Our magic bitter sweet moments šŸ„°šŸ„°šŸ„°

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I used to share my visits with my husband and other residents.

Not as intimately as you @sdmhred but to help my husband feel part of a group and to help other residents who had no visitors feel they were part of a group too and not living in isolation.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Iā€™m glad Iā€™m not the only one @Grannie G
I have found it an unexpected blessing - there are some lovely residents. Sometimes on a rough day another residentā€™s smile makes my dayā€¦I wasnā€™t sure if it was accepted etiquette at first so I checked with the staff.
I find it sad that the vast majority donā€™t have regular visitors. And only The Lady Who Paces seems to have her husband who comes to hang out with her like I do mum. Thereā€™s one younger chap whose wife is in every day but she has 2 buses each way so I think her visits limited by practicalities.

Our chap sadly died this evening. His family have been here all day. I stuck my head round the door this am and it was clear they wanted space so I havenā€™t seen them anymore. Iā€™m thinking I may send a card, but again I donā€™t know the etiquette šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļøšŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļøšŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø

Anyway I am on leave from work now for this week. I want to do some small things for myself šŸ¤”šŸ¤”šŸ¤” I havenā€™t got my paints out for monthsā€¦.I donā€™t feel right doing it at home as thereā€™s so much clearing to be done ā€¦..Iā€™m wondering about getting it out here at the home when mum is having her ā€˜in bedā€™ šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļøšŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø And if we get some sunny days hopefully some hikes šŸƒā€ā™€ļø

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I think it would be really nice for your mum to have you sitting with her doing your painting @sdmhred You never know it might trigger some memory in her.

I imagine it would be therapeutic for you too.

Itā€™ll be interesting to hear how it goes.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Iā€™m glad Iā€™m not the only one @Grannie G
I have found it an unexpected blessing - there are some lovely residents. Sometimes on a rough day another residentā€™s smile makes my dayā€¦I wasnā€™t sure if it was accepted etiquette at first so I checked with the staff.
I find it sad that the vast majority donā€™t have regular visitors. And only The Lady Who Paces seems to have her husband who comes to hang out with her like I do mum. Thereā€™s one younger chap whose wife is in every day but she has 2 buses each way so I think her visits limited by practicalities.

Our chap sadly died this evening. His family have been here all day. I stuck my head round the door this am and it was clear they wanted space so I havenā€™t seen them anymore. Iā€™m thinking I may send a card, but again I donā€™t know the etiquette šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļøšŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļøšŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø

Anyway I am on leave from work now for this week. I want to do some small things for myself šŸ¤”šŸ¤”šŸ¤” I havenā€™t got my paints out for monthsā€¦.I donā€™t feel right doing it at home as thereā€™s so much clearing to be done ā€¦..Iā€™m wondering about getting it out here at the home when mum is having her ā€˜in bedā€™ šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļøšŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø And if we get some sunny days hopefully some hikes šŸƒā€ā™€ļø
i tend to do a certain time clearing then can do what i want as a reward. makes me feel less guilty and i get some things done.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I havenā€™t got my paints out for monthsā€¦.I donā€™t feel right doing it at home as thereā€™s so much clearing to be done ā€¦..Iā€™m wondering about getting it out here at the home when mum is having her ā€˜in bedā€™
I used to take my knitting with me and knit at mums care home. It used to trigger all sorts of memories and conversations with the residents.
I dont think there would be a problems with you taking paints and painting (so long as its not oils and there would be a problem if someone ate them!!)

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
I used to take my knitting with me and knit at mums care home. It used to trigger all sorts of memories and conversations with the residents.
I dont think there would be a problems with you taking paints and painting (so long as its not oils and there would be a problem if someone ate them!!)
Are you @canary implying that eating the knitting is OK then?

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£ the residents here started eating the cat food šŸ˜±šŸ˜± so that is now securely kept behind a baby gate!!!

Bevvywevvy

Nov 22, 2023
Im loving this idea too! I hope I'm in the right place to write this. I still get a bit confused! My pwd beautiful soul woke up yesterday and I went in and started to stroke her arm whilst she was still in bed, simply because I felt like it . For about half an hour, since she was clearly enjoying it. Suddenly she sat up a bit, and looked at me with eyes full of love. Mostly now, her eyes are vacant,staring,looking anxious etc. What a joyful moment. Then, to cement the fleeting session, she leant forward and kissed my face!

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Im loving this idea too! I hope I'm in the right place to write this. I still get a bit confused! My pwd beautiful soul woke up yesterday and I went in and started to stroke her arm whilst she was still in bed, simply because I felt like it . For about half an hour, since she was clearly enjoying it. Suddenly she sat up a bit, and looked at me with eyes full of love. Mostly now, her eyes are vacant,staring,looking anxious etc. What a joyful moment. Then, to cement the fleeting session, she leant forward and kissed my face!
wow!! need to treasure those magic moments.

