I'm wondering if pureed food or soft food would help, but if she is in a nil by mouth day there is nothing I can do to make her eat or drink.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Grace - you need to ignore MIL until you can remove her from speeddial.

Glad your niece isn't going to have to move. Think you get so many hours of free nursery from age of 3 so that might be be what younger one is doing (was age 4 for my 2).

Redlou - at least Ann's van got finished (I think) ours didn't! Not the weather for an Old VW at the moment. I'm not pleased on a couple of the unfinished bits (external gas tank) and heater but OH says too cold to work on at the moment. OH is ripping out bathroom now - toilet and washbasin went last Sat, Bath is going on Monday he says - we have new bath in middle of living room.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jan2010