Good days and bad days

Anthoula

Apr 22, 2022
Can anyone please tell me if this is a common trait with Vascular Dementia. My partner, diagnosed nearly 4 years ago, has good days and bad days, but the bad days are very bad and when he has good days he appears almost normal. During the bad days he is seriously confused and delusional all day and then the very next day he is capable of clear reasoning and understanding, and almost his pre-dementia self. I never know which character is going to present itself each morning and how to contend with such extreme variation in his behaviour.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @Anthoula I cannot comment on Vascular Dementia but in general i think that what you describe it quite common in different types of dementia particularly as the disease progresses.
You might find the attached link useful.

yoy

Jun 19, 2022
It probably is common. I see some of this in my mum. She has been in a care home for a while now, and on a good day I still find myself feeling guilty about her being there, and questioning myself over it. But then there are days where I realise she is definitely in the right place. It's very odd isn't it?

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
mine was diagnosed with vascular dementia almost 4 years ago and jhe has clear days where he can manage and remember, do the things, still goes out by himself and others where i have to keep repeating things and explain everything. depends on what he has done that day and how tired he is. it seems quite extreme but i think you appreciate the good days more after a bad one.

Blissy

Jan 29, 2023
My husband has mixed dementia and now at the stage where there aren't any good days but I do remember in the past having good days when I thought I was making things sound worse than they were. However another day and in no doubt.