Picture of Alan putting family to bed

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
There has been some talk about stuffed animals and I thought I'd like to share with you a picture of Alan putting the family to bed.
settling down the family 12.11.09.jpg

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Helen that it a lovely picture of Alan. Strange thing is Peter had a lot of toys like that but they played tuned like Acky Breaky Heart, Who let the dogs out.

The Grandchildren would come in and play with Peter and the toys the noise was crazy but they were happy.

Love from
Christine xxx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I think it`s wonderful Alan has found an outlet for his feelings Helen. Who knows what he would have been doing without his animals.
What are those little white ones? Are they sheep?

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hi Christine

but they played tuned like Acky Breaky Heart, Who let the dogs out.
:D:D:p:p I could just imagine our choir singing :D:p

I reckon Alan would have a nervous breakdown if they had sound and especially if he heard (and understood) who let the dogs out:eek:

You've had me laughing.

Love

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hi sylvia

One is a sheep and the other is a little teddy bear. I originally bought the sheep for our dog to play with because it went 'baaaa' and moved but the dog killed it:rolleyes:

It is lovely that he has control of something in his life and he can control this monkey family and the dog family.:)

Love

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Helen the song Who let the dogs out was one of the Grandchildrens favourite. So I bought the c.d. to which the children told me Grandad won't recognise it because he sings it only when he has had Barcardi and coke.

Love from Christine xxxx

shelagh

Sep 28, 2009
Staffordshire
The impulse to care is still there, he must have been like that before he was ill. Toys do seem to help. I notice that I often cuddle my grandchildren's toys when I have the opportunity, easier thn squirmy toddlers or teenagers who squeeze me to death.I hope when I get worse my family get some for me. Perhaps I ought to go anc choose some favourites now.
Thank you for the picture
Shelagh

Bristolbelle

Aug 18, 2006
Bristol
Helen...

That is one of the most beautiful pictures I've seen in a long long time. It so wonderfully shows the sheer confusion of this illness, whilst displaying the loving tnederness trapped inside. It totally epitomises one face of dementia. I wonder have you thought about the possibilty of sharing this with a wider audience, I was thinkng perhaps on some awareness literature? I find a lot of this merely show some person looking confused, or smiling absently, but doesn't really show some of the behaviours very well.
A picture is worth a thousand words - this one is worth far more.

carrie99

Apr 26, 2009
Yorkshire
Furry Animals

Coincidentally I have just bought a couple of 'Jelly Cat' toys!
Although they are really for small children they can be surprisingly comforting. (The real cat also gives comfort when he is not bringing in dead animals)

Carrie

Last edited:

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
The impulse to care is still there, he must have been like that before he was ill. Toys do seem to help. I notice that I often cuddle my grandchildren's toys when I have the opportunity, easier thn squirmy toddlers or teenagers who squeeze me to death.I hope when I get worse my family get some for me. Perhaps I ought to go anc choose some favourites now.
Thank you for the picture
Shelagh
:) Well, Christmas is coming Shelagh! :D And I trust we shall see some pictures of your 'extended family' if so. :rolleyes:

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Helen

Didn't Alan have a favourite cuddley Dog as well? I don't see him, but perhaps that's because he's so special he sleeps with Alan!

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Lovely pic Helen. Alan's caring personality shows. The large brown chimp (2nd from top) looks as if he has had a few too many!!

Jan

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Such a simple thing and so effective in maintaining his welfare! I only wish that something like this could help Ken to a better state.

Did this come naturally with the toys you had already got for the dog or did you instigate it by buying a soft toy to try it out?

My mother has stuffed toys all over the house. I think she gets comfort from them because she kept dogs all her life and the stuffed variety are a satisdfactory substitute for her.

xxTinaT

Michele

Oct 6, 2007
Helen,

What a lovely picture.

That is what my mum does - she has her dog called sammy and her teddy bear called ted. She takes them to be every night, and in the morning sits them in the lounge.

If she comes to us for the night, they come with her.

xx

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Didn't Alan have a favourite cuddley Dog as well?

Hi Lynne, Alan has a litter of dogs. They had already been put to bed on the chair in the music room upstairs. The three bigger dogs inhabit our bed at night.
Did this come naturally with the toys you had already got for the dog or did you instigate it by buying a soft toy to try it out?
Hi Tina, It started by a friend noticing that Alan was eyeing up one of her stuffed dogs and she mentioned it to me and asked if she could give it to him. I said 'yes' not realising at all the impact it would have. To see him take it was like watching a real puppy being given into loving hands and it was very moving. It then eventually built up into a litter because other people wanted to offer him enjoyment;) I have now told everyone that he mustn't have any more so that it doesn't become a big burden to him because he takes their care very seriously.

The apes are mine and I use them in my work occasionally. Alan has never really taken much notice of them. One night whilst he was sundowning, I instinctively just picked up the orang utan and placed it in his arms and the calming effect was instantaneous!!! I posted a thread about it with some pictures. Since that time he has adopted the ape family too.

Thank you all for your kind and positive comments. Here is a link to the original thread and pictures http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showthread.php?t=18006&page=2

Love

Last edited:

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Hi Lynne, Alan has a litter of dogs. They had already been put to bed on the chair in the music room upstairs. The three bigger dogs inhabit our bed at night.

... I have now told everyone that he mustn't have any more so that it doesn't become a big burden to him because he takes their care very seriously.
AND because soon there will be no room for you?!!

shelagh

Sep 28, 2009
Staffordshire
:) Well, Christmas is coming Shelagh! :D And I trust we shall see some pictures of your 'extended family' if so. :rolleyes:

Well when I get a phone with a camera - mine is really ancient - and I learn to upload I'll post some. Including my wonderful grandchildren 9 of them 10 any day don

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear Shelagh, It'll be nice to see your extensive family:) Here's how to post pictures for then.TO ANYONE WANTING TO KNOW HOW TO POST PHOTOS AND PICTURES

Print this off and follow step by step

Click 'New Reply' as usual when you want to post a message.

Type your message and then scroll down and
Click 'Manage Attachments'

click 'Browse'

Choose photo or picture from your computer file which stores your photos and pictures

Click 'Upload'

Click 'Close the Window'

Scroll back up to your typed message

Click the paperclip

Click the attachment

Click 'Submit Reply' as usual when you've finished your post.

HEY PRESTO

practice with one picture or photo and if it doesn't appear it will probably need re-sizing first which is as easy as pie and I will post how to do it if necessary.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
That is a marvellous picture Helen! I think I'll try the soft toy bit with my mum. I know I'm sucker for soft toys and would happily take a teddy to bed!!!!:eek: Maybe something like that would help my mum. Take care. Izzy x