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
Hi,
Our start to today was unusual.
I came down, turned on the light in our dining room where my OH is in bed.
"Good morning"
" Yes good morning"
"Have you been awake long? You're usually still asleep when I come in"
"Yes, long. Where have you been?"
" Shall I make breakfast?"
"I don't know if I'll live that long!"

Remarkable - ordinary thinking for more than several minutes; and ordinary words for more than four!

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
My week of leave is so far proving productive šŸ˜€ Iā€™ve started a painting, started brainstorming my skills for a CV, got a good hike in, have succeeded in now clearing out all my kitchen drawers and got the fire stick working on mumā€™s TVā€¦..it sounds exhausting but generally chipping away in small bursts is working for me!

Weā€™ve had pancakes at the care home, and today an afternoon tea for Valentineā€™s. Theres a lady on the floor from Northumbriaā€¦.sheā€™s got a gorgeous north-east accent ā€¦but apparently ate sooooo many cakes at the tea she went straight to sleep at 4pm ā€¦.her supper was left in the fridge but am sure she wonā€™t be touching it šŸ¤£šŸ¤£ I did try to get 2 dates for the teaā€¦.the pacer who is sometimes aggressive ( but a sweetie underneath) wasnā€™t allowed in case he was overstimulated & started throwing things, and my other bet told me he was too sleepy šŸ„± Oh well ā€¦next year šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Our exciting news is that mum has been upgraded in roomsā€¦..well thatā€™s what I tell her šŸ¤­šŸ¤­ Theyve actually moved her to a room with laminate flooring rather than carpetā€¦.because when she is hoisted onto the commode the Niagra falls occur and are not always landing in Connie šŸ™ˆšŸ™ˆ BUT we feel very blessed because this room comes with a mini private garden. I am going to love it in the summerā€¦ā€¦

It would be Dadā€™s 91st birthday on Fridayā€¦.he loved pottering around potting plants so weā€™d love to get some to do if I get organisedā€¦.quite what to choose to pot now tho šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļøšŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļøšŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø

Attachments

• 26D0ED4B-3A8C-4D71-A7F6-398E941DF91F.jpeg
    26D0ED4B-3A8C-4D71-A7F6-398E941DF91F.jpeg
    354.9 KB · Views: 108

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
My week of leave is so far proving productive šŸ˜€ Iā€™ve started a painting, started brainstorming my skills for a CV, got a good hike in, have succeeded in now clearing out all my kitchen drawers and got the fire stick working on mumā€™s TVā€¦..it sounds exhausting but generally chipping away in small bursts is working for me!

Weā€™ve had pancakes at the care home, and today an afternoon tea for Valentineā€™s. Theres a lady on the floor from Northumbriaā€¦.sheā€™s got a gorgeous north-east accent ā€¦but apparently ate sooooo many cakes at the tea she went straight to sleep at 4pm ā€¦.her supper was left in the fridge but am sure she wonā€™t be touching it šŸ¤£šŸ¤£ I did try to get 2 dates for the teaā€¦.the pacer who is sometimes aggressive ( but a sweetie underneath) wasnā€™t allowed in case he was overstimulated & started throwing things, and my other bet told me he was too sleepy šŸ„± Oh well ā€¦next year šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Our exciting news is that mum has been upgraded in roomsā€¦..well thatā€™s what I tell her šŸ¤­šŸ¤­ Theyve actually moved her to a room with laminate flooring rather than carpetā€¦.because when she is hoisted onto the commode the Niagra falls occur and are not always landing in Connie šŸ™ˆšŸ™ˆ BUT we feel very blessed because this room comes with a mini private garden. I am going to love it in the summerā€¦ā€¦

It would be Dadā€™s 91st birthday on Fridayā€¦.he loved pottering around potting plants so weā€™d love to get some to do if I get organisedā€¦.quite what to choose to pot now tho šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļøšŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļøšŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø
Lots of gorgeous primroses around at the moment. I think thatā€™s a wonderful way to celebrate his life and memory.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Thanks @Knitandpurl

I needed some decisiveness šŸ„°šŸ„°šŸ„° I went to the garden centre today and bought some trays of primroses we can plant out tomorrow.

Mum has been v tired this week as they alter her meds so she might be watching or sleeping but I will enjoy itā€¦and indeed felt a bit like Dad as he always loved the trip to the garden centre!

funny moment of the day was when one of the carers told me to keep an eye out for a stray padā€¦the male wanderer had been washed and dressed with a pad this am ā€¦.
but come lunchtime it was missing šŸ™ˆšŸ™ˆšŸ˜±šŸ˜± Quite where he has tucked it we await to find outā€¦ā€¦.

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
Re pad can sometimes be a bit like that in our house, but usually on bathroom or bedroom floor. Made me smile - amazing the things we find to smile about. Your Mum will enjoy watching you plant up the primroses. (To be honest my Mum was always quite keen on watching other people work-she liked to organise)šŸ˜„

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janet1980