Only 3rd post, but any advice would be grateful....

kimnjohn69

Dec 21, 2023
Hi all,
My mum has vascular dementia and severe heart failure.
She had a bad weekend,we're twilight nurses were called out 4 times on Saturday and on Sunday morning.Mum became very breathless, unresponsive to anyone and was twitching,which intern made mum gasp for breath.
The nurses came and gave mum midalopam, and oxydone, mum seemed so peaceful and calm in bed.My sister,who lives with mum and dad,didn't want mum to have injectable, so she didn't call them back just let mum sleep.until Sunday afternoon, when me and my daughter left,my mum didn't eat or drink for over 24 hours,but as soon as myself and eldest daughter left ,she had given my mum, 3 cups of water, sandwich, soup, all in the afternoon evening.My mum seemed to have had a miracle, awake and talking.My concern is, she keeps mum in her chair all day, she has fed mum 4 different foods since she woke today at 7am,when she wakes her. Mum has started getting a little breathless, but my sisterhas said she is dizzy,she argues with me and my daughters about things happening withmum,and says she knows what things are with mum, she is dealing with mum all the time.She has stopped the oxycodone and only giving paracetamol, my mum feels,when her breathlessness starts,she is falling backwards, I have tried to tell my sister about being behind my mum when she puts chair back a bit, and when mum is in bed, pulling her up bed from behind her, could be the reason mum is feeling of falling, but my sister says we don't know anything,again saying she is the one there all the time.I have rang our dr, asshe is mum pallative dr, and they have had reason for concern from nurses from weekend, but we are waiting on Dr and nurse getting together for home visit.if anyone has any suggestions or advice it would be much appreciated Kim

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Hi all,
My mum has vascular dementia and severe heart failure.
She had a bad weekend,we're twilight nurses were called out 4 times on Saturday and on Sunday morning.Mum became very breathless, unresponsive to anyone and was twitching,which intern made mum gasp for breath.
The nurses came and gave mum midalopam, and oxydone, mum seemed so peaceful and calm in bed.My sister,who lives with mum and dad,didn't want mum to have injectable, so she didn't call them back just let mum sleep.until Sunday afternoon, when me and my daughter left,my mum didn't eat or drink for over 24 hours,but as soon as myself and eldest daughter left ,she had given my mum, 3 cups of water, sandwich, soup, all in the afternoon evening.My mum seemed to have had a miracle, awake and talking.My concern is, she keeps mum in her chair all day, she has fed mum 4 different foods since she woke today at 7am,when she wakes her. Mum has started getting a little breathless, but my sisterhas said she is dizzy,she argues with me and my daughters about things happening withmum,and says she knows what things are with mum, she is dealing with mum all the time.She has stopped the oxycodone and only giving paracetamol, my mum feels,when her breathlessness starts,she is falling backwards, I have tried to tell my sister about being behind my mum when she puts chair back a bit, and when mum is in bed, pulling her up bed from behind her, could be the reason mum is feeling of falling, but my sister says we don't know anything,again saying she is the one there all the time.I have rang our dr, asshe is mum pallative dr, and they have had reason for concern from nurses from weekend, but we are waiting on Dr and nurse getting together for home visit.if anyone has any suggestions or advice it would be much appreciated Kim
is it worth asking for an ot just to assess and see if they can suggest different ways and equipment.