Remote control

BuspassBill

Feb 27, 2024
My OH takes control of the TV every night, doesn’t check what’s on using the guide button on the remote. Instead flicks through various channels and we end up watching programmes and films halfway through or very old programs, Rarely asks if I want to watch what been chosen. I say almost every night that pressing the “Guide” button, it’ll show all the channels, start times, a summary of what the program is about etc but gets cross and ignores me. Feeling very annoyed! Any suggestions?

yoy

Jun 19, 2022
My dad used to dominate the remote and flick through channels constantly. I can only suggest another tv in another room for when it gets too frustrating‽?

scotlass

Jul 9, 2023
My OH takes control of the TV every night, doesn’t check what’s on using the guide button on the remote. Instead flicks through various channels and we end up watching programmes and films halfway through or very old programs, Rarely asks if I want to watch what been chosen. I say almost every night that pressing the “Guide” button, it’ll show all the channels, start times, a summary of what the program is about etc but gets cross and ignores me. Feeling very annoyed! Any suggestions?
Snap...my OH's just the same...he scrolls down the channels one at a time..slowly slowly, and when we are watching a program and the adverts come on, he starts scrolling again, usually the program we were watching has started again by the time he gets back to it, I get so angry...I grab the remote, put it to a program I want to watch...and keep hold of the remote, just because he has alzheimers doesn't mean he has to get all his own way...

Shirleyblue

Dec 17, 2023
Snap...my OH's just the same...he scrolls down the channels one at a time..slowly slowly, and when we are watching a program and the adverts come on, he starts scrolling again, usually the program we were watching has started again by the time he gets back to it, I get so angry...I grab the remote, put it to a program I want to watch...and keep hold of the remote, just because he has alzheimers doesn't mean he has to get all his own way...
Hi Scotlass,
I’m quite new on here. What you’ve said above resonates with the situation that I’m in. OH appears not to be able to follow a detailed plot, he tends to like The Repair Shop, Place In The Sun etc. He was diagnosed in October with early Alzheimer’s, then bladder cancer and one of the most noticeable, distressing things is his lack of empathy. I now just feel like a carer, I’m invisible unless I’m helping him, rarely do I receive thanks or acknowledgement for most things that I do, that’s just not like him. I’m resolved to now accept the situation and learn to take care of myself more. I’m opting to buy another TV where I can watch in another room as he appears to prefer his own company. Just when you think you’ve got things sorted, new behaviour changes appear.

scotlass

Jul 9, 2023
Shirleyblue, I've found the pwd does get a bit selfish, and it's not going to get any better ..just worse as time goes by. sometimes I just let him watch what he wants...some old repeat usually...while I do a crossword , but the carer has a life too ...

Angela61

Dec 30, 2021
I have had to hide the remote control from my husband. He constantly scrolls through the channels really fast without even noticing what's on. It's like an obsession with him. :(

Shirleyblue

Dec 17, 2023
Shirleyblue, I've found the pwd does get a bit selfish, and it's not going to get any better ..just worse as time goes by. sometimes I just let him watch what he wants...some old repeat usually...while I do a crossword , but the carer has a life too ...
I agree, I’m gradually accepting that it’s not worth trying to watch the programmes that we used to enjoy because he finds them difficult to follow. So it’s mainly his choice.
Coincidentally, repeats are also a favourite. 😂

husband also likes to watch repeats

BuspassBill

Feb 27, 2024
As always, it’s good to know I’m not the only one

BuspassBill

Feb 27, 2024
Hi Scotlass,
I’m quite new on here. What you’ve said above resonates with the situation that I’m in. OH appears not to be able to follow a detailed plot, he tends to like The Repair Shop, Place In The Sun etc. He was diagnosed in October with early Alzheimer’s, then bladder cancer and one of the most noticeable, distressing things is his lack of empathy. I now just feel like a carer, I’m invisible unless I’m helping him, rarely do I receive thanks or acknowledgement for most things that I do, that’s just not like him. I’m resolved to now accept the situation and learn to take care of myself more. I’m opting to buy another TV where I can watch in another room as he appears to prefer his own company. Just when you think you’ve got things sorted, new behaviour changes appear.
Thank you for sharing

Cardinal

Oct 4, 2023
I watch what I want on my tablet with headphones.

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
You all need a bit more patience!
My OH cannot follow programme plots etc and the words / music/ pictures and images all change too fast for her to process.
So she's OK with programmes where picture changes slowly, of the "plot" in v short bits - so she's OK with The Repair Shop, Countryfile, natural history programmes, Antiques Road Show, Escape to the Country, etc. Programmes or presenters become "familiar" to her even if she can't follow things properly.
So she looks at these during the afternoon.
Come the evening, when I want to watch TV, I put on what I want. She sometimes looks at it, or more usually nods off intermittently, and occasionally and v annoyingly "heckles" the programme with her incoherent "talking" or making noises, which I have trained myself to ignore! Some harmony amongst the disharmony.
I said you need patience, because unfortunately your OH will deteriorate and in due course will pass the stage of "wanting" a particular programme or wanting to hog the remote control. My OH no longer knows what the remote control is or how it works or what it for!
Just my thoughts.

dsagarnaga

Mar 17, 2024
My husband falls asleep while watching our programs.....we used to enjoy our weekly shows, laugh together, even discuss what we thought would happen...now it's just me watching them.....OR he is on his phone scrolling thru facebook, or looking for misc parts for our roll a shield door even though I found that part and it's sitting on the counter....waiting to be installed....

Shirleyblue

Dec 17, 2023
You all need a bit more patience!
My OH cannot follow programme plots etc and the words / music/ pictures and images all change too fast for her to process.
So she's OK with programmes where picture changes slowly, of the "plot" in v short bits - so she's OK with The Repair Shop, Countryfile, natural history programmes, Antiques Road Show, Escape to the Country, etc. Programmes or presenters become "familiar" to her even if she can't follow things properly.
So she looks at these during the afternoon.
Come the evening, when I want to watch TV, I put on what I want. She sometimes looks at it, or more usually nods off intermittently, and occasionally and v annoyingly "heckles" the programme with her incoherent "talking" or making noises, which I have trained myself to ignore! Some harmony amongst the disharmony.
I said you need patience, because unfortunately your OH will deteriorate and in due course will pass the stage of "wanting" a particular programme or wanting to hog the remote control. My OH no longer knows what the remote control is or how it works or what it for!
Just my thoughts.
Good advice. I try my best to be as patient as possible because I know my husband likes to switch around and I find it reassuring that the same programmes are frequently enjoyed as many of our OH’s on here. The repair shop appears to be a favourite because it shows people bringing in their memories and sharing stories that accompany the items.