Say hello and introduce yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tweezle

Dec 24, 2023
Hello
My mum has recently been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s and my sister and I are finding it challenging. There is so much good advice here which we are trying to follow. Thank you.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hello
My mum has recently been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s and my sister and I are finding it challenging. There is so much good advice here which we are trying to follow. Thank you.
Hiya, welcome to the forum, don't be afraid to post, always someone here to listen, well read technically.
K

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @LuanaOcean, @Spenc and @Tweezle and welcome to Dementia Support Forum our friendly and helpful community of people who have experience of many aspects of dementia. This is a great place to ask questions, share with people who truly understand, get helpful suggestions and let off steam. You can join in with existing conversations (threads) or start your own thread. You'll find empathy and understanding here.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello and thank you for all that you do.

My father is 85 and diagnosed with mild alzheimers dimentia in June in the same week I was told that my mother's cancer is palliative. She passed away in September and my father always relied heavily on her.

My daughter (16) and I have lived with them all my daughter's life. This meant that when my mother got ill, I was able to care for her. I stopped working so that I could everything for her. I am now back at work, but my daughter's attendance (she's a 6th former now) is 65%; this is due to grief as, so far, she has not had any emotional support. The Isabel Hospice have offered, so looking forward to this for her in the new year.

The reason I am saying all this is because after she lost the person who was like a mother to her, she has since gained joint responsibility for my father.

My father has never been easy to get along with and he has old fashioned values, ie, I am youngest of 3, the only female. He feels he should do all the "man" things, and if I explain something to him that he feels isn't a woman's business, he immediately disregards it. Things can get really quite verbal!

We have recently made contact with Alzheimers Society who are ushering us through, and this is how I found you.

Gonna be a tough Christmas this year, the first without my mother/his wife.
Hello @LuanaOcean and welcome to the forum. I am pleased that you are finding the Alzheimer's Society helpful and hope that you will also find the Dementia Support Forum useful. It is tough to be a carer and I hope that you will find as much outside support as possible, especially as your daughter is currently in sixth form, an important year for young people. I do not know how much advice the AS have given you but I would suggest that you get into contact with adult social services to arrange a needs assessment for your dad and a carers assessment for you and your daughter. Also contact the likes of AgeUK to check out what benefits, if any, that you would be entitled to.
You might find it useful to start a thread in the - I care for a person with dementia - area. There you could perhaps start a regular thread to record how you feel. ask questions or just vent when necessary.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
my daughter's attendance (she's a 6th former now) is 65%; this is due to grief as, so far, she has not had any emotional support.
The school/college should have a strategy to deal with bereavement including trained staff.
You could contact them and ask for a meeting to discuss how they are handling your daughter's problem

Status
Not open for further replies.