One Step Forward

Dave W

Jul 3, 2005
Bucks
And on we plod

Went to see Mum last night. Staff very friendly, as ever, but the usual initial 20 minute tirade of how she doesn't like it there and she won't/can't settle. I don't know how much this is the whole 'I want to go home' issue (this has been pretty constant, even when she was at home: she was phoning taxis at 2am to take her to the house she was standing in). She has complained that the food is tiny and insubstantial, so I'll have a word with home about that, but beyond that I guess all we can do is wait to see if she does begin to settle? (Having seemed much sharper and comprehending at the weekend, the fog seemed to be descending again last night.)

I'll get to the DWP re AA (at least it's costing less then!) and see what happens. I do feel guilty - I think reasonably - that she's now a long way from anyone except me, and she's asked how her friends will visit her. I'll get people sending cards asap, as I think that'll help. And I'm going to take her dog to see her on Sunday, as she's always been an animal lover.

I'm hoping the 6 week review doesn't decide we have to transplant her again, but she's seems suddenly quite apologetic to me (I think the home may having been saying how much effort I've made - I certainly haven't, as it's all been doing stuff she won't appreciate me having done!) and wasn't expecting us to visit midweek.

Another day, another new angle to try to wrap your head (and life) around. We all deserve medals.

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
Dave, if there's any way you can get there at meal times then that is your best bet of knowing if the meals really are 'tiny and insubstantial'. Also, I wouldn't worry too much about the 6 week review, if there is a problem then you would normally know well before that. Many homes seem to see these reviews as just a formality, so much so that noone from my mum's home sent anyone to her review with us and the social worker. One of the care assistants came in the end - I guess she drew the short straw!

May

Oct 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Dave
Sorry you're feeling so blue at the moment, it's not surprising though given what's happened over the past few weeks. Be kind to yourself. :) As to the 'old tom' have you tried your local Cats Protection branch? They are usually pretty good in emergency situations, even with the elderly mogs.