Say hello and introduce yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foggyheart

Jan 16, 2024
Greetings. I have a heavy heart joining this forum as I expect most of you do. My mum has this evil disease 🦠 so I have joined you all to cope with whatever comes next.
Waves *

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @Foggyheart and welcome 👋 Although this is a place that most would rather not be a member of, we are a friendly and supportive group so I hope that now you have found us knowing that others understand will be a help to you.

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello and welcome from me also @Foggyheart . I am sorry to hear about your Mum, but please do rest assured you will always find members here that really do want to help. Sometime just putting things down on here can help. You will always find a listening ear.

Adetheleveller

Jan 17, 2024
Good morning everyone. Earlier this week we had the formal diagnosis that our mum has Alzheimer’s. We have seen this coming for some time, and had to fight to get to this point. We are now wondering what happens next as there are a few issues, not least of which are that she needs to get in touch with the DVLA.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome @Adetheleveller I hope you will find this forum helpful.

These links might help you;

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Welcome from me also @Adetheleveller to this friendly and supportive forum, This is a great space to ask questions, and seek information - so do have a good look around the forums. Members here really do want to help, and are happy to share their experience of dementia.
It's also a good place to let off a bit of steam when you need to.

Mamf

Jan 17, 2024
Hi, my mum has Alzheimer’s and my dad has just been diagnosed with dementia he has an MRI next week so we hope to find out what type he has. Dad is also suffering from depression and advanced prostate cancer. They’ve been living with us for almost 3 years, sadly mum is deteriorating a lot as has started getting aggressive which is quite frightening for us all especially my children. I try to stay positive and I do yoga to help destress xx

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello @Mamf and firstly welcome to this friendly and supportive forum. There is a wealth of shared experience of dementia to be found here, and members really do want to help.
I am sorry to read about your Mum's Alzheimer's diagnosis and your Dad's recent dementia diagnosis. And with his other health conditions this must be particularly difficult.
It sounds as though you could do with some extra carer support, so I would suggest you contact Social Services for a care needs assessment for your Mum and your Dad, and a carers assessment for yourself. This link may help:
You have your own family to look after, and you simply cannot do everything. It is good that you have your yoga - it is important that you continue to do the things that relax you and you get enjoyment from.
This is a great place to reach out and ask questions. Share as much or as little as you would like to. There is total understanding here.

FleetOfFoot

Jan 18, 2024
Hello all,

I've joined the forum out of concern for my dad. He and my mum live in the North of England, I live in the South. My sister lives in Germany, so neither of us are particularly close by or able to physically see them often either. My job takes me away overseas a lot too. I'm typing this in Singapore.

My soon to be 79 dad's memory has deteriorated a lot in recent years, to the point that not getting to the end of a sentence as he's forgotten what he was saying is commonplace. His own frustration with the situation is palpable, resulting in frequent tears and distress.

My sister and I have raised the issue countless times with both mum and dad, seeking mum's blessing for us to contact the Alzheimer's Society. We're met by denial, "we'll be alright", and excuses. It’s placing something of a strain on mum too, though, as part of “the stiff upper lip generation”, she’d never admit it.

On account of the denial, there’s been no attempt at any diagnosis, which my sister and I perceive to be the first step on the road to getting help. Our view is that another blood test (if that’s what’s needed?) amid the many he undergoes on account of his ongoing cancer care (immunotherapy etc.) would scarcely be noticed, though presumably anything would have to be done with his/their assent?

We don’t really know where to start. Is diagnosis the first step? An acknowledgment that there is an issue would have to precede that?!

If anyone has any advice on how best we embark on this process, we’d be extremely grateful. We feel so powerless.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @FleetOfFoot.

I’m sorry to read about your family’s situation. It really is hard.

The fist step in getting a diagnosis is usually through a visit to the person’s GP. This might not be easy if the person is in denial. I know that some members have asked a GP to call the person in for a well woman/well man appointment. If this is possible then it would be as well to note your concerns and let the GP have them in writing before the appointment.

