Say hello and introduce yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.

julieuk

May 25, 2024
Lancashire
Hi everyone, my name is julie, i live in lancashire, I was a carer for my mum who had dementia for 7 yrs; I look forward to getting to know you; & also hearing about your experiences that you are going through or have gone through.

Last edited:

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @julieuk and welcome to Dementia Support Forum. We are a friendly and helpful community of members who have experience of many aspects of dementia. I am sure that you will benefit from joining us.

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello @julieuk and a welcome from me also to this supportive forum. This is a great safe space to share experience and give helpful suggestions, and also a good place to let off a bit of steam sometimes. Do have a good look around the forums.

TonyGee

May 26, 2024
Hello I am looking after a man with Dementia . Finding it tough as the mood swings can really surprise you . I think the frustration is always there but just gets unleashed occasionally. Good luck all.

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Welcome to the forum from me too @TonyGee . You will find this a very supportive and friendly space; and you'll also find a lot of shared experience of dementia here.
Do have a good look around the forums and please ask any particular questions you may like to. You'll find understanding and a listening ear for sure.

daffodilj

May 26, 2024
Hi!

I’m a new poster who is struggling with a very intense period of decline in her grandmother. Very grateful for this forum.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome @daffodilj. I hope you will find the forum helpful.

I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother. I was close to my grandmother too and know how it feels.

Lubey

May 27, 2024
Hello,

I have joined today to see if this site would be able to support my father. He is caring for my mother who has been diagnosed with dementia pretty much not long after we came out of lockdown. We are a big family and my mother is the head and it’s come as a big shock. She has been in complete denial and will not admit or even fathom something is wrong but she has stopped doing pretty much everything. We cannot get her to wash, her eating is not great, she rarely get s dressed or leaves the house. She is absolutely freezing all the time and lives sat by a radiator.

Sorry for waffling.

Many thanks

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
Hi @Lubey
Welcome to the forum. Sorry to read about your mum.
It's v common for a PWD in early stages to be in denial and not to admit anything is wrong, and if they do realise something is wrong, then as it's not them, it must someone else - usually OH gets the blame and the flack.
You haven't said how old your mum and dad are, as that can make a difference in coping with this terrible condition and its deterioration.
As you said you are part of a big family, then hopefully several members make take on some of the caring tasks, time etc, so it doesn't all fall on your dad. Eg, one of my sons comes every Thurs evening so I can go and play bridge as a break from the caring. Breaks for the main carer are v necessary to retain sanity, speak with other people/adults/ etc.
When someone is in denial, it's not uncommon for someone - such as you or your dad - to write down the situation, yours concerns, etc and then speak with the PWD's GP or to write to the GP and get the GP, if possible to require your mum to attend a "well woman " clinic / chat and then the GP can see the problems and suggest medication if necessary, or make referrals to the memory clinic or the Local Authority Adult Social Services team,
Best wishes

SineWhirl

May 28, 2024
Hi everyone. My mum has recently been diagnosed with FTD, and I'm feeling a bit lost.
Im hoping to find out more information about it, how to support her, and find useful resources.
I hope you're all well.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hi everyone. My mum has recently been diagnosed with FTD, and I'm feeling a bit lost.
Im hoping to find out more information about it, how to support her, and find useful resources.
I hope you're all well.
Hello and welcome @SineWhirl

If you click on the link below you will find the Society publications list, which is a goldmine for information. I hope that helps you

Dids64

May 1, 2023
Hi, I’m Paula, and my husband, Des, has been dealing with ( we don’t says “has”, as it isn’t something he decided wanted…) since his diagnosis of early onset Alzheimer’s,in Jan 2021.

I’m struggling particularly mentally right now, as I deal with fibromyalgia and CFS, and feeling properly discombobulated… xxx

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Always someone here to listen Dids64, sadly the reasons I post on here (wife and mum) have now passed away and looking after that pair was hard enough without any health issues of my own.
Strangely enough I miss it, it was the best of times, it was the worst of times, as someone once wrote, I've just got a hangover and a touch of seasickness going on at the moment, jump ship and get a bacon butty time.
Like I say always someone here to listen. K

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome to the support forum @Dids64

Have you asked for help from social services? If you ask for a carers assessment, you will find out what help and support is available for you.

If you have serious pain yourself, it is even more difficult being a carer.

Status
Not open for further replies.