No more biscuits šŸ™

SweetPepper

Feb 3, 2022
My mum is aged 86 and has Alzheimerā€™s. Sheā€™s been in a care home since September 2022 - I picked a lovely home which is only a few miles from me and visit a couple of times a week.

Mum is doubly incontinent and non-weight bearing, and not often verbal now. She watches the activities which go on around her but would refuse to engage or join in. Sheā€™s been moved onto soft foods only due to not chewing, then choking (she has regular dental visits and hygiene appointments). Iā€™m just very sad that mums probably last enjoyment in life, biscuits and cake, has had to be taken from her by this disease, itā€™s just another nasty little cruelty which cannot be solved.

I cannot help but think that when the GP rang me in December 2022 and said that unless she went onto blood thinners that day sheā€™d be dead with a fortnight he made the wrong choice in prescribing them. I donā€™t have POA for health so told him I could not make the decision as I didnā€™t know what mum would want, which is true, but Iā€™m sure she wouldnā€™t have chosen this long death.

DeeCee7

Oct 13, 2023
I am sorry to read this @SweetPepper . As you say, itā€™s her last little bit of pleasure being taken away. Is it possible to have another discussion with the GP about her medication, and what can be done about it? I have just been reading about a similar dilemma ā€œ can we remove mothers medsā€ .

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
My mum is aged 86 and has Alzheimerā€™s. Sheā€™s been in a care home since September 2022 - I picked a lovely home which is only a few miles from me and visit a couple of times a week.

Mum is doubly incontinent and non-weight bearing, and not often verbal now. She watches the activities which go on around her but would refuse to engage or join in. Sheā€™s been moved onto soft foods only due to not chewing, then choking (she has regular dental visits and hygiene appointments). Iā€™m just very sad that mums probably last enjoyment in life, biscuits and cake, has had to be taken from her by this disease, itā€™s just another nasty little cruelty which cannot be solved.

I cannot help but think that when the GP rang me in December 2022 and said that unless she went onto blood thinners that day sheā€™d be dead with a fortnight he made the wrong choice in prescribing them. I donā€™t have POA for health so told him I could not make the decision as I didnā€™t know what mum would want, which is true, but Iā€™m sure she wouldnā€™t have chosen this long death.
I understand where you are coming from but I believe the doctor had an obligation to prescribe the medication as you didnā€™t have POA and he had certain responsibilities that he had to assume under those circumstances. My guess is that stage your mum was not at end of life and looking back in hindsight, perhaps it was the only decision he could make, that he didnā€™t actually have any other choice.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
cake & cream = soft, even if its squirty cream that you take in , biscuits not so much.

Dont do away with the pleasures, adapt them

SweetPepper

Feb 3, 2022
I understand where you are coming from but I believe the doctor had an obligation to prescribe the medication as you didnā€™t have POA and he had certain responsibilities that he had to assume under those circumstances. My guess is that stage your mum was not at end of life and looking back in hindsight, perhaps it was the only decision he could make, that he didnā€™t actually have any other choice.

Oh I completely agree - it was their decision to make. Iā€™m looking at it more from a personal angle, and thinking what a bloominā€™ awful end sheā€™s slowly travelling.

SweetPepper

Feb 3, 2022
I am sorry to read this @SweetPepper . As you say, itā€™s her last little bit of pleasure being taken away. Is it possible to have another discussion with the GP about her medication, and what can be done about it? I have just been reading about a similar dilemma ā€œ can we remove mothers medsā€ .
Iā€™m not kept in the loop by the GP or the CH on her meds or how she is. Thatā€™s not a complaint - I donā€™t actively seek it out, I visit a couple of times a week and chat to carers, nurses etc but have never had a sit down discussion with anyone about mum. I suppose I should? I mean, I donā€™t know if itā€™s the norm to be very involvedā€¦ Iā€™m very happy with the CH and the care she receives.

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
My mum still enjoys biscuits and cake is itā€™s mushed up with some warm milk, maybe worth a try.
Donā€™t beat yourself up with the what ifā€™s life is hard enough as it is. X

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Iā€™m not kept in the loop by the GP or the CH on her meds or how she is. Thatā€™s not a complaint - I donā€™t actively seek it out, I visit a couple of times a week and chat to carers, nurses etc but have never had a sit down discussion with anyone about mum. I suppose I should? I mean, I donā€™t know if itā€™s the norm to be very involvedā€¦ Iā€™m very happy with the CH and the care she receives.
Iā€™m the same, Iā€™m not going to seek out info . I made it clear that if mum needed anything to let me know but that I did not want to be bombarded with calls, just the need to know stuff. I have had to do this to protect my very fragile mental health.

Alisongs

May 17, 2024
East of England

You've had the squirty cream suggestion..... How about cookies n cream milkshakes? Lots of different brands and retailers, widely available