You might find this link helpful -

Izzybella

Jan 19, 2024
Hi, I'm new here. My mum is showing signs of dementia / alzheimer's. She has been assessed by "the memory lady" who said she isn't far enough along to be diagnosed yet.... (great help)
Every single thing is repeated over and over and over. She gets confused. Forgets words. Makes up things when there is a gap in her memory. She is aware of it but no reality on how bad it is.

She has no partner and I'm an only child. I have no idea what I'm doing and have no support. So decided to give this a try.
That's my story. Hello 👋

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hi, I'm new here. My mum is showing signs of dementia / alzheimer's. She has been assessed by "the memory lady" who said she isn't far enough along to be diagnosed yet.... (great help)
Every single thing is repeated over and over and over. She gets confused. Forgets words. Makes up things when there is a gap in her memory. She is aware of it but no reality on how bad it is.

She has no partner and I'm an only child. I have no idea what I'm doing and have no support. So decided to give this a try.
That's my story. Hello 👋
Hello @Izzybella and welcome to the Dementia Support Forum. You will find lots of support and help here, so if there is any particular information that you want just ask and someone will able to help you.

You say that you have no support at present, I would suggest that you contact your local adult social services to arrange a needs assessment for your mum and a carers assessment for your self, that way hopefully you will get some outside support.
Please also check with AgeUK or your local Citizens Advice to see what, if any benefits you and your mum might be entitled to.

If you have not done to it would he a good idea to talk to your mum about getting Lasting Power of Attorney in place for both health and finance, these might be important as your mum's condition progresses.

I know that this might seem a lot to take in, but just take one step at a time.

Finally, you might find it useful to start a regular thread on the - I care for a person with dementia - forum. I have attached a link below.

TracyI

Jan 20, 2024
Doncaster
Hi I came across this forum whilst browsing the excellent website. My mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's a year ago and up to fairly recently had coped with her condition very well with the support of my Dad and me my husband and family members . Unfortunately Dad had a fall last November (he has Parkinson's) and was unable to return home after a spell in hospital, I was faced with having to find a care home for him, and stayed with Mum to give her extra support as well as carers who went in 3 times a day. Mum is adamant she doesn't need anyone to care for her but unfortunately she does need 24 hour care which I just can't give as I work full time have My own home etc. Mum agreed to stay in the care home with my Dad for Christmas but absolutely hates it and wants to go home. I just want Mum to be safe and be with Dad as he is so frail and deteriorating. I'm sorry this is such a long winded introduction but I'm hoping I can find some advice on how to deal with the myriad of emotions I am feeling right now. Thank you.

luckybeagle

May 29, 2023
Hello. My husband was diagnosed with an early stage dementia (Alzheimers & vascular) back in 2022. He hasn't had an MRI scan yet despite numerous chasers so I don't know what's actually happening in his brain but I do feel it's been progressing.
I have just been registered as his attorney for both heath and finance. We applied for that as I was strongly advised to do so by the financial advisor at work but to be honest, I have no idea when and how to use these LPAs.
We don't have children, relatives and many friends around us. I am trying to be kind to him and myself and to be happy but I often feel overwhelmed and low. I hope communicating with the members here will be helpful.
Many thanks

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @TracyL.

I’m sorry to read about your situation. It sounds really heartbreaking.

You might want to think about starting your own thread in the I Care For A Person With Dementia area of the forum. That way you’ll be able to keep all of your own thoughts and members’ responses together in the one place. Whatever you do keep posting!

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to you too @luckybeagle.

You might find this link useful -

You might also find it useful to start your own thread in the legal and financial area of the forum -

Peachieperfect

Jan 22, 2024
Hello. New Today. Both my elderly parents have mixed dementia. Father is currently in a Care Home, Mum only diagnosed last week but seems to be going downhill quickly at the moment, not able to live by herself currently, and probably not in the future. Hoping I can gain understanding and advice from this forum. Thanks for having me.

Status
Not open for further replies.