Please could you help me with job interview advice?

snugglecats

May 27, 2017
Nottingham
Hi everyone!

I've been reading this forum for the past few weeks in order to get a better insight into dementia and dementia care, after stumbling across it during a Google search. I think this seems like a really welcoming, positive forum, and so I've decided to actually make my own post because I really do need your help!

I've been interested in dementia for a couple of years now, as I found the topics we covered at university fascinating (I have a Psychology and Neuroscience degree), and I've done my own reading into it. I've been applying for support worker jobs since I graduated in 2016, but no joy because of my lack of experience, I think. However!! I've recently been invited to an interview for Dementia Key Worker at a hospital and I'm honestly SO EXCITED yet SO NERVOUS. I really really want this job, and I genuinely think I would be great at it, as I'm very passionate and enthusiastic about helping people.

Now, here's my dilemma... I have to deliver an activity for 30 minutes (the position is mainly as activities coordinator), and they've said this could be to a group of patients or 1 on 1. I've spent hours researching this, trying to find the best activity to impress the panel and to show them the research I've done.

So, here is what I've thought so far, and I'd really love your input for this:
1. First 5-10 minutes: Sitting exercises (from the NHS website, inclusive to those with limited mobility/disabilities, and I can tailor the exercises to suit us all)
2. 10-15 minutes: This will be the main event of my activity, I guess, so it needs to be bulletproof. I've thought of making cue cards, putting them into a little bag/hat and letting people pick in turn. These would be words or phrases which people could tell a story from their past/reminisce about, such as "wedding" or "school" or "my first home". I'm not too sure about this bit. I want to do something that involves us talking and interacting together, and I know that some PWD enjoy reminiscing and it can help them to talk about it. I'm just not sure if this would be 'good enough', or work, or whatever... I'm really not sure!
3. Final 5 minutes - Mindfulness meditation. This can improve mental wellbeing, reduce anxiety, and is something we could do at the end of every session (if I were appointed!) to relax everyone. This is something they could practice at home with carers too, if they like it!

Okay. Sorry about the long post. I'm just very excited, and so eager to hear your thoughts. What do you think - as carers, individuals with dementia, and everyone in between? Do you have any advice, interview tips, or activity ideas? Please get in touch and help me out, I'd appreciate it so much!

Thank you for reading,
Snugglecats :)

Fullticket

Apr 19, 2016
Chard, Somerset
Job interview

Doing this at speed as need to be somewhere else...JMO and I am sure there are many people here will be able to help in more depth.
Keep any activities easy and quick - you will lose them if you ask individuals to do too much, such as a story (the others may fall asleep or wander off and your subject may lose the thread as they talk).
There is an activity called Flexercise which councils run. Maybe find out a bit about this and you can talk about exercises for dementia patients, say you want to find out more about this - courses are run; I've done one and it can be adapted to all sorts of situations, not just dementia. One of their exercises is to pass a ball (or throw it around the group if they are able). On the sections of the ball is a phrase or a question and they have to respond - i.e. Name of my first pet. They can mostly recall that far back and it is a quick response and move on.
They will regularly have bingo and quizzes and there is nothing wrong with that - just it is a bit obvious and they are looking for some innovative ideas from you.
Keep it fun.

I'll be interested to read other posts.

Good luck and I hope it all works out for you.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Going to pick a few holes my dear. Overall it reads like you are dealing with patients who can understand, talk even remember, if the role is intended for a dementia ward then think the patients may be further along, might be a good idea to visit such a ward so you can get some idea of what stage you are dealing with.

1. introduce music with this activity

2. Forget cue cards. A4 size photos - a wedding, school, a house, seaside, animals,
items from a different era like telephones washing machines radios etc. Try and come up with one question per photo that may help start a conversation. If you have to, put these in large colourful envelope.

3. Not really sure about this section "mindful meditation" may be a step too far for a
dementia sufferer - once anxiety sundowning kicks in - no amount of meditation will
help. Sorry, do you have anything else for this bit?

Colour and sound seems to have a great effect on dementia sufferers.

