Partner with Dementia (Vascular)

Franya

Nov 16, 2023
My partner has vascular dementia and a very bad temper and I am struggling alone caring for him.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
My partner has vascular dementia and a very bad temper and I am struggling alone caring for him.
my husband has vascular dementia and did have an angry temper but has benefitted from memantine. its calmed him down. i talked to my doctor who referred him to older persons mental health. you need to ask for help but you have to be persitent and keep asking. have you had a needs assessment for your partner and carer assessment for yourself? you need to phone social services.

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello @Franya and welcome to this friendly and supportive forum. There is a wealth of shared experience of dementia to be found here so I am glad you have found us.

I am sorry to read of your Partner's dementia diagnosis. Caring for a loved one with dementia can take over one's life, and I know how isolating that can be. So I would certainly agree, it would be wise to get Social Services involved with a care needs assessment for your partner, and a carer assessment for you. You don't want to suffer carer burnout, as then you will be of no support to him. The following link may help ;

Now you have found us. I know that you'll benefit by being able to share with others, join in conversations, and ask any particular questions you may like to, or just to let off a bit of steam. You will always find understanding here from members that want to help.

jay6

Jun 25, 2023
Mine has vascular dementia too. I think the bad temper and abuse is harder to cope with than the actual caring, so can understand the struggle. I also have to do it alone as no near family. Although I do sometimes wonder if it would make a difference as the PWD can come across as nice and make you look a liar if you say otherwise.