Saying Hi, early days with my parent/s

Jaynemills

Jul 2, 2024
Hi, I had a parent diagnosed this week who is already a carer for the other, not an unexpected diagnosis but I am still processing.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Welcome to the forum @Jaynemills.

I am sorry to hear of your parent's diagnosis. It is particularly worrying for you and the family as your parent was already a carer for the other.

I am glad that you have found us. There are others here who find themselves in a similar situation and who will be able to share what helped them process and work through the situation. It is still the early hours here but others will be by later.

Know that you are amongst friends here. We will try to answer any questions that you ask - or just be here to provide a listening ear and support.

When you are ready, perhaps start a thread in the I care for a person with dementia area.

Keep posting, we are all here for you.

SherwoodSue

Jun 18, 2022
Jaynemills

You knew in your heart of hearts that this would be I diagnosis I guess. Still feels like a blow to have it official doesn’t it ?

My advice

Take it a day at a time if you can , with the exception of the practical stuff
If you haven’t already looked into LPA , attendance allowance and reduced Council Tax payments

As one is the carer for the other, could you introduce a ‘cleaner’ as soon as possible for folks to get used to?