So there we are, holes picked! Sure others will be along soon with lots more advice. Good luck, hope you have enough time to practice your presentation before interview date. If I change my mind completely ro think of anything else, I will post again.

Floweryfoo

May 21, 2017
Hi everyone!

I've been reading this forum for the past few weeks in order to get a better insight into dementia and dementia care, after stumbling across it during a Google search. I think this seems like a really welcoming, positive forum, and so I've decided to actually make my own post because I really do need your help!

I've been interested in dementia for a couple of years now, as I found the topics we covered at university fascinating (I have a Psychology and Neuroscience degree), and I've done my own reading into it. I've been applying for support worker jobs since I graduated in 2016, but no joy because of my lack of experience, I think. However!! I've recently been invited to an interview for Dementia Key Worker at a hospital and I'm honestly SO EXCITED yet SO NERVOUS. I really really want this job, and I genuinely think I would be great at it, as I'm very passionate and enthusiastic about helping people.

Now, here's my dilemma... I have to deliver an activity for 30 minutes (the position is mainly as activities coordinator), and they've said this could be to a group of patients or 1 on 1. I've spent hours researching this, trying to find the best activity to impress the panel and to show them the research I've done.

1. First 5-10 minutes: Sitting exercises (from the NHS website, inclusive to those with limited mobility/disabilities, and I can tailor the exercises to suit us all)
2. 10-15 minutes: This will be the main event of my activity, I guess, so it needs to be bulletproof. I've thought of making cue cards, putting them into a little bag/hat and letting people pick in turn. These would be words or phrases which people could tell a story from their past/reminisce about, such as "wedding" or "school" or "my first home". I'm not too sure about this bit. I want to do something that involves us talking and interacting together, and I know that some PWD enjoy reminiscing and it can help them to talk about it. I'm just not sure if this would be 'good enough', or work, or whatever... I'm really not sure!
3. Final 5 minutes - Mindfulness meditation. This can improve mental wellbeing, reduce anxiety, and is something we could do at the end of every session (if I were appointed!) to relax everyone. This is something they could practice at home with carers too, if they like it!

Okay. Sorry about the long post. I'm just very excited, and so eager to hear your thoughts. What do you think - as carers, individuals with dementia, and everyone in between? Do you have any advice, interview tips, or activity ideas? Please get in touch and help me out, I'd appreciate it so much!

Thank you for reading,

You sound like a very sweet and talented person and I hope you get the job because the fact you're posting here at all makes it very clear you want to put time and energy in!

I think reminiscing is a good idea but putting people on the spot with cue cards may not work. They may not read very fluently or may wander off mentally or literally when it isn't their go (and even when it is!) I work as a teacher and trainer and you have to always, dementia or no, think about what the whole group is doing not just one person. This seems just a bit risky in that regard.

How about a sorting activity? Bring lots of bits and pieces (fabrics and old photos) and have some space to just put them 'in order' - colourful is good! No pressure to talk but lots of things, say they are 'bits and bobs from your life to introduce yourself' and let the people look through them and chat. What does anyone think? Something simple but open can be fun!

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
Hi everyone!

Thank you for reading,
Hi
As others have said dementia patients are easily distracted. My MIL who has early stages wouldn't be able to concentrate on other people in group and quite honestly wouldn't be even interested. As she has limited ability to recognise words cue cards are out. And the mindful meditation side she wouldn't understand and probably wouldn't stop talking through it. Everything really has to be as simple as possible.

rosy18

Jul 23, 2016
Blackpool
My Mother is late stage alzheimers and the only time she wants to interact is when there is music. I take her to singing for the brain where they also do 6 or 7 minutes with instruments as well to music whilst singing along. I also have a tub of buttons which Mum will sometimes try and sort into colours but concentration span is very limited.
I do wish you well with your interview.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
My OH goes to a Day Centre. Every service user there has dementia but to varying degrees. His dementia is quite advanced and he barely speaks anymore. Any activities with words like a news quiz or hangman he has to sit out. He participates in Bingo with a lot of prompting and can take part in armchair exercise and things like throwing a soft ball back and forth to others. However, he comes into his own when arts and crafts are involved. Anything: Lego, play-doh, cards, painting, jigsaws, doesn't matter what - he gives it a go, and that includes food preparation, baking and gardening, obviously with lots of supervision and prompting. He also loves singing and dancing - well, marching from one end of the room to the other to music, but who cares. He can play skittles and loves to sit down and watch a film. At home he has a pack of playing cards he can sort through endlessly.

So, variety is key, plus a lot of help and not expecting anyone to adhere to any game rules. PWDs love music but I would be skeptical about the mindfulness. I don't think most people would understand it anymore, and you should always try to cater to everybody - and if this is a hospital setting, you might get people with complex needs. So, making a memory box or story telling would maybe only be possible with a few of them, but giving people a hand massage or a rattle they can make noise with would probably be appreciated by most. You might also want to look into doll therapy and twiddle muffs. Anything to occupy the hands!

Last edited:

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I think the main thing you need to remember about dementia is that the brain is failing bit by bit and what most of us take for granted becomes more and more difficult for the sufferer. I've seen this with my own father. He was a teacher and a skilled joiner but the communication and logic skills are no longer there.

Memory is also affected in most dementias so although someone seems to understand what you tell them they may not retain the information long enough to act on it.

The conclusion I've come to is to keep things simple. Reminiscing sometimes happens, often triggered by something like music or "Back in time for dinner" on tv. A bit of retrograde time travel really seems to bring dad to life!

Dad doesn't like big group activities and tends to stay quiet but just after his diagnosis he really enjoyed a group at the local hospice where they did various activities like painting bird boxes and putting together a simple working clock kit. He's not bad at things like that but I know it would be impossible for many.

I notice you say you have to deliver "an activity" for 30 minutes so maybe keep it simple and interesting. 30 mins is a long time to hold someone's attention.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

mab

Mar 6, 2010
Surrey
Hi Snugglecats,

Good for you to care about dementia and want to work in this field.

My advice to you is to think in headlines, bullet points. Attention is so very limited in dementia and any group you run will have people with varying degrees of it.

Before your interview is there any time to visit local care homes and speak with the staff, looking for their tips and suggestions? (That sort of action can't harm your CV either)

Wishing you well... do let us know how you get along. x

Louby65

Mar 26, 2014
Scotland
Hi snugglecats . My hat is off to you for being so enthusiastic in wanting to do your very best . I have interviewed many people in my nursing career so again congratulations for getting as far as the interview . It's a very competitive world we live in and I regularly have over 200 people for one job , so well done for getting this far. Now to business, the minute you walk into that room and sit down judgements will be made , so smile and give plenty of eye contact . Your objectives , though good , are perhaps a bit ideal and as we all know on this forum our PWD are not ideal . In my experience ( I look after my mum and nurse people with dementia ) music is most definitely the key . Sometimes I start the song on my device and stop it and my mum sings the rest . Also songs bring back memories , some of the people if able will let you know what that song means to them etc . I agree with Tin , use A4 laminated pictures of old telephones , telephone boxes , music players etc which they can recognise hopefully and perhaps jog a memory . In my mums day centre , they do armchair exercises , throw balls to one another , sort out coloured cloths into piles of the differing colours , play bingo . They also have old objects but understand you may not be able to get these for the interview , so the pictures should suffice . I really hope you get on ok , let us know how it went . If I can help you in any way PM me and I will do my best . Best wishes Lou

Poet1

Aug 10, 2015
As a former recruiter of staff I suggest you find out as much as possible about what the hospital/clinic are currently doing. Pick their brains via phone and website and their literature for carers. It is their 'buttons' you need to press; your favourite ideas from your training can be fed in once you have the job.

You mention mindfulness. I recently completed a course on that. My wife thought that might be useful for her. I steered her away from that. Mindfulness does require a fixed focus; my wife drifts from thought to thought and task to task without logical connections.

With my best wishes

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point