Refusing follow up!

GeorginaD

Jun 28, 2024
My partner has had symptoms of possible dementia for the past year and a half, getting numbers and words wrong and constantly forgetting words. He is 69 and his dad had early onset Alzheimer's. I finally got him to see a memory nurse and he did poorly in the tests. Shortly after we arrived home we had a call from the nurse who said he had consulted someone else and because of his poor test results he shouldn't be driving at least until he has had a diagnosis after a brain scan in a month's time. My partner was furious and said he can drive perfectly well and now won't go for the brain scan. He is very stubborn. Any suggestions on what to do?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome to the forum @GeorginaD

I`m afraid my husband had a similar reaction. Part of it is denial and part fear.

Each time my husband refused to attend an appointment, I phoned the hospital/consultant/whoever and apologised. They all accepted this as a common reaction. The time did come when my husband agreed reluctantly to accept help.

The driving is a different issue entirely. My husband fell and broke his arm and we `loaned` the car to our daughter in law . My husband was too embarrassed to ask for it back so the problem was solved.

I had to report my mother to the DVLA. They wrote and asked for her licence. She was livid and knew it was my doing but it was better than her having an accident.

This is what I would do.

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
You need to inform DVLA about the possible diagnosis and his insurance company as he will not be covered until his driving is confirmed as OK.

GeorginaD

Jun 28, 2024
Welcome to the forum @GeorginaD

I`m afraid my husband had a similar reaction. Part of it is denial and part fear.

Each time my husband refused to attend an appointment, I phoned the hospital/consultant/whoever and apologised. They all accepted this as a common reaction. The time did come when my husband agreed reluctantly to accept help.

The driving is a different issue entirely. My husband fell and broke his arm and we `loaned` the car to our daughter in law . My husband was too embarrassed to ask for it back so the problem was solved.

I had to report my mother to the DVLA. They wrote and asked for her licence. She was livid and knew it was my doing but it was better than her having an accident.

This is what I would do.
Thanks, hopefully I have a few weeks to persuade him to attend the scan

GeorgieW

Mar 9, 2024
I took my mothers licence and cars away after an intervention by the emergency services. I stood my ground and the confabulation that she sticks to is that she was arrested for dangerous driving by very young policemen who rammed her car causing her to speed up! Great TV and Randall and Hopkirk has a lot to answer for. This was before the formal diagnosis, but she wasn't safe and I would have been guilt ridden if she had killed someone.

GeorginaD

Jun 28, 2024
I took my mothers licence and cars away after an intervention by the emergency services. I stood my ground and the confabulation that she sticks to is that she was arrested for dangerous driving by very young policemen who rammed her car causing her to speed up! Great TV and Randall and Hopkirk has a lot to answer for. This was before the formal diagnosis, but she wasn't safe and I would have been guilt ridden if she had killed someone.
Thanks, hopefully I can stress the benefits of our Freedom passes and cheap Ubers to appease him.