Poor Piedsmum is poorly again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
I had one of the top three worst visits today with my beloved mum. She was ok when I saw her this afternoon and ate a raspberry pavlova. But I got a phone call at 8 pm saying her temperature had shot up. When I got there, the GP was there, and he said she has a chest infection and her heart is racing. They said what about hospital and I said I'd lie in front of the ambulance rather than put her through that again. Anyway the doctor didnt say anything to me about hospital, he just said Mum needs antibiotics.
I went in and sat with Mum and she was extremely ill three times. I won't go into details. Her eyes were flickering and rolling back in her head. It was awful. I keep seeing her again in my head, struggling to breathe. I held her head and pushed the buzzer. It seemed an age til the girls came but they were so good.
The really nice night nurse is on tonight.
I'm hoping Mum is peaceful. I feel an awful guilt. I shouldn't have left her tonight but I couldn't bear it.
X

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
So sorry to read that your mum is poorly, Pied, but I'm glad that the nice nurse is on duty. It will make a difference for her and for you to know she is there. You can't be everywhere, Pied, Please try not to feel guilty. You have always looked after your mum through thick and thin. This is no different. xxxxx

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
Oh Pied I am so very sorry, your poor mum and poor you, my heart goes out to you as you face another traumatic situation.

I'm glad that the doctor was there and you were in agreement about hospitalisation, the right decision I'm sure. Your trust in the night nurse is so positive, let her care for your mum tonight and you take good care of yourself.
With kindest regards from Jo

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
Pied, why don't you telephone and speak to the nurse to get an update, it might help you .....
Thinking of you, Jo

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Sorry to read how poorly your Mum is Pied. The really nice nurse is on tonight so you don't have to be, she is in good hands.
love Sue

blandford516

May 16, 2012
I was in the same place as you last saturday another chest infection mum was going fast. I sat crying and preying she would not go .I sat for hours and hours with her and left . I felt so much guilt how could I leave her , but yet again she recovered enough to eat her breakfast . Thinking of you and we are here for you . x

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Thanks Sue. I will ring Jo, I'm just trying to wait a little to give the nurse a chance to see Mum for herself. I know she's a caring and diligent nurse. X

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Pied - I am so sorry to hear about your Mum. If it's any consolation, I totally agree with 1) your decision not to have her sent to hospital and 2) your decision to come home. The first because hospitals + dementia is often not a happy mix and 2) you need your rest and you simply can't be "on duty" 24/7 (although I understand why you would want to). Try to get some rest so you can be strong tomorrow.

Thinking of you and your Mum.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Hi Pied, I'm sorry to hear how ill your mum is and hope that she is feeling better soon,

Jeany x

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
so sorry to hear your mum is ill again. I hope the antibiotics work quickly for her.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`m so sorry to hear this Pied. I`ve just experienced a chest infection with Dhiren and know how poorly he was.

I hope the antibiotics take effect soon and your mum becomes much more comfortable.

Pheath

Dec 31, 2009
UK
Dear piedwarbler

So sorry to hear about your distressing visit to your mum but writing to give you a little hope. My dad has only recently got over a chest infection, started with coughing the day before and seemed to come on at lightening speed. Within a day his temperature had shot up and by the evening the emergency doctor was called. He looked absolutely dreadful but thankfully due to the wonders of antibiotics 1 week later he is infinitely better, although still quite weak he’s back down in the main lounge again eating proper meals. Once the meds. kick in hopefully you’ll see a big difference in your mum soon and she’ll be feeling much more comfortable. Also just to mention she can get a vaccination against pneumonia which is only required once and lasts a lifetime. All the very best, it sounds like your mum is in very safe hands and the right action taken.

Px

Last edited:

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Thanks blandford, jeany and &Jen. I'm glad you agree about hospital. They always make it sound like it would help, but I don't see how. I think 20 minutes in an ambulance and Mum's skin would break down completely. It would traumatise her. She's not been out of her room in nearly 2 years. I sound selfish but I couldn't stand to see her bundled off. I know she'd hate the journey. Always has. Xx

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
What does chest infection and racing heart mean? It's not a euphemism for pneumonia, is it?

It probably means just that, Pied. I expect the doc would have said pneumonia if he thought that's what it was.

Let the home look after your mum tonight Pied. You do need your sleep especially as you are working full time and looking after a lively family. But good advice from Jo and others to ring the nurse later for an update. x

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Thanks everyone. Mum can't start the antibiotics until the vomiting stops so they are hoping to start them tomorrow. I guess that's why they were thinking hospital.
I don't mind if she doesn't get better, I just don't want her to suffer you know? I'm praying she is comfy because she certainly was not earlier tonight and when I left her.
Why do I panic? I started shaking, feeling sick. For goodness sake, I tell myself. It doesn't help! Xx

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
I am so sorry to read this Pied. I agree you have made the right decision and I am sure the nurse would will let you know if you are needed. Its important that you rest as much as you can.

I hope the antibiotics kick in quickly. My thoughts are with you and your Mum.

Edited: Just noticed that the a/bs will not be started tomorrow. If your Mum has been vomiting hopefully it may ease the gunge from her lungs. Horrible though.

My thoughts are with both you and your Mum.

Last edited:

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Thank you Beckyjan and everyone. Mum is so teeny tiny. Just bones and skin. It doesn't seem feasible that someone so teeny could be so ill. Does that make sense? I think that's why I panic. Her MS means she can't move at all. Not even to be ill. Not to cough. And her dementia means she can't speak. They have got her propped up in bed like a... Well not like a person. It seems utterly horrendous. X

Status
Not open for further replies.