Pete now falling over

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Hi Everyone

I hope you all managed to get some sleep last night

It's a little while since I updated Pete's progress.

Pete now walks with his head resting on his chest. Also in the last 10 days he's had numerous falls at the CH. Sometimes it's when he's walking other times it's when he's trying to sit down and 'misses' the chair.As he's a prolific 'wanderer' he needs someone with him all the time; the carers are aware of this and do their very best but he has at times still fallen. Luckily he sort of falls 'gracefully' so he just slides to the floor-then it needs a hoist to lift him. He is going tyo have a meds review soon-perhaps that will help.

It's pitiful to see a relatively young man (67) who was once so fit and healthy in such a state.

Take care

Lyn T

Lyn T

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Sorry to hear about your husbands falls Lyn, I hope the medication change will help,

Best wishes, Jeany x

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I'm sorry to hear that Lyn. There is so rarely anything that improves with this illness, it seems so much an uphill struggle for such downhill progress.
Sorry, that's not a very uplifting comment but it is so sad as you know so well.
I do hope that the meds can be adjusted and that this will have an improved effect on Pete.
sending love and sympathy to both you and Pete.x

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Thank you Jeany and Saffie

Saffie did you manage to battle through the forest to see Dave?

The storms were something else:(

Take care

Lyn T

WGA

Jan 11, 2014
Hi Lyn T,

My dad also constantly has his head on his chest and falls over all the time (due to his Parkinson's). But I must say, the head thing drives me crazy! I just get so angry at him for it. I know it's not his fault but I can't seem to just let him sit there like it, walk with his head there or eat with his head there. And I remind him all the time but his head just sinks back down. I know the muscle in his neck are getting weaker though which is causing this.

Any advice on how to help him with this or/and how to just allow this to happen would be much appreciated! In a weird way it's kinda nice to know it's not just dad that this happens to

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Hi Lyn T,

My dad also constantly has his head on his chest and falls over all the time (due to his Parkinson's). But I must say, the head thing drives me crazy! I just get so angry at him for it. I know it's not his fault but I can't seem to just let him sit there like it, walk with his head there or eat with his head there. And I remind him all the time but his head just sinks back down. I know the muscle in his neck are getting weaker though which is causing this.

Any advice on how to help him with this or/and how to just allow this to happen would be much appreciated! In a weird way it's kinda nice to know it's not just dad that this happens to

Hi WGA

I'm afraid it wouldn't help me telling P to hold his head up. He has a contracture (I think that's how you spell it) in his neck and he wouldn't understand the instruction anyway. So when he's fed someone has to sit on a lower chair to spoon the food into his mouth. He's still got a good appetite thank goodness, but quite often he forgets he has to open his mouth to get any food.

His right hand is stiffening so he has trouble holding sandwiches etc. I think this is a usual symptom with Alz (no idea of Parkinson's)

Take care

Lyn T

turbo

Aug 1, 2007
Hello Lyn, I am thinking of you and Pete. I cannot imagine what it is like for you to cope with Pete's constant falls and his neck contracture. 67 is so young.

turbo

Pookie

Dec 29, 2011
Hello Lyn
Peter and me are sending love and cuddles for you and Pete.via pigeon post due to floodind.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Talking Point mobile app

Attachments

• 1391859465226.jpg
    1391859465226.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 526

WGA

Jan 11, 2014
Hi Lyn T,

Thanks for replying. I'm sorry I feel like I was a bit insensitive. I'm really sorry about your husbands condition and the added complications now. Sending hugs your way x

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Hi Lyn T,

Thanks for replying. I'm sorry I feel like I was a bit insensitive. I'm really sorry about your husbands condition and the added complications now. Sending hugs your way x

Hi WGA

No offence taken:)

I often have a little whoop:D when I find symptoms that Pete has discussed on TP. I find more info here than I get from most professionals.

Take care

lyn t

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Saffie did you manage to battle through the forest to see Dave?
Thanks Lyn - yes I did though I have to say that he is not far into the forest as such but there are still enough trees to cause worry, especially as the roads are narrow and the trees loom large over them! The floods around are causing havoc though but not as bad as further west in Somerset. I expect you have problems too being so near to the river.

I often have a little whoop when I find symptoms that Pete has discussed on TP.

Speaking of which, I suppose you've seen my comments about Dave's contracted hand. At the moment it is infection- free but doubt that will last.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Thanks Lyn - yes I did though I have to say that he is not far into the forest as such but there are still enough trees to cause worry, especially as the roads are narrow and the trees loom large over them! The floods around are causing havoc though but not as bad as further west in Somerset. I expect you have problems too being so near to the river.

Speaking of which, I suppose you've seen my comments about Dave's contracted hand. At the moment it is infection- free but doubt that will last.

Hi Saffie

The river is flooded but it's gone to the other side away from where I live. I hated it when ever I drove through the New Forest in the dark and bad weather-all those ponies crossing the road:eek:

I've re read your comments about Dave's hand-I'm so glad it's infection free at the moment. What worries me most about P is how quickly he gets further signs of AD. His deterioration is alarmingly fast; it was only July 2012 that he was officially diagnosed (after being ill by then for over 6 years). Mind you by the time he was diagnosed he was already stage moderate/severe.

I keep telling myself that acceptance of his condition by myself would help ME-but I'm still a bit shell shocked by it all.

I hope Saff had a walk today; my little Billy hates the wind, but I've made him go out:D

Take care

Lyn T

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I'm glad you're safe Lyn, it's raining and blowing like mad now.
Yes, duty walk done. A bit scary with the trees creaking and leaning but, apart from grabbing her collar whilst we ran past a very precarious tree which had another uprooted one leaning on it. it was ok!

Pouring now and blowing like mad! x

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
I am so sorry to read about Pete and sad for you. It is heartbreaking. to see the deterioration. There is no set pattern as to how fast or slow progression will be, or what will change.

Thinking of you
Loo xx

chridgets

Aug 6, 2013
BC Canada
Hi Lyn, it's all a dreadful challenge. I hope you have had a follow-up about the medication. WE had a similar problem. Bridget was falling frequently. I called the doctor and he suggested stopping the patch. Once I stopped the Exelon patch, she stopped